My Assesment of the NEISD Fall Festival:

McArthur- Didn't really get the show, but it was still entertaining. Repetoire featured the Candyman theme, Prelude to an afternoon with a faun, and other popular pieces that I can't remember right now...the show had an Alice in Wonderland feel to it, as a colorguard girl (also a redhead) was portrayed as the Mad Hatter, at one point imitating the drumline for some reason. Also, soloists were featured in a box that they animated as being trapped inside. The loud parts of the show need to actually be loud though, and the woodwinds could hardly be heard when playing by themselves. Best thing they have going for them is by far the drumline, they are solid.

Claudia Taylor Johnson- In my opinion the best of the night. But thats just me, we'll see how I stacked up compared to BOA Houston results. Visually, a lot looks "end of season form". The music itself has that "larger than life" kind of feel to it (kind of like Lawrence Central 08)...I'm always a sucker for those kind of shows. Drumline was very powerful and made their presence felt. Great guard that is relevant to the show, Awesome Flag effect on the balled's big hit. During the closer, I felt they lost just a little stamina. The show isn't complete, saving something for Houston? (I think only McArthur performed their entire show). I loved every bit of this show (I hope I don't hype it up too much). I've always thought Johnson was overrated, just cuz people said "They're the next BIG thing" before the school even opened. But I'm glad they made me eat my words.

sidenote: The pit has an Awesome warm up, I hope they play it again at BOA SA. (also, I just love it when a pit not only has a drumset, but also uses it appropriately).

Reagan- Having read beforehand a synopsis of the show, I couldn't connect what I read to what I saw...and I'm not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing. Like last year, the drum major starts the show with a prop (this time, taking off a mask). Other members of the band also have a mask (I think they will all have one by Houston). The band is going for more Genral Effect (good for them), it was crowd appealing, but it needs a lot of cleaning. The music is loud and aggresive, good dynamics that can only get better. I can definetly see the tempo of the show increasing by seasons end. Everything about this band is bigger compared to the last two years, and so far they seem to be handling the increase in numbers well. Overall, I don't really know what to say about this show as of right now, Houston will give a better indication I'm sure.

Roosevelt- A cheesy show (with all due respect). The show stereotypes texans as hunters, cowboys, and other western stuff, I really didn't pay all that attention to it, and spend it also trying to fix my camera's video quality. Repetoire randomly featured UT fight song, and A&M fight song, and other stuff that they call "texan like". It was also weird cuz they have a military style march. The show (visually) was mostly lines of marching through each other, which we all know by now, is alot easier than how it looked back in Middle School. Sorry Roosevelt, at least you guys have an awesome football team.

Churchill- Not only did they have their guard, but it was vintage Churchill Guard. Demanding work from them, still a little dirty, but I love how they don't play it safe! Loudest band of the night, good balanced sound. Visually, it looks better in person than it does in that one youtube video, but then again, I could be influenced to think that because the guard was there. Nice soloists during the ballad, and the ballad is something else. Churchill had the shortest show out of everyone, so it's kind of hard to really analyze them. I can definetly get that Coliseum feel to the show though, which can only get better by Grand Nationals.

Ok, so I'm really tired and i'm gonna stop right here...sorry...

My Assesment of the NEISD Fall Festival:

McArthur- Didn't really get the show, but it was still entertaining. Repetoire featured the Candyman theme, Prelude to an afternoon with a faun, and other popular pieces that I can't remember right now...the show had an Alice in Wonderland feel to it, as a colorguard girl (also a redhead) was portrayed as the Mad Hatter, at one point imitating the drumline for some reason. Also, soloists were featured in a box that they animated as being trapped inside. The loud parts of the show need to actually be loud though, and the woodwinds could hardly be heard when playing by themselves. Best thing they have going for them is by far the drumline, they are solid.

The show was called "Control Freak" according to the announcer, and from what I remember hearing there was also some bernard herrmann, metallica, missy elliot, and Stravinskys petrushka, makes for some eerie feelings. The concept seems pretty easy to understand. Guard girl with the hat starts out in the box and is released and then begins to control different aspects of the show, which would make sense with why she puts on a snare during the snare solo and tenors during their feature and is next to them pretending to play. The flute soloist changed shakos, but that didnt really seem too connected yet, same goes with the masks on the back of the whole bands shakos, they were only really featured once, but I'm sure they will produce this more in the coming weeks. As far as show design it was my favorite of the night, its full of potential. And for their sound, they for sure werent the loudest but I think they had the best "sound". Right now there are parts where it just needs to be made more musical. I had intended to write about every band, but I think Ive written enough for now. I heard MacArthur is going to Westlake. I'm interested to see how they do. If they can lock everything in by then I think things could get interesting.

Churchill is going to have a tough year this year in my honest opinion. Their music book is really a shame. There is little shaping, counterpoint, or style to it, it is simply repeated blocked chords and motives at double forte. I wish they had better designers, for the kids sake!!! (And this is coming from an alum as well)

• 2 weeks later...
Churchill is going to have a tough year this year in my honest opinion. Their music book is really a shame. There is little shaping, counterpoint, or style to it, it is simply repeated blocked chords and motives at double forte. I wish they had better designers, for the kids sake!!! (And this is coming from an alum as well)

I don't think Churchill is going to have a tough year at all. I think as an alum you are being pretty harsh on a really great show. It has had great crowd response, and the judges seem to like what they have given also.

I don't think Churchill is going to have a tough year at all. I think as an alum you are being pretty harsh on a really great show. It has had great crowd response, and the judges seem to like what they have given also.

It is an entertaining show and the kids are doing a great job with what they've been given, I just am sad to say the music they picked for this show set them up for a tough season. 300 music dealing with the coliseum??? Greece and Roman Coliseums are hardly the same thing, not to mention the score to the film 300 has been heavily criticized for stealing/copying from Elliot Goldenthal. Pines of Rome would have been a great musical selection, but they dropped this idea from the show.

Maybe you should be less critical of your alma mater. Being a college music student (sorry if my assumption is wrong), doesn't give you justification to insult the band's show. Maybe it isn't what you expected, but it's still a good show, the students are doing well with it, and you should be content.

I am not insulting their show, in fact I've made long drives to show my support in the stands and I always cheer for every band out there. I suppose that once you see all your former band directors go on to become head band directors at other schools you realize what an honor it was to be in the program when I was. I'm wishing WC and all other bands the very best for this weekend's Super Regional contest and Grand Nationals. I am content with the students are doing, I am not impressed with the musical selections and visual design, but it is just my opinion. I in no way was insulting my own Alma mater.

Heck, I'd be happy if The Colony could play HALF as loud as Winston Churchill! :blink:

Seriously, some awesome stuff is happening with those kids. Best of luck to them this weekend!

Maybe you should be less critical of your alma mater. Being a college music student (sorry if my assumption is wrong), doesn't give you justification to insult the band's show. Maybe it isn't what you expected, but it's still a good show, the students are doing well with it, and you should be content.
Edited by mellopwn1

I am not insulting their show, in fact I've made long drives to show my support in the stands and I always cheer for every band out there. I suppose that once you see all your former band directors go on to become head band directors at other schools you realize what an honor it was to be in the program when I was. I'm wishing WC and all other bands the very best for this weekend's Super Regional contest and Grand Nationals. I am content with the students are doing, I am not impressed with the musical selections and visual design, but it is just my opinion. I in no way was insulting my own Alma mater.

That's good that you still cheer for them and show your support in the stand.

Although, by saying that their music book is a shame, critiquing all the fallacies you believe to be present, and saying that they would have a rough season , you kind of were insulting the band...