Trombones

mindfulmusician

Man, my section is gonna be kinda weak this year. Sure, we have 3 returning all-staters, but the section keeps getting smaller and smaller, made even smaller by the fact that I'm a drum major. We had 35 trombones my freshman year, and now we're down to like 18 or 19 ;_;

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't particularly like this year's music. The lack of technical difficulty is kind of a turnoff for me. Combine that with the fact that I'm having to spend lots of time on a college audition tape instead of practicing my region music, and I get the feeling I probably won't be making State again this year... =[

I actually met the guy who selected the music on Monday while UT was exbitioning at our district festival of bands. and he said that he picked it out to see who can play musically so i can see why technically its really easy.

Yeah, my lesson teacher (who was one of Brickens' students prior to getting his doctorate) says he understands why Brickens picked those pieces, but at the same time that they make for pretty crappy region music, and the judges probably won't be able to differentiate based on musicality, which completely defeats the purpose of the etudes...

• 4 weeks later...
even though technically its easy youll be suprised how many will miss a few rhythms here and there and see how people add eight notes and sixteenth notes here and there where they dont belong

Yeah, while that's true when it comes to making region, that probably won't happen much on the area level, so it's still going to be really difficult to make state this year as compared to last year where my friend and I were able to breeze through area D... it'll be interesting this year, to say the least

this year at the REGIONALS i lost my mouthpiece at the very beginning of the show.... We went to Ready position (the position between check and playing, since ive seen it called diffrent things in diffrent bands) and i guess i went to ready way to hard and my jaw nearly hit the floor as i peered upon a mouthpieceless trombone... like 4 seconds later i see this shiney white thing fly about 4 feet in front of me and plop onto the ground.

I have never been so tempted to pick something up off the ground in my life... thank god i dident.

• 2 weeks later...
Do all trombones have the same region music throughout the state or is it just within your region?

Trombones have the same music throughout the state (That includes differencing in Classes such as 4A and 5A) BUT Bass Trombones and Tenor Trombones have different music.

If thats not clear (Because i worded it weird) i can explain it. :D

• 2 weeks later...