reagans 2005 music

Personally, being a drummer obsessed with competing, I'm more interested and jealous of Marcus High School (Their percussion director was a 3 time P.A.S. Collegiate Snare Champion, Adjunct Professor at University of Arlington, and apparently has a vast number of connections to very good percussionists... in other words, it's very, very hard to possibly compete with that. Dallas drumlines are scary :unsure: and make we poor Austin area lines look like crap).

QUOTE (bacara @ Nov 26 2005, 10:19 PM)
i was curious about what parts of reagans 2005 show was original, there was one melody i thought might be original but then i heard it on the pride and prejiduce trailor, and then then i hear some stuff from springs 1993 show, so what parts were actually original?

The arrangements of this year's Reagan show were so unigue, you could almost call the entire show an original composition. At the very least, a "Fantasy on the themes of..." But if you want to get techincal:

Pre-show - Original Themes of Aarron Guidry, and themes from Profanation, Love Actually, and Symphonic Metamophosis.

Front-Ensemble/Trpt. Feature - Original Music by Aaron Guidry

W.W. Feature - Profanation and Blue Rondo a la Turk

Main Opener - Symphonic Metamorphosis, Profanation

Techo - Symphonic Metamorphosis, Symphony in Bb, Original Music by Aaron Guidry

Front-Ensemble Transition - Blue Rondo a La Turk, Symphonic Metamorphosis

Ballad - Jeax d'Enfants (not sure of the composer)

Front-Ensemble Transisition - Original Music by Aaron Guidry

Closer - Original Music by Aaron Guidry, Profanation, Symphonic Metamorphosis, Prime Minister's Love Theme from Love Actually (Craig Armstrong)

...and some other little things thrown in there for good measure!

• 2 weeks later...
Main Opener - Symphonic Metamorphosis, Profanation

They did not play these pieces. They can not say they actually played Symphonic Metamorphosis and Profanation. They played a couple of measures of each piece that was spread over the entire show. No, I am not dogging them for their musical selection. I just think it is wrong for them to say they played the pieces when they didn't.

edited: the quote

They did not play these pieces. They can not say they actually played Symphonic Metamorphosis and Profanation. They played a couple of measures of each piece that was spread over the entire show. No, I am not dogging them for their musical selection. I just think it is wrong for them to say they played the pieces when they didn't.

edited: the quote

You're saying that because we only played pieces of the song, we didn't play it at all? Would you rather us of not given the composer credit of his work? I'm pretty sure that would've been more "wrong".

You're saying that because we only played pieces of the song, we didn't play it at all? Would you rather us of not given the composer credit of his work? I'm pretty sure that would've been more "wrong".

You played excerpts from these pieces. You took the melody out of its context. Its like taking the words "Baby Got Back" out of that respective song and not explaining whe she has a huge butt. And what does not giving the composers their respective credit have to due with this conversation? I respect Paul Hindemith and Leonard Bernstein for their fabulous pieces.

You played excerpts from these pieces. You took the melody out of its context. Its like taking the words "Baby Got Back" out of that respective song and not explaining whe she has a huge butt. And what does not giving the composers their respective credit have to due with this conversation? I respect Paul Hindemith and Leonard Bernstein for their fabulous pieces.

What? Plenty of bands take cuts of songs and put it in their show. We don't have to play the whole peice of music before we announce that it's in our show. "And what does not giving the composers their respective credit have to due with this conversation?" No. What I'm saying is, whether it be 'a couple of measures' as you claim, or the whole peice of music, it was still in our show.... so... we're going to annouce that it's in our show. You're not supposed to just play a melody from a song and then act as if you didn't at all.

I'm done with conversation.

QUOTE (Skippy @ Dec 14 2005, 11:57 PM)
Yeah, you're right.  Creative arranging is something that needs to stop, becaue I really love seeing the same shows over and over again.

Agreed with you and Kinsey.

Which reminds me....

The Glassmen performed a modern arrangement of Dvorak's 'New World Symphony' this past year. And, Westfield HS performed a ROCK and RAP rendition of Hindemith's 'Symphonic Metamorphosis' in 2002.

IMO, it was still 'Symphonic Metamorphosis' and 'New World Symphony' to me be it rock, rap, classical, country, techno and etc....

Euro_euph06 doesn't know what he is talking about, just ignore him. If his statements were correct, everyone is playing excerpts, because I can tell you that no one plays a piece of music straight. Everyone arranges it somewhat, making it different than the original. Take our show from this year. Did we play Feste Roman mvt. 2 straight through? No. We took a piece of it and played that. So if Euro_euph06's statement holds true, no one should ever give the composer credit.

I am withdrawing my previoius statements because no one is understanding my position.

Maybe you're going for more of a "They should've said excerpts from......." as opposed to saying that they played the pieces, thus giving the impression that they played a good portion of the piece, or even the majority of it? I don't think arranging is part of euro_euph's arguement, I think it's more along the lines that Reagan played small excerpts from several (dozen?) pieces of music, and made it seem like they played more than what they did. No disrespect to Reagan, I'm just trying to clarify.

Maybe you're going for more of a "They should've said excerpts from......." as opposed to saying that they played the pieces, thus giving the impression that they played a good portion of the piece, or even the majority of it? I don't think arranging is part of euro_euph's arguement, I think it's more along the lines that Reagan played small excerpts from several (dozen?) pieces of music, and made it seem like they played more than what they did. No disrespect to Reagan, I'm just trying to clarify.

finally....

well if u guys wanna talk about percussion awards

try getting box5 at super regionals and getting 48/50 right behind SFA who had 49/50...so beat that

Please try to refrain from this kind of trash talking on the forums. You're new, so I'll forgive you. - Aaron

Try we don't even do BOA. So nice comparison, idiot.