Area I 6A 2023

aer06

This area is a host to many rising bands, and ever since its creation has been a wildly unpredictable and competitive area. Will Katy take a state qualifier spot after missing out over a tie last year? Will Cy-Fair win again or be overthrown by Bridgeland, Woods or 7L? Could Jordan possibly make state a year after becoming a 6A? Could we finally get Area I rep in state finals this year? Who knows!

Just now, commonnerd said:

This area is a host to many rising bands, and ever since its creation has been a wildly unpredictable and competitive the area. Will Katy take a state qualifier spot after missing out over a tie last year? Will Cy-Fair win again or be overthrown by Bridgeland, Woods or 7L? Could Jordan possibly make state a year after becoming a 6A? Could we finally get Area I rep in state finals this year? Who knows!

I’d personally have my top 5 in no order: Cy-Fair,S7,Cy-Woods, Bridgleand and Katy( they got it this year!)

On 2/20/2023 at 3:25 PM, commonnerd said:

This area is a host to many rising bands, and ever since its creation has been a wildly unpredictable and competitive area. Will Katy take a state qualifier spot after missing out over a tie last year? Will Cy-Fair win again or be overthrown by Bridgeland, Woods or 7L? Could Jordan possibly make state a year after becoming a 6A? Could we finally get Area I rep in state finals this year? Who knows!

I could really see someone new getting in, such as Cinco Ranch. This contest is going to be great!!!

14 hours ago, Ranxh1938292 said:

I would love to see some new finals bands maybe break in such as Cy-Ranch possibly, not necessarily state quality, but would be a nice new band to see in finals.

Cy Lakes is inching closer every year. Rarely made area when I was in high school but I believe they placed 14th this season.

8 hours ago, Ranxh1938292 said:

For sure, definitely one of the schools I think COULD possibly surprise and impress.

CFISD imo always has the most surprises among Houston band and it is downright fascinating to me. Jersey Village upsetting for State in 2018, Cy Falls 2016 San Antonio finals appearance, Cy Parks PHENOMENAL open class indoor group, Cy Lakes lowkey rise, etc. 

12 hours ago, Ranxh1938292 said:

As for the top few schools, Such as Seven lakes, Cypress Woods, Bridgeland, and Cy fair, who do you think out of these schools could possibly win the area I marching contest, for 2023-2024, who will be the top ten finalists? Will we see a new finalist band, will there be an upset?

There are several bands that could pull an upset into finals here- 

Cypress Falls: Had their most competitive season since 2017, placing 15th at BOA Katy ahead of schools like Katy, Foster, Bridgeland, Cinco Ranch, and Fulshear. I believe they also took a few surprising names out at area prelims before dropping in finals. 2022 wasn't as successful but they have the staff to get them there. 

Langham Creek: Starting to finally settle in after some down years and staff turnover. Good shows the past 2 years, just not the cleanest group. 

Cy-Park: VERY rapidly rising group that has only been around since 2016. Rough first few seasons but they have an open class indoor group that has beaten groups such as bridgeland, Cy Fair, Clear Brook, etc. If the winds match the level of the percussion we could be talking qualifying for State for this band. 

Cy-Lakes: Quite honestly the most under the radar rising program in Houston. Throughout the 2010s this program would often not even make it past region, and started to quietly make some noise during the pandemic season, with a simple but musically stellar performance. They have gone from a division 2 band to an area qualifier to pulling a massive upset at area I, beating Cy-Ranch, Cy-Park, among a few other names. I don't think area finals is quite in the cards YET but 14th out of 30ish is HUGE for them. This program is slowly becoming something special and it is happening under everyone's radar. 

Cy-Ranch: See Langham Creek, same comments. 

22 hours ago, Ranxh1938292 said:

As for the top few schools, Such as Seven lakes, Cypress Woods, Bridgeland, and Cy fair, who do you think out of these schools could possibly win the area I marching contest, for 2023-2024, who will be the top ten finalists? Will we see a new finalist band, will there be an upset?

For me, it's too early to even try to predict who will win. There are so many improving bands and even among the top few, it usually comes down to who "shows up" the night of.

Interestingly enough, Cy ranch has the director from langham creek Alex Denton, and their color guard director also works for langham doing color guard their aswell. Cy-Ranch definitely has great show designs, great show overall, there jekyll and Hyde show was a nice show, and a huge step up from the previous years show “imagine”. Really they just need to work on being clean, musically and visually, lots of potential, and supposedly they are supposed to be going to three BOA’s this upcoming season, BOA Katy(placed 19th out of 31 this year) which isn’t necessarily the best spot, but for there first ever BOA, that’s not bad, next BOA is BOA Conroe, I do think that Cypress Ranch has a huge opportunity to make finals here, not the top few groups, but they could possibly make finals, BOA San antonio(possibly) BOA San Antonio is a great place for their kids to watch and see the potential they have. And As for AREA I 2022, I was for sure shocked to see Cypress Ranch getting placed below Cy-Lakes as usually, Ranch beats Lakes, Langham, Falls, Ridge, Creek, Parks, springs, But not JV, Cy-Fair, Bridgeland, and Woods. Definitely interested in next season, expecting big things out of CFISD.

44 minutes ago, Ranxh1938292 said:

I’m also curious, I’d like to hear thoughts about Cypress Woods, and Bridgeland Placing in the top 20 this previous season for state, could they be possible state finalists next year? 

It's definitely possible, but with how many bands that would be "guaranteed" as of now (both LISD schools, regan,ctj,woodlands, ect.), they will have to bring some really powerful performances. Possible for sure, but not super likely, but I'd love to see some new finalist. 

For sure, I know for a fact that the brass judge for woods have them in finals so that’s a good sign, but they really are gonna need to put up some stiff competition, I just watched waxahache HS band’s 2022 state run, and holy crap. Not to mention L.D. Bell and Westlake, also was shocked about CTJ’s placement and Reagan’s placement, but it’s gonna be interesting.

• 1 month later...

One thing that really will help Bridgeland is their Percussion section. They were ranked 14th in their Subcaption at UIL 6A State last year and their Indoor Percussion program went OFF this year even winning a WGI Regional. Definitely one of the stronger sections of their program. 

I think if Bridgeland utilizes their Percussion and Guard programs to their max potential, it would make them stand out. 

So excited though - so many good bands in this Area! 

2 hours ago, Cy-FairDad said:

One thing that really will help Bridgeland is their Percussion section. They were ranked 14th in their Subcaption at UIL 6A State last year and their Indoor Percussion program went OFF this year even winning a WGI Regional. Definitely one of the stronger sections of their program. 

I think if Bridgeland utilizes their Percussion and Guard programs to their max potential, it would make them stand out. 

So excited though - so many good bands in this Area! 

I'm hoping that we see a new band or 2 advance from this area! Only bands I feel like will advance from this area from last year is Cy-Fair, Bridgeland, Seven Lakes, and Cypress Woods. So hopefully we see another band join the group!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
27 minutes ago, Ranxh1938292 said:

Does anyone think there are some dark horse bands that could maybe pull and upset this year at area, by dark hose bands I mean the bands that are very close to finals 11-15, that could maybe pull one of our finalists from last year out?

Cy Lakes

A lot of the bands usually at the top of this contest have been good at keeping their videos off YouTube, or maybe there just aren’t any. The next couple of weekends should provide some exciting updates on how these programs are doing. I think the top 4: Cy Fair, Cy Woods, Seven Lakes, and Bridgeland will be flip-flopping all season so we’ll just have to wait and see. I’ve only so far seen videos of Katy, JET, Jordan and an early video of Cy Woods, so would appreciate any links :)