• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leander...after that disappointing 6th place finish at the CP Festival last week, I knew you guys would really turn it on this week. Great job, and good luck for the rest of the season! We'll always be out there to support y'all.

thank you very much. that really means alot and i really am digging vista's show this year.

congrats to every one.

i LOVED cedar park's show. lots of velocity.

didnt get to see bowie, but my dad works at bowie and i have heard good things.

didn't care for round rock's show.

connaly was very entertaining.

good luck to all at UIL.

Yeah just from the very brief section of Bowie's perfomance that i heard(didn't get to see it) they very much deserved their music score.

I liked Round Rock's show but after seeing it 3 times in 2 days I wouldn't mind not seeing it for awhile.

CP's show was good. Did ya'll add or change things? I thought it seemed different from last weeks...maybe it was just my imagination...

GL to everyone next week.

While watching Cedar Park, I was so excited because I love Fire of Eternal Glory. However, I was not a big fan of the arrangement. It is a great song and the band definitely has a great sound, but the show seems to just come out of nowhere and play it at the end. Also, the drum part during the actual fire part, I didn't really thnk it sounds that great accompanying the band. Overall, the band seems to have rebounded from last year and probably will make state.

I will be the first to say that Dripping Springs marches and plays the heck out of their music. It's just hard for me to determine whether I agree with their placement because the level of difficulty in their show is not at all as high as the level of difficulty in ours or Hendrickson's. They definitely deserve to be rewarded for the cleanliness of their show, but I don't think it should have been through the way that it was. I'm fairly new to the BOA world because this is the first year that we are going to be competing in a BOA contest, but do they have a way of factoring in the difficulty of the show to your score (kind of like a "strength of schedule" in college football's BCS rankings)? Was the Design/GE category supposed to account for that at Westlake, or was there not much of a way for it to be included?

Well props do get annoying but some bands dont really use them, they just have them as designs to help tell the story of the show. Like Lassiter 2002. I love that show, especially the musi they play. Anyone have the titles of the song that they play???

Here's the video of that show...(pulled it off of Skramps New Place)

Lassiter 2002

I will be the first to say that Dripping Springs marches and plays the heck out of their music. It's just hard for me to determine whether I agree with their placement because the level of difficulty in their show is not at all as high as the level of difficulty in ours or Hendrickson's. They definitely deserve to be rewarded for the cleanliness of their show, but I don't think it should have been through the way that it was. I'm fairly new to the BOA world because this is the first year that we are going to be competing in a BOA contest, but do they have a way of factoring in the difficulty of the show to your score (kind of like a "strength of schedule" in college football's BCS rankings)? Was the Design/GE category supposed to account for that at Westlake, or was there not much of a way for it to be included?

I think Danpod put it best (I spoke with him after BOA Arlington when we didn't make finals), and he said, "Right now the judges have to go off what they see. That can't look at a show and say 'Oh, that'll be good.' It's not being judged off of potential."

And yes, I agree BOA needs GE (I mean, c'mon), but you can achieve GE without using props all over the field, electronics up the butt, rappers, pyrotechnics, wizards, magic, or any of the like. It's all about your show design.

And yes, I agree BOA needs GE (I mean, c'mon), but you can achieve GE without using props all over the field, electronics up the butt, rappers, pyrotechnics, wizards, magic, or any of the like. It's all about your show design.

No but they seem to help out....Id like to see someone do some magic in a show...make the trumpet section disappear...

Yeah that is why you don't see a lot of bands. I'm finding this board so much nicer than the previous one at Cedar Park.

So Cedar Park, you want more feedback.. I have to agree that the arrangement of the song isn't so great, but what y'all are doing with it is actually really nice. The woodwind run was so clean. I was in shock..We had a woodwind run in our show, but had to take it out because the pit and the woodwind section couldn't play it together.. =(

Soo for UIL, I see scores got really close. We were lucky to even keep our third place, but now if the kids don't step it up a notch there is no way we can get 1 for UIL. We won't have a percussion judge to dock points up for us. >.<

no.

BOA is all smoke and mirrors.

if you dont dance and/or have electronics and rappers in your show, you probably wont do very well.

there wasn't one band in finals that didn't march and play the heck out of their show. being flashy is just a plus. they can play, march AND have the bells and whistles. that shows much more than just marching and playing.

not that marching and playing isn't a crucial part.

you can't just go and do magic tricks and expect to make finals.