Phantom Regiment

Trumpeter07

Well...in last year's Countdown PR was 7th in the voting. That was the show that most people will call their best show ever. Given that they did win the Countdown this year, my opinion differs. I prefer corps like the Blue Devils and the Old School Cadets. And I don't really bash them. I just don't see why everyone is hyping them out because it is their 50th year of existence.

QUOTE (euro_euph06 @ May 6 2006, 08:11 PM)
Well...in last year's Countdown PR was 7th in the voting. That was the show that most people will call their best show ever. Given that they did win the Countdown this year, my opinion differs. I prefer corps like the Blue Devils and the Old School Cadets. And I don't really bash them. I just don't see why everyone is hyping them out because it is their 50th year of existence.

People 'hyping' the 2006 Phantom Regiment has nothing to do with their 50th anniversary. I made a post about it a while back.....

I really don't think it's because of the 50th Anniversary as to why people are expecting the Phantom Regiment to finish so high.

It's because of the show. Look at the repertoire.
Resurrection Symphony - Symphony No. 2 (Gustav Mahler)
Ave Maria (Franz Biebl)
Scythian Suite (Sergei Prokofiev)

This show has Phantom Regiment written all over it. It reminds me of the glory days of the mid-1990's. Also, they are doing "Ave Maria" as their ballad. I can tell that ballad is going to be a fan favorite this year.

Another factor...no staff turnovers and the addition of several key people to the organization.

I think Phantom is one of the corps bashed the least. An obvious fan favorite.

I agree completely.

Listen to the awards ceremony for 05... When they were announced 3rd, they got the loudest ovation... even louder than The Cadets.

Phantom is rarely bashed... I think where you are coming from is the fact that people think 1989 isn't as good as SCV 89 (The battle over who should have won in 89 is one of the fiercest in DCI history, imo.)

-C

that's definetely not the reason for the hype.

They have an incredible return rate, an amazing staff, and an amazing show. They are the corps with momentum right now, like it or not.

-C

This quote could be a reason for hype:

Well i will now say my predictions:

Phantom Regiment is celebrating it's 50 Aniversary which means the show is bound to be one of the Greatest ever.

Nothing is wrong with it except that it is a fallacy in logic. In '98 (the Cavaliers 50th) they placed fourth. Hence they are not going to take it all. If trumpeter07 is saying that they it is bound to be the greatest Phantom show ever, then it is going to surpass the '96 show for all the honors. Thus leading to the conclusion that they are going to win this year. Just my opinion.

Well i will now say my predictions:

Phantom Regiment is celebrating it's 50 Aniversary which means the show is bound to be one of the Greatest ever.

Nothing is wrong with it except that it is a fallacy in logic. In '98 (the Cavaliers 50th) they placed fourth. Hence they are not going to take it all. If trumpeter07 is saying that they it is bound to be the greatest Phantom show ever, then it is going to surpass the '96 show for all the honors. Thus leading to the conclusion that they are going to win this year. Just my opinion.

Maybe what he's saying is that because it's Phantom's 50th Anniversary it will motivate them more to make it one of their greatest shows ever(notice he said one of the greatest shows ever, not the greatest). But just because the Cavaliers didn't win their 50th Anniversary doesn't mean that Phantom won't. I will agree with you that saying that they will win just because it's their 50th Anniversary is faulty logic.

QUOTE (euro_euph06 @ May 7 2006, 04:45 PM)
This quote could be a reason for hype:

That was just one person's opinion. Talk to people in the drum corps community....they will tell you that the hype with the 2006 Phantom Regiment has to do with their show.

Maybe what he's saying is that because it's Phantom's 50th Anniversary it will motivate them more to make it one of their greatest shows ever(notice he said one of the greatest shows ever, not the greatest). But just because the Cavaliers didn't win their 50th Anniversary doesn't mean that Phantom won't. I will agree with you that saying that they will win just because it's their 50th Anniversary is faulty logic.

Well...if a 50th anniversary didnt motivate the Cavaliers to a championship in their year, what is so special about Phantom's 50th?

That was just one person's opinion. Talk to people in the drum corps community....they will tell you that the hype with the 2006 Phantom Regiment has to do with their show.

I could say the same about the Blue Devils, Cavaliers, Bluecoats, SCV, Crown, etc. Blue Devils playing the music of The Godfather---going back to their roots. I am just trying to comprehend why people are certain that this year (the big five-o) is the year for them to get a second championship. Yes they have a good staff and a good return rate, but so does the Blue Devils, Cavs, Bluecoats, etc. But we can always go back and see their history of placements compared to the Blue Devils and Cadets. BD---11 Championships, only one time out of the top four (5th place in '91) since '74. Cadets---9 Championships, owned the 80s and tied for the highest score in DCI history. Phantom---1 World Championship (tied for it too). Hey---they might win this year...but I am willing to bet that it wont be them this year (Because BD will p0wn everyone B)).

QUOTE (euro_euph06 @ May 7 2006, 11:44 PM)
I am just trying to comprehend why people are certain that this year (the big five-o) is the year for them to get a second championship.

I haven't gotten that impression from a lot of drum corps people but that's just me.

When I said hype earlier, I did not mean championship hype. I meant the typical hype and show interest that the upper-echelon corps get every year.

Do I think 2006 will be a championship year for the Phantom Regiment? No.

Do I think the Phantom Regiment will have another successful year and place in the top four? Absolutely.

No doubt Phantom will rank high, but winning...that remains to be seen.

As for early predictions of a first place run, it's too early to decide. When the season plys out in the summer, then predictions mean something.

if, by remaining to be seen, you mean in history... then your statement is flawed. They won in 1996.

And, if by remaining to be seen, you mean this year... then of course. It's May.

-C