drum corps

BlinK Day 41

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree WWs shouldn't be in corps...then it wouldn't be a corp duh! But if you really want to march then there is no other option but to learn a brass or percussion instrument or learn to spin a flag, rifle, sabre, etc. You can get the same WW effect with the pit and probably a whole lot cleaner too (with runs or something like that). I'm not trying to diss WWs for those of you who think that's what I'm trying to do. I play the clarinet, but I don't think you'd get the same effect with WWs than you do with a full brass line.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I never said I wanted WW In DCI, but maybe someone could invent some new circut that allows ww's kus they add alot to the sound in my opinion. I think it would be great.

If you have never heard your woodwinds while your brass is playing during a performance or something, raise your right hand.

*raises right hand*

If you have never heard your woodwinds when your brass isn't playing, raise your left hand.

*raises left hand*

so yeah... woodwinds suck, brass own. There's no arguing it, at all. What can you do with a woodwind that you can't do with a brass instrument?

so yeah... woodwinds suck, brass own. There's no arguing it, at all. What can you do with a woodwind that you can't do with a brass instrument?

Just as everyone has said... If you listen to our show, you can even hear the 2 BASSCLARINETS PLAYING.

It doesn't matter if you can't hear them, but if they weren't playing.. You could totally hear the color change. It's funny how music works that way. Never do I want to hear a person dis a woodwind again, especially in a wood wind furom. Sheesh

• 2 weeks later...

Wow...I would never believe that there would be so much trash-talking on THIS site, and I am even more shocked that there is such blatant woodwind hating, ESPECIALLY since this is a woodwind forum. So, just out of curiousity - to those who were saying hateful comments about the woodwinds, is this an irrational animosity? Do you hate woodwinds in general, or do you just hope that they stay out of corps? I mean, it sounds like that when someone says that woodwinds suck, and that brass can do anything they can do. Because I will admit, that despite the fact that I am a brass player, I still admire the color and sounds of woodwind instruments. Its quite a beautiful thing. Personally, I think that DCI is fine the way it is. IF someone happens to add woodwinds, and IF it REALLY adds to the color, then I think my opinion would change. However, that hasn't happened yet, so, for now, I side against the woodwind change. Yet, I will not submit to the unsubstantiated hate against woodwinds that exists on this post. I would think that band students had more respect for their brothers and sisters. Some of you have proved me wrong.

- mm

Personally, I think that DCI is fine the way it is. IF someone happens to add woodwinds, and IF it REALLY adds to the color, then I think my opinion would change. However, that hasn't happened yet, so, for now, I side against the woodwind change. Yet, I will not submit to the unsubstantiated hate against woodwinds that exists on this post. I would think that band students had more respect for their brothers and sisters. Some of you have proved me wrong.

- mm

>.> Thank you. I hate people who are dissing on woodwinds. I never dis brass players..the only thing I ever dis is a flute, that's because.. I don't know. It's funny to see all the girls reactions at our school. I really do like the flute.

>.> Thank you. I hate people who are dissing on woodwinds. I never dis brass players..the only thing I ever dis is a flute, that's because.. I don't know. It's funny to see all the girls reactions at our school. I really do like the flute.

Why would you make fun of a flute? We've got it bad enough just being retarded.

Never defile the sacred Corps Field with a woodwind.

Anyhow, this topic was opening a can of worms. Though woodwinds on a marching band field are slightly stupid, they are nonetheless respectable instruments. However, we percussionists and brass players still usually don't like having to balance with them, and they are usually handed all of the more musical parts, which is also annoying, since it seems like the potential capabilities of brass and percussion are often wasted. But I think that electronics, besides the relatively tolerable use of mics to make the pit a bit louder, have no place on the field.

Glitz... I hate glitz when its not in the form of pure manual skill- in other words, I hate silly little prop-laden shows, a bunch of electronic sounds, etc. However, that does not make the bands that use them bad. Voiceovers are generally stupid, except perhaps the Cadets' use of it this year. The biggest shock of the season really came to me though when I had been fervently expecting the Blue Devils to be awesome (I didn't keep up with the scores until after San Antonio) and instead they put on a show... with... a voiceover. I sat there feeling really, really betrayed. Creativity is good, but it doesn't usually come out good in the form of somebody speaking.

Never defile the sacred Corps Field with a woodwind.

Anyhow, this topic was opening a can of worms. Though woodwinds on a marching band field are slightly stupid, they are nonetheless respectable instruments. However, we percussionists and brass players still usually don't like having to balance with them, and they are usually handed all of the more musical parts, which is also annoying, since it seems like the potential capabilities of brass and percussion are often wasted. But I think that electronics, besides the relatively tolerable use of mics to make the pit a bit louder, have no place on the field.

Glitz... I hate glitz when its not in the form of pure manual skill- in other words, I hate silly little prop-laden shows, a bunch of electronic sounds, etc. However, that does not make the bands that use them bad. Voiceovers are generally stupid, except perhaps the Cadets' use of it this year. The biggest shock of the season really came to me though when I had been fervently expecting the Blue Devils to be awesome (I didn't keep up with the scores until after San Antonio) and instead they put on a show... with... a voiceover. I sat there feeling really, really betrayed. Creativity is good, but it doesn't usually come out good in the form of somebody speaking.

Yea I hate shows like that. A few props are ok in my opinion, but never over-do it.

George Hopkins is the own of YEA and Corps Directors of Crossmen and Cadets.

I heard he wanted to put saxes on the field.

• 1 month later...

Ok a lot of tension going on here so let me see if I can possibly help relieve it. First I agree DCI should stay the same - brass and percussion. The End. HOWEVER, ww's do bring a different color to the band. I'm sorry if the brass and percussion don't like balancing to the woodwinds but if you look at different pieces of music there's a lot of balancing to the brass for the ww's. Granted, yes it's harder for brass to balance to ww's but please realize that ww's are rarely heard in a melodic line with the brass. It's true, the brass do dominate the sound. So why, if you are the dominating sound throughout the band, do you want to take away what little the ww's have in an ensemble after technical passages? You have the dominance, you have DCI. Just a thought. It's all equal no matter what instrument you play in my opinion.

DCI must stay pure! The infidel woodwinds must be barred from using their instruments in Drum Corps!

Okay, I said that just for the sake of saying it, but I think woodwinds just don't belong in a Drum and BUGLE corps. There are a few pipe bands... an even more obscure activity.

As for woodwinds themselves, I think it depends on the player.

Jazz flutes sound awesome. Bamboo flutes sound awesome. Sax solos are freaking awesome. A good double reed is awesome. Clarinets, in particular Jazz (again), is awesome. It really depends on the player and the music being played with regards to my like of woodwinds. I just absolutely hate some woodwind parts and love others.

And yes... I know I posted twice on this thread.

• 6 months later...

U know i agree! STOP bashing woodwinds brass have always thought they were better then us woodwinds! And dont even think about putting woodwinds in DCI! That would change the whole image and purpose of DCI! Im only an 8th grader and have know about DCI for a while now, so u know what im going to do im going to pratice my guard! So I can try to get in to DCI! And like I always say if something doesnt work ur way dont look at it an complain if u want to do that bad, well then change so you can do it! GOSH! ^_^:D