WHAT IS THE MOST EFFICIENT ATTENDANCE POLICY FOR AFTER SCHOOL REHEARSALS?

What is the most efficient attendance policy for after school rehearsals during the marching season and the concert season as well. My band "enforces" certain policies, but they become overlooked and uncared for, and it becomes irritating when students begin to miss on purpose. Please, I want input from top bands + overall bands that have enforced an efficient rehearsal policy in order to make the marching season much more successful! Thank you so much. 

edit: students also make "unexcused" absences into "excused", and would lie about their reasons. 

Edited by MarshmelloGray
more info

For our kids attendance is mandatory for all after school practices.  Any exceptions had to contact their director directly (head director for brass and winds- percussion for percussion, guard for guard) and work out the absence with them.  
it is strongly discouraged and mostly only happened with emergency situations or when weather caused practice times to be rescheduled.  

• 2 months later...

I would say the best policy is "make band the most insanely fun thing you can do in high school".  My kids were in a "good" band program, considering their resources, but not a "state contending" program.  Always 1's at UIL, top kids going to area and state, but not everyone.  They attended a "small" 6A school with music kids divided between orchestra, band, choir, and guitar.

However, the directors made the band program so much fun that if they weren't at home they were either at class or at the band hall.  The directors also told them that at some point in life you have to be responsible, now was the time to start, so they expected everyone to be there.

We had some kids that split time between band and football/cheer/drill team and other activities.  Our middle linebacker was also a clarinet and he would run right from the field to his spot for halftime, where one of his buddies had his clarinet ready to go.  But they all pretty much lived at the band hall from mid-July through November.  The kids worked hard, but the directors didn't burn them out to the point where the fun stopped.  Attendance was never a problem.