6) 80.35 - Colleyville Heritage H.S., TX

7) 80.25 - Coppell H.S., TX

8) 79.55 - Owasso H.S., OK

9) 78.45 - Clear Brook H.S., TX

10) 77.35 - Berkner H.S., TX

Outstanding Music Performance - Marcus H.S., TX

Outstanding Visual Performance - TIE Marcus H.S., TX AND L.D. Bell H.S., TX

Outstanding General Effect - Marcus H.S., TX

Man, this was an AWESOME contest! Finals was great.

LD Bell's show will be great, no doubt about it... but it definitely feels incomplete and kind of unexciting as of yet. I talked to some of Bell's band parents, and they still have 3 movements to put on the field. I have full confidence the final product will be another amazing LD Bell production!

Marcus was just awesome. They have an amazing sound. It's just so pure. I can't think of any other way to describe it... They were by FAR the best show tonight. Botanika is a great production. The lady bug is a great touch! It's very obvious that their Director is a female because the details in this show are plainly that of a woman's touch, and there isn't a dang thing wrong with that! It's just so good with those details!

Coppell was awesome too! Their sound was beautiful. Now, when I say "their sound was beautiful," I don't mean to imply that other bands tonight had "bad" sound, because EVERYONE sounded good tonight... others just sounded exceptional, and Coppell was one of those (also including Marcus). Their drill was super clean, one of the cleanest of everyone tonight. This show was one of my favorites!

I honestly hated that Hebron didn't make finals... they've got a wonderful show called "Waves," and it's just downright cool. They were kind of messy, but I seriously felt they did better than Owasso and Berkner. Owasso just had some awkward drill that didn't fit with their music in my opinion. Some of their members also had some REALLY messy transitions between sets... Berkner was also a little messy compared to their fellow finalists. I liked their show, but like Haltom, Richland, and Westfield, it just didn't stand out to me much. They had some tuning issues, along with some low/high brass horns sticking out audibly above the ensemble sound.

Anyway, I think Hebron deserved a spot in finals. Their show left an impression on me. I hate that they didn't get to perform again. Their show is going to be really good though!

Overall, everyone did a fine job tonight. This was my first BOA event to see live, and it was a blast! All the parents around us were too friendly, and reminded me why band parents are the real fans... they're in it for ALL of the kids, even the ones that aren't their own! Good job to everyone, I only saw the end of prelims and all of finals, but what I did see was so cool! Thanks!

What I seem to notice most people like a show based on sound and how the show looks... but its not just about having a loud jaw dropping sound and a drill that moves around, up and down and dancing and flip flops.... Its about having a clean drill, on time, and clean sound that is music.. not just loud jaw dropping moments like some have. All bands in finals were great, and some from prelims as well.

And about Hebron, its sad I didnt get to see it again but at the same time I think their scores will lack in music (ind mostly) and GE. I do believe if they focused on the music and drill more than the "flare" then it could possibly be one of the best.

I don't know, something about that Marcus show really "bugs" me........ :rolleyes:

Marcus plays at a different level than the other groups. Such an even pure sound, not overblowing yet effectively loud. And whose college drumline did they recruit to play for them?!? Man were they clean and good. Is this show finished or is there more to come?? Seems like they ended after a ballad and maybe a closer is still due.

I thought Bell did better in finals than at prelims. This show is very good but takes a while to setup and grab the audience. Love their uniforms, classic look. And the award for easiest drill goes to their tubas, who get to sit for the first half of the show. They had to love that during band camp, "You mean I just sit here for the first two songs?.....cool!!".

Colleyville has a very BOA friendly show, built around a great concept. It would be hillarious if The Cadets would adopt this show next year as a response to all of the criticism about their talking. For those who haven't seen it Colleyville's theme is "Talking...", and they yell "Stop Talking!!" about half-way through the show, then perform a silent drill for about 16 counts. Their drumline was one of the better lines at the show. 8 snares and a pit larger than some of the 1A bands...

Richland has a great sound as well and a cool show theme. Surprised at placing third in prelims as they had a rough show greatly affected by strong winds blowing their props over. But its another well thought out theme that plays well to the judges.

Coppell had probably one of the top three sounds tonight and one of the best music selections (Gershwin). Its the only show that I left the stadium with the music still in my head, even as I type this. Their marching is very clean and a good drill. They need to add more GE and pickup the tempo a bit and they may do better in San Antonio. Very strong pit section. Funny at retreat how the band extended all the way back to the visitor stands. Wasn't room for all of them on the field I guess.

Berkner's show was very exciting, still needs to be cleaned up a bit but was a very engaging show. Strong hornline.

I was also somewhat surprised Hebron didn't make finals. I thought they had a good show. The dance thing at the end however really didn't seem to fit the show. Crowd loved it but it was almost like they were saying "remember how we did this last year....." and just stuck it in for effect.

From prelims I also enjoyed Newman-Smith, who has a great spanish style show with dancers in long-red dresses. They need more volume to make the show stronger and better drill to compete at this level.

I also enjoyed Princeton's exhibition show, a very well done show for a small band. The rock stars were rocking.

UTA was smoking. Great show and strong horns from a fairly small group.

Last comment on the great crowd. Its absolutely amazing how that many people (8,000 maybe??), can sit so quitely during the shows. You can hear every nuance of the band's performances. So unlike trying to watch a show on Friday night with all of the chatter in the stands. Before Bell played their first note you could hear a pin drop.

Can't wait for San Antonio....

I really enjoyed Richland's music. Was that the Halo theme at the beginning? I heard that after they performed and couldn't quite remember. Does anyone know of where I can see a video of it? Thanks

PM me. I have a video from Birdville when they did exhibition. I really like it, as well. It's probably my favorite Richland show to date.

I was also somewhat surprised Hebron didn't make finals. I thought they had a good show. The dance thing at the end however really didn't seem to fit the show. Crowd loved it but it was almost like they were saying "remember how we did this last year....." and just stuck it in for effect.

Hebron 06 actually fit kinda well.. it was awesome at the end to see the whole band turn 4 times and do some jumping jack thing and then stand up and ...done

didn't fit very well this year.