... But You Can Please Some of the People

euro_euph06

THIS IS IN RESPONSE TO You Can't Please All of the People, All of the Time

... But You Can Please Some of the People, Some of the Time

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

More Fan Reaction about the 2006 Cadets Production

We always love to hear what Cadets fans (and detractors) have to say about our on-field production. Monday we offered some feedback from the first few shows... here's the next installment.

If you want your thoughts publsihed, send them to hopkins@yea.org.

Mr. Hopkins,

I attended FirstBeat! in Columbia, SC this past weekend. The Cadets are, and have always been, my favorite corps from the time I saw my first show live (in 2000) til my most recent (2006).

It makes me bitter when I read responses from those that are convinced, because "they" dont enjoy innovation and new additions to the world of drum corps, a show is "junk" and should "not be allowed."

I absolutely LOVED the show. Words can NOT describe how I felt after seeing the performance this past Saturday. I was skeptical when I heard the idea of "The Zone" was to be revisited because I was worried it wouldn't live up to the prior years success. Once again, The Cadets amazed me. From the AMAZING concept at the beginning (with repeating the ending with no music), I was captivated. The hornline came in with stunning power followed by what I believe promises to be the best percussion feature in the history of DCI. As the percussion faded away and the hornline reentered, I could only watch in astonishment at how "cool" this show really is. Aside from the mic issues (I know how bad luck can strike w/ electrical problems), the ballad gave me chills. As the drumline reentered for the closer and the corps closed the door to "the zone," I sat in awe at how, once again, The Cadets had produced a program that brought me, and everyone around me, to my feet.

And this was only the third performance, with a recently finished and uncompleted show.

I take my hat off to you guys (and girls) for doing what you do every day, night after night, through injuries, money problems, critique, and the unexpected events that make up a DCI summer.

I just want you to know that there are fans out there that love DCI not for just what it is, but what it will be. I respect The Cadets more than ever for pushing that envelope with mind-boggling innovations that continue to wow audiences from coast-to-coast.

I wish you the best of luck this season. I'll be there in Madison pulling for you guys, whether you are taking home trophies or not.

Have a great season!

Torey Riser

Dear George,

I just wanted to give you a few of my thoughts after seeing the emails posted on your site and after seeing The Cadets show in person. Over the years, The Cadets have grown on me to a point that I hope they continue to win year after year. I'm from South Carolina and have been a fan of Crown since their 03 season. Me and a couple of friends went to the FirstBeat show in Columbia on Saturday night. When the staff rolled the door on to the field, people around me just gave confused looks towards each other. Having prior read about the show, I was excited to see what you guys would bring to the field this year. Unlike many, I was actually disappointed that you guys didn't use the door more than just at the beginning and end.

Now on the singing, many don't like that DCI has allowed that kind of "stuff" into competition. People hated in 04 when Crown sang during their ballad and people hate it still in 06 when Cadets use it. I personally think it adds something new to the corps. My only question is why didn't people raise any kind of gripe during 05 when you guys did the drum speak? Wouldn't that be technically the same thing as singing?

Take a look back over the years. There are two corps that come to mind that have helped shape what DCI is today. One of those is Velvet Knights and none other than Star of Indiana. I find it funny that people in 93 hated Star's show yet they placed 2nd that year and over 10 years later it would become one of the most memorable shows to date. It would also get voted onto the DCI Classic Countdown only being the second most voted for behind 89 Phantom Regiment.

After all this, the only thing I can think to say is that one day The Cadets and YEA! will be praised for what they have done along with other corps to help shape what DCI will become in the next few years. With time comes changes like expanding the amount of space that the pit can use to how many people are allowed to march in a Div. 1 corps. I personally think people just need to take the changes as they come and not refer to them as "junk".

Thank you for your time,

Chad W.

George,

Regarding this year's show:

I read the e-mails on the YEA site about the show and I have only this to say. If you are convicted about doing the kind of show you're doing and you feel the experience is great for the kids then do it! All the folks calling singing junk and labeling themselves as "Drum Corps Traditionalists" are missing the point. I always thought you were trying to include as many people as possible and make the production as unique as possible. Bravo!

Though there are different strokes for different folks I think you're doing the right thing and challenging the activity at a time when no one else is willing to push buttons.

Best of luck to you,

Patton Hunnicutt