TUBAS!!!!

T is for Tuba

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
15 hours ago, Raydurs said:

not sure if yall heard but bell tubas got contras o_o

Welcome to the club LD Bell! Y'all are gonna love it

Does anyone know what Texas schools march contras? I know it's fairly common in the Midwest (a lot of Indiana bands come to mind as well as Blue Springs) but in Texas they're not nearly as common. From what I've seen I've got: Carroll, Coppell, Keller Central, Byron Nelson, The Woodlands, Plfugerville, and now LD Bell

On 7/1/2020 at 9:28 AM, AlsoIntoSpace said:

Does anyone know what Texas schools march contras? I know it's fairly common in the Midwest (a lot of Indiana bands come to mind as well as Blue Springs) but in Texas they're not nearly as common. From what I've seen I've got: Carroll, Coppell, Keller Central, Byron Nelson, The Woodlands, Plfugerville, and now LD Bell

Hidalgo EC, Conroe HS, Smithson Valley HS, and Willis HS have contras.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/1/2020 at 9:28 AM, AlsoIntoSpace said:

Back when I went to Melissa HS in 2016, we used Contras, but that was the only season we used them. In 2017, we were supposed to use them, but there wasn't enough Contras for the whole group, so we switched back to Sousaphones. 

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I take back one of my previous statements where I said the band is not as big as it used to be. The band has 196 members for this fall. up 20 members from last year. from 2019 to 2020, the band saw a decrease of about 34 members. All the awhile, the Tuba section has been getting bigger and bigger.

*Edit* - The band is fielding a much smaller group this year. which might include less tubas. I only know that there is only 120 members in the show, and then 30 in the reserve block. That means they went from 196 to about 150 in a matter of a few weeks.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a tuba student recently who's become quite obsessed with contras and has been bugging his band director about switching to them, so I've been inspired to sort of build a reasonably comprehensive list of Texas schools that are using them.  I've combed the thread and verified all of the schools mentioned here against their 2022 competition shows and found the following schools check out as of the 2022 season:

El Paso Bel Air - ✔️
Burleson - ✔️
Burleson Centennial - ✔️
Byron Nelson - ✔️
Southlake Carroll - ✔️
Conroe - ✔️ 
Coppell - ✔️
Hidalgo - ✔️
Keller Central - ✔️
LD Bell - ✔️
Pflugerville - ✔️
The Woodlands - ✔️
Willis - ✔️

Smithson Valley didn't check out (couldn't find a video of them marching with contras).

I also went and checked every single school that attended the '22 6A State Marching contest.  Only TWHS, LD Bell and Coppell used Contras, all the rest use Sousas.  When I was in HS in the early 2000s I couldn't think of a single school that used them.  Then The Woodlands switched to them in '08 and other schools started following suit, particularly after they won Grand Nats in 2013.  I don't know if we'll ever see a broad switch to them unless one of the big dogs switch and start winning with them.

But until then feel free to add some more schools that haven't been thought of yet.