Area I 6A 2023

aer06

1 hour ago, 11BandMan11 said:

The top half of Area finals seem pretty locked up with the usual groups. The 6 - 10 spots could literally be any one of 10 - 12 different groups who have either been in area finals before or groups who have been on the outside looking in. 

Paetow has been progressing a ridiculous amount this year! They took the percussion caption at Katy Marching this year and have been cleaner musically and visual than the past. 

Cy Ranch has continued to improve throughout the season and has put up some great runs of their show at contest.

JV always seems to show up at Area contest and thrown down and bump people out of finals. 

Langham has been throwing down the last three weeks of the season and improved their show musically and visually a ton.

Each group from 6 - 15 can be described like any of the above, literally anyone could be in those Area finalist spots. 

1 - 5 will be cool to see who advances to State, fingers crossed for an Area I state finalist this year, but I'm almost more interested in what's going to happen with 6 - 10 with how many groups have improved this year! 

I think any one of these groups could take the 10th spot! 

Katy and cinco were solid at their football games yesterday. Still noticed some of the same things from this past weekend but a lot has improved! 
jordan sounded big, nice good wall of sound and very pure. Drill has cleaned up a ton too, timing was tight. 
JET felt static but still a great showing. Looking fwd to Saturday 

12 minutes ago, Sideswiperr said:

With this being said, I’m going to drop my predictions, and hope for the best as usual only to have them slumped.
1. Cy-Fair

2. Bridgeland 

3. Cy-Woods 

4. Seven lakes 

5. Jordan 

6. Tompkins 

7. JET

8. Katy 

9. JV 

10. Cy-Ranch

This seems like the most solid order in my opinion as well! 
could see Katy higher and 7L lower though.. 

29 minutes ago, Displayed name said:

Cyfair and Seven lakes sounded fantastic, I think they are much closer than people say they are.

Cy-fair still takes first.

Seven lakes has a harder show and they still have a lot of room to grow, but I’m sure they will be in a great place for state/San Antonio

I felt like 7L was struggling with their music book the last few times I heard them. Has that improved? Vertical alignment and timing were their main issues and it seemed like the drum majors and the drum line were constantly fighting for tempo/downbeats. It’s a tough show musically. Bold considering how little content is weighted at area. 

14 minutes ago, nightlife said:

I felt like 7L was struggling with their music book the last few times I heard them. Has that improved? Vertical alignment and timing were their main issues and it seemed like the drum majors and the drum line were constantly fighting for tempo/downbeats. It’s a tough show musically. Bold considering how little content is weighted at area.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see where they place, music has improved since Conroe but that’s the only other time I’ve seen them. 

1 hour ago, Displayed name said:

Cyfair and Seven lakes sounded fantastic, I think they are much closer than people say they are.

Cy-fair still takes first.

Seven lakes has a harder show and they still have a lot of room to grow, but I’m sure they will be in a great place for state/San Antonio

Not sure I agree with the comment on 7L has a harder show, but glad they are playing better and it's coming around for them.

16 minutes ago, Bill_Hou said:

Not sure I agree with the comment on 7L has a harder show, but glad they are playing better and it's coming around for them.

It may sound harder as of right now because of the difference in musical clarity. 

17 minutes ago, TigerJ948 said:

I can say that Katy had their best run of the season, and I've seen all of them. 

Good for them!

Would love to see a tie for 5th to allow for 6 bands to state! 

10 minutes ago, nightlife said:

It may sound harder as of right now because of the difference in musical clarity. 

Good for them!

Would love to see a tie for 5th to allow for 6 bands to state! 

Unfortunately that was not what happened when there was a tie for 5th last year…

10 minutes ago, ChristopherRoden said:

Oh I’ll have to double check then! 

I thought, based on the Area B thread, that the prop had passed but I cannot find anything in the UIL constitution so who knows  

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.uiltexas.org/files/music/UIL_MB_RAC_Spring_2023_Minutes.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjLy6Ll1IeCAxUglmoFHctmDhkQFnoECCAQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1Wu_ShGZ03YszJ7Ps8Bgzy

Was a no action item.