funny audition stories

At the end of last year for Band placement auditions for this year, the lead trombone player of the top band decided that giving blood was more important than auditioning and gave blood 30 minutes before the audition. When auditions were about to start we had to get him from the blood drive room(which was in the Old Band Hall) to play. He asked the director if someone could hold is horn up while he played but was told it wouldn't be aloud so he played best he could. He ended up making first chair second band.

I remember for our summer band auditions (bass clarinet) when our dm came up to play we put key oil in his chair, so his butt was wet, we sprayed it on him while he played. we took his music when he closed his eyes to play his scale, my (used to be fat) section member walked by in front of him, and flashed him LMAO. good time, good times :lol:

Wow we never do anything like that at school auditions. Our directors take them really seriously... <_<

This year after the audition i tried to hold the door open for everyone with my foot while being turned around talking to my friends at the same time. I lost my balance (not an uncommon occurance for me :rolleyes: ) and in the process of catching it pulled up on my bell. The bell came off and the restof the instrument fell to the floor. :o So I broke a 5 thousand dollar instrument...whoops.

It's ok cause now i get to play our school's brand new never-been-used bassoon. ^_^

(This has nothing to do with region, by the way.)

Okay, so Nancy08 said she broke her bassoon, right?

So, in 6th grade everyone had plastic bassoons, because they aren't great and people don't want us screwing up good bassoons. This one moron had to pick something up from the ground. He decided it would be a great idea to "balance" the bassoon UPRIGHT on his chair, so it wasn't really that balanced. It ended up falling, of course, and breaking the bell. He was in huge trouble.

(This has nothing to do with region, by the way.)

Okay, so Nancy08 said she broke her bassoon, right?

So, in 6th grade everyone had plastic bassoons, because they aren't great and people don't want us screwing up good bassoons. This one moron had to pick something up from the ground. He decided it would be a great idea to "balance" the bassoon UPRIGHT on his chair, so it wasn't really that balanced. It ended up falling, of course, and breaking the bell. He was in huge trouble.

In middle school I went through like 5 bassoons... :o

The best thing was when I left my horn home one day and somehow, don't ask me how, fire ants built a nest inside it overnight. The next day I managed to get it to school without noticing. When I went into the band hall, however, I opened it up and fireants literally spilled out of it. I carefully shut the case and dragged it outside. Unfortunately, I'm mildly alergic to fireant bites, so I couldn't risk getting bit alot. A bunch of kids ran outside to help me, and we started a sort of asembly line to get the parts out of the case. To get the ants out we used the cleaning cloths. Eventually we got everything cleaned out, but the pads were eaten right off the keys. Apparently they wanted the moisture from the pads cause we were in a drought. In a week or so we came back and there was a new fireant hill right outside the bandhall where we'd cleaned the ants out. ^_^

That's scary!

In 6th grade we had band right after lunch, and the director would always stress the importance of swabbing out our clarinets after we played in case any food from our mouth got lodged in there (lovely picture, I know).

Sure enough, this one girl that never swabbed out opened up her case one day and there was a roach in her slot, trying to get into her case!

That's so gross!! We have roaches everywhere in our bandhall cause people leave food in their slots. That reminds me of something I read about double reeds. Basically breaking in your reed means coating the inside with dust, dirt siliva, mucus, and food particles. That's what gives a reed it's dark sound, and why new reeds are always so bright. Of course too much build up can get very disgusting... :blink:

first off, all that stuff just said is disgusting! lol.

well i heard about one of my trumpet friends did a crab dance on his way back to his chair after his last etude, just to mess with the marcus trumpets in there. he got 1st chair with a marcus chick in 2nd chair. i also heard that another kid did a DDR type dance in the audition. and yet another kid laid down and just chilled for a while and decided to wail some high notes from the floor. :lol:

us tubas though, we mess with the music. this one guy always screwed with the fermatas. he would take a HUGE breath and hold out the last note for at least 15 seconds. it was so great! and another guy took the last note on etude 50 down an octave. auditions were really fun this year, lemme tell ya. ^_^