Opinions on Cadets show '06

zackee

I want to start out with this first. The Cadets have been and are a great corps, especially with their shows in the 80's, such as Appalacian Spring. So don't get me wrong, I have no beef against them. They have great stuff, but their '06 show didn't make me too happy. it's cool if you have the corps sing for a little bit, but I just don't think it's right to amplify a singer and have the music of the show revolve around her vocals.

I am not going to lie, their hornline and drumwork was pristine. They sounded great. They didn't really get to show off their stuff, though. everything was based around the singer. I can understand if you want to be the cutting edge corps and do new things, but you don't have to go to this extreme to be great. Your opinions would be appreciated.

Well, the only parts that musically "revolved" around the singer were the 30 second intro and the ballad.

It was easily my favorite ballad of the night. Not only because of how gorgeous the music was, but because of the colorguard, that's who the ballad was really about. That was one of the most beautiful colorguard moments I've ever witnessed, I'm getting chills just thinking about it. I really do thing the singing added a lot.

Honestly, I thought the 30-second intro they had for a good 3/4 of the season was better, I liked the vocals more. The one that was like "and a little bit of history repeating," it was cool stuff I thought.

Other things I loved about the Cadets 2006 show:

The night they added in the "mirror girl" at the end of the show. That gave me chills because of how perfect of an ending it was for the show. Plus it was just darn cool.

I also loved the drum break chaos section. When they added in hornline members diving off those pink platforms, I almost crapped my pants. Absolutely amazing, I would never have the guts to attempt something like that.

Cadets 2006 was one of my favorite shows this year, it was incredible.

I would say their show this year was weak sauce. Not because of the voice amps; I'm with you all, I really liked the singing in the ballad and whatnot. However, in the intro and during the speaking parts they never got the mics to where you could hear the speakers properly, not even at finals. The segment with the horn players all diving off the benches and whatnot was ridiculous, and inane. There was no point to it, and it only served to detract from the show a great deal. And that segment reflected the overall feel of the show; empty, meaningless. There was only very limited segments of real full on playing for the corps, and that is just unacceptable. The entire thing was one long string of gimmicks, and their placement reflects that.