• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the_DRUM_MAJOR, you guys were warned but the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Here we have work details and marching demerits. A work detail is usually something you do after school or during the time before you depart for the game and it usually consist of cleaning and tidying the band, second band hall, practice rooms, and locker rooms. A marching demerit is before school and you have to march back and forth at a certain interval until the band director tells you to stop.

so did they come in and take away traditions will somebody from the band involved describe in detail please

To answer this question, the traditions that we've done in the past were taken away. We have a "freshman initiation", its when we have the freshman stand in front of the band while the seniors ask them, "What's your name? What do you play? Who's your favorite senior? And, what's your favorite dance move?" He took that away, he told me that it wasn't right to do that. I don't see how its wrong. Yeah, it looks like a little thing, but when you have been looking forward to doing that since your freshman year, it's a big deal. I was so mad when he told me that. Then, our 1st game, he kinda of did things in our favor, but then the 2nd game, he was a totally different person! We used to exchange a few seniors and officers with the other band, he said, "No, too many people are going." I told him, "I'll only take 3 plus myself." He just replied with, "NO!" Then we used to do "Roller Coaster", but he didn't like it, since it was a senior thing. Again, when I was a freshman, I looked forward to doing that. Yes, I am the Drum Major, but I still didn't do it, since he doesn't "approve" it. I noticed that, since he took over, the fun that we had in band, was gone. [i'm tearing up here.] I'm very sad that he kicked us out, because of our salute. It was our last game in one of the oldest stadiums in Texas. That night was Senior Night. But, if they [principals and directors] want to DEPRIVE us of a MUSICAL EDUCATION; then go ahead, I hope that they are happy that there's going to be lots students without a FULL musical high school education. And, yet they're wondering why the band is so small. THIS IS WHY!

[sorry for the rant]

Also, we have 3 directors.

Head-Taught at 4 different schools, got degree in 1999

Assistant 1-Graduated college in DECEMBER 2006, first job

Assistant 2-Had several jobs in West Texas, don't know how many jobs, nor when she got her degree.

Our directors have issues as well with letting to many people go over to visit bands. We are so small that if just one or two people from a section leave, it's REALLY obvious in the way we sound.

But I don't see anything wrong with asking those questions to fish. Honestly, There's nothing wrong with them at all, and to be quite honest with you, I'd LOVE to have some sort of tradition like that, even if it isn't something that's REALLY Huge or w/e.

I know what its like to have little traditions like that taken away. Our band director used to allow seniors 3rd quarter off during the senior night game. Last year a few of the seniors didnt come back until the game was over. His punishment to them was to not allow this years seniors to have the quarter off. All we wanted to do was go eat nachos and get fat off of concession stand food. Some protested his choice by sitting and not playing the stand tunes after half time until the end of the game. Im glad our director thinks clear and didnt kick us out of band. Gah! I hate psycho directors.

Edited by dtxtrmpt

I know what its like to have little traditions like that taken away. Our band director used to allow seniors 3rd quarter off during the senior night game. Last year a few of the seniors didnt come back until the game was over. His punishment to them was to not allow this years seniors to have the quarter off. All we wanted to do was go eat nachos and get fat off of concession stand food. Some protested his choice by sitting and not playing the stand tunes after half time until the end of the game. Im glad our director thinks clear and didnt kick us out of band. Gah! I hate psycho directors.

Why should you pay for what others did!? It's sad that you have been deprived of that because others decided to make a bad choice...

Man, reading some of the traditions that the director took away kind of ticks me off. I mean the freshman initiation? There's nothing wrong with that. At all. I'm so glad my band directors amazing. He's dead serious and strict when it comes to rehearsals but he's always up for a laugh and fun too. As long as we know when to be serious and when it's time for fun.