Review: BOA Louisville, KY

Bands of America Regional Championships

Papa John's Cardinal Stadium

Louisville, KY

September 23, 2006

Tornado Watch. Severe Weather Warning. Flood Watch. These words kept flashing across my TV screen at the Springs Inn in Lexington, Kentucky. "Two girls were dropped off by a cab in downtown Lexington swept into an underground storm drain." "A man was rescued out the trees due to flooding on Nicholasville Road." "A motorist died after skidding off Interstate 65 into floodwaters near Elizabethtown." Was I going to brave the weather in a two-hour drive to one of the biggest high school marching band contests in the nation? heck YEAH!

It was a dark and dreary morning, the roads covered with wet. I got in my tan KIA Sorento rental vehicle with all I would need for a day that would surely be soaking. I had a baseball cap, a rain jacket, a rain poncho, a bag of cashews, a notebook, a set of pens, and plenty of maps to help me get around this state I have not been in before.

At 5:30 am, there were few cars. The rain was light, but I knew I was going to be in for a wild ride when the pellets started pouncing. I drove up New Circle Road onto Highway 60, and Highway 60 all the way up to...wait. No. Police cars? Flashing lights? What was THIS? The bypass of Highway 60 was closed, likely due to flooding. There was one police car blocking the road nearby, and in the distance I could make out the lights of yet another car.

"Now for a lesson in crative DRIVING," I said to myself, concerned yet focused. I broke out one of my maps and traced highway 60 which had a route leading through the business sector of Versailles. "Ah-ha!" I cried, and then I drove onwards without looking back.

Whether or not you think you are going the right way does not matter when the road ahead is dark and the sides of the road are just as dark. But with sound determination, I drove on...and finally, finally reached Highway 64 (East), which would take me to the heart of Louisville.

The rain came down hard, and I drove my car slow. The tires sliced and splashed through water, but with control. As miles upon miles were travelled, the bright lights and big city of Louisville soon emerged. A hop, skip, and a jump to one highway...and a quick turn off...and THERE.

Papa John's Cardinal stadium, true to name "Cardinal," had a lot of red in its color. It was shaped like a horseshoe, with gates at several points around. Street sweepers were humming back and forth, and that was the most activity I saw when I was there, with the exception of a few cars parked here and there and some folks gathering. I figured those who were near the main gate would tell me what the plan was. This is when I found out that the regional had been cancelled. The plan? Ha ha! There is no plan. Well...kinda sorta. You see, the track around the field had been flooded, like a moat. The body of water there was so deep, it was said, that a raft or boat would have to ferry pit supplies back and forth and THAT, it was said, was why no field shows would commence. However, BOA did have an another plan, it seemed. We were told that the bands would perform in a standstill performance at the Louisville Male High School Gymnasium. Cool! We were also told that there would likely not be enough room for those who want to see the bands do this...and that maybe the parents of each group would get to see thier own group perform. Uh, not cool? But the point was this: this regional ain't happenin'. You can try to slice it this way or that way, but there was no way.

While standing in what was now light rain, I was surprised to hear, "Alan?" Wolfgang, long one of the most mysterious and celebrated BOA forumites, was standing outside his car which was parked right next to mine! Wolfgang had driven from Indianapolis to catch this star-studded show, and was just as disappointed as I was that it was, sadly, no more. But being the hardcore fans Wolfgang and myself were, we wanted to see the bands perform anyways. And with Wolfgang's help I was able to get to Louisville Male High School by following him...but not before we got breakfast. (Thanks again for paying, buddy!)

After eating breakfast and talking "band" (both locally and nationally), we made our way to the contingency place. Some sort of Vietnam Memorial service was going on at the school, which jammed one of the parking lots up. The parking lot we were in, though, was nice and clear. It was not long before we found a band, unloading their trailer and preparing. But then...we encountered the "Parent Police."

Yes, the "Parent Police." Wolfgang and I, looking like we were not from 'round there, of course (because we weren't), were asked by these two Louisville Male High School band ladies, "Who are you guys with?" We were honest and had nothing to hide, so I told them we were "fans," more or less. And then the two ladies let us have it! They made us feel unwelcomed, explaining that there would be NO spectators allowed within the gymnasium (which includes parents), that Louisville Male was "lucky" to get the gymnasium since a big memorial was on site, that the only people allowed in the gym were judges and bands, and that we should probably not just move our cars but leave the premises entirely since there would be buses and trailers coming (and needing room to park and unload). And that was that!

Wolfgang and I stuck around for a bit to hear the Louisville Male High School Marching Band warm up on their home turf. (They are playing what sounds like a variation on Gustav Holst's, "The Planets.") And then after seeing L. Scott McCormick arrive and do some PR work, we decided to depart.

Unfortunately, this "review" did not cover the bands that were scheduled to be at today's BOA Regional Championships in Louisville, KY...but has instead given you a better picture of what WAS, what COULD HAVE BEEN, and what WASN'T. Nevertheless, it was worth a try (I hope?)

Until next time, at the Bands of America Regional Championships in Flagstaff, Arizona...

Alan Irons

Fountain Valley High School Marching Band 1993-1996

Pacific Crest of Diamond Bar 1997

Nashua Spartans 1998-1999

UCSB Class of 2002