So I'm just a graduating sophomore in HS and I'm wondering about pursuing a career pathway in music. I'm not quite sure exactly what, I know I want to eventually become a composer. For anyone who has already been down this road or is currently traveling down it, how hard is it to make a living as a musician? And how long / how many years of college would you estimate before being able to get a stable and comfortable lifestyle together? My parents wanted me to take the money maker job and become a dentist, but I've recently been thinking about music and how I love it. I just need some feedback on how it would work out for me, plus entering my junior year I should probably start doing some studying on some of my career ideas

Ever heard the term starving artist? Lol, but seriosuly, it is hard to make it as a composer, from what I've heard. I'm not sure if you have posted anything or not, but I don't ever recall hearing any of your work, so its hard for me to say for sure. Perhaps you cold post something you've written? That would help me get a better grip on your situation... but yeah, like I said, starving artist. But good luck to you, sir. It's not the path for me, but I figure I'll keep writing as a hobby anyways.

well the only things i've written are piano pieces with my tutor, but I would be happy with having something else in the music career as my main job (IE Band director or other stable jobs). I do want to compose as a side job, and perhaps if i become good enough then switch to that as my main job. Mostly I'm clueless as to how all that's going to work out, though

i took music theory this past year (or atleast something resembling it lol)

and i was lucky to have a couple people in the music industry talk with us. One was Wayne Downey and another was Mark Higinbotham, both well known for music they've written and work they have done with schools and other music organizations (ie: corps)

One thing that Mr. Higginbotham said was that he was "Very lucky" to make a living off of his music. "only about 1 out of 9 (or more i dont remember) can actually make a living off of writing music."

Mr. Downey also pointed this out. He also stated that he grew up loving music (even pointing out the ipod he was carrying with him and telling us what he was listening to 5 minutes before). He said if you really like music u should follow your dream and take that path.

^both of these ppl - really cool & down to earth and respect a kid the same way they would an adult (just my 2 cents)

now heres a joke..

"the money maker job and become a dentist" lol

a dentist is just someone who dropped out of medical school

It's noteworthy to mention on the topic of money....

Drill and music can cost thousands and thousands of dollars. It's not unheard of to pay people upwards of $5,000 for a marching show (at least the drill).

And then, there is being a clinician. Can someone say hundreds of dollars an hour?

Now, if you can hold down a job as a band director or performer (ie., play in gigs and teach private lessons), which can be a decent salary (more than a teacher). You're set. Tack on the drill/music or clinicing, and you're secure.

Lmao, I think I'm having deja vu; and you are correct, I am amazing at pretty much everything.

Just ask your mother. Lmao! I'm just messing with ya. But really, you have no idea how bad it was. I saw a video of the UTA marching contest from either 91 or 92.... apparently, there used to be quite a few more bands that attended... but anyways, the drill we had was ungodly bad. I mean really. Really. really. Bad.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in a similar situation. I just graduated from Hebron and am going to attend the Juilliard School next year for oboe performance. I am often plagued with thoughts of a career in music. I do realize that this is a most extremely exclusive profession, however, I really love making music. The only reason that I know that I must pursue this career is that I can't imagine myself doing anything else. My dream is to play in the orchestral setting. Who knows what will happen, but it would be a shame not to try because it means so much to me.

I know that Curtis takes one bassoon undergraduate per year. I also heard on NPR that only 10% of Julliard graduates have a career in music. I know that I couldn't pursue a career in music, it's just too unstable in too many ways. Unless you go for music education, that's the most reasonable way to incorporate music into your career. But I can completely understand if that's what you want to do, if that is what you are passionate for.

one thing that many people forget is that...you don't have to go to a famous school like julliard to be awesome on your instrument...there are plenty of texas colleges that are great for performance degrees.

this is the only career that i could even think, or dream about..anything less won't make me happy.

Here is a link to the article, from The New York Times, entitled:

The Juilliard Effect: Ten Years Later

Very good reading and gives "real life" info and stories about those looking for a career in performance.

Good luck in you decision! I decided to devote my life to music, and though it started off rough, things have become so much better! Preserverance is the key!!!

The Curtis Institute is the number one most difficult school to get into. They accept students on the basis of opening. They have only enough students to fulfill an orchestra, so consequently when one student graduates an opening is created. As a result, there is not always an opening. Juilliard is the same way, however, they have more ensembles. So, naturally there will be more openings at Juilliard. And yeah Curtis is free!!! And I totally agree that there are so many great music schools in Texas. Really the school does not matter at all, it's the teacher that matters. Juilliard just happens to have John Mack, arguably the most accomplished player and teacher in the world of oboe. So for me, it's really an oppurtunity that I can't refuse. Good luck to all of you who decide to pursue this career; we're all in it together. And that's a great article, it really highlights how difficult it is, even for conservatory students. It is good to know these things, the reality, but I suppose I just have to try. Maybe I'll end up as an accountant, whatever, but I'll never know unless I give it my all.

I just heard actually that Mr. Mack has at most another year left to live, as a result of a brain tumor. It is really unfortunate but luckily Juilliard has other oboe teachers such as Elaine Douvas. I feel bad for the Cleveland Institute, he's their only teacher, however, knowing that school I'm sure they will get someone amply qualified. As John Mack, I pray that he is mentally well and that suffering is not an issue.