2023 BOA DFW (Oct. 7)

LeanderMomma

The 2023 Dallas/Ft. Worth Regional will be held Oct. 7 at Pennington Field in Bedford, TX.

OFFICIAL PRELIMS SCHEDULE AS OF 10/02/2023:

8:00 - Liberty H.S., TX
8:15 - Trinity H.S., TX
8:30 - Forney H.S., TX
8:45 - Krum H.S., TX
9:00 - Coppell H.S., TX

BREAK

9:45 - Brock H.S., TX
10:00 - Sacshe H.S., TX
10:15 - James Earl Rudder H.S., TX
10:30 - Lone Star H.S., TX
10:45 - Wakeland H.S., TX
11:00 - Marcus H.S., TX
11:15 - Southlake Carroll H.S., TX

BREAK

12:15 - Timber Creek H.S., TX
12:30 - L.D. Bell H.S., TX
12:45 - Burleson Centennial H.S., TX
1:00 - Grapevine H.S., TX
1:15 - Lebanon Trail H.S., TX
1:30 - James Martin H.S., TX

BREAK

2:30 - Keller Central H.S., TX
2:45 - Aledo H.S., TX
3:00 - Jenks H.S., OK
3:15 - Rockwall H.S., TX
3:30 - Waxahachie H.S., TX
3:45 - Flower Mound H.S., TX
4:00 - Hebron H.S., TX
4:15 - EXH. UNT Green Brigade Marching Band

CLASS A:
Brock H.S., TX
Krum H.S., TX

CLASS AA:
Grapevine H.S., TX

CLASS AAA:
Aledo H.S., TX
Burleson Centennial H.S., TX
Forney H.S., TX
James Earl Rudder H.S., TX
Lebanon Trail H.S., TX
Liberty H.S., TX
Lone Star H.S., TX
Wakeland H.S., TX

CLASS AAAA:
Coppell H.S., TX
Flower Mound H.S., TX
Hebron H.S., TX
James Martin H.S., TX
Jenks H.S., OK
Keller Central H.S., TX
L.D. Bell H.S., TX
Marcus H.S., TX
Rockwall H.S., TX
Sachse H.S., TX
Southlake Carroll H.S., TX
Timber Creek H.S., TX
Trinity H.S., TX
Waxahachie H.S., TX

Edited by LeanderMomma
Updated schedule and included classes

Just added KC to this contest. Also wanted to mention that BOA has officially added a brand new contest for this same weekend in Memphis Tennessee. Which is of course, my home town. I wanted to drive down for this DFW contest but I believe I might have to head to Memphis instead!  😍

12 hours ago, LeanderMomma said:

Just added KC to this contest. Also wanted to mention that BOA has officially added a brand new contest for this same weekend in Memphis Tennessee. Which is of course, my home town. I wanted to drive down for this DFW contest but I believe I might have to head to Memphis instead!  😍

Definitely do your hometown contest, especially with it being a brand new event! I always really enjoy going to this one, being my local big event with many great bands to enjoy! I hope the event in Memphis fills out!!

10 hours ago, Vidal28 said:

Definitely do your hometown contest, especially with it being a brand new event! I always really enjoy going to this one, being my local big event with many great bands to enjoy! I hope the event in Memphis fills out!!

Agreed! Everywhere there are BOA competitions, the quality of the area programs is increased. I just wish there was a competition in Northeast Texas, maybe in Tyler or Longview. I know there aren't many corps style programs here, but I think that would change if there were more exposure to them. It's a corps style dead zone there and the students in the military bands are actually told that the corps style bands aren't real marching bands and aren't any good. It's the students who lose when they don't get a chance to experience something more fun and challenging.

6 minutes ago, Hard Core Band Fan said:

Agreed! Everywhere there are BOA competitions, the quality of the area programs is increased. I just wish there was a competition in Northeast Texas, maybe in Tyler or Longview. I know there aren't many corps style programs here, but I think that would change if there were more exposure to them. It's a corps style dead zone there and the students in the military bands are actually told that the corps style bands aren't real marching bands and aren't any good. It's the students who lose when they don't get a chance to experience something more fun and challenging.

That’s crazy to me that the students are told that. Would love to see boa do something like that, but I doubt it will happen unless schools over there start doing corps styles

8 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

That’s crazy to me that the students are told that. Would love to see boa do something like that, but I doubt it will happen unless schools over there start doing corps styles

Well, it's a tradition there and they are protecting that. Change is very slow to happen, especially there. I grew up there as a kid and just recently moved back after 40 years when I retired. My father was a band director there as was two of my sisters and I was a music education major myself. I know this area very well and know the directors and their attitudes towards non-military marching bands. Again, my interests are in the students having the opportunity to experience a more challenging and relevant style of marching. Military style had it's time in marching history and there is a better, modern style for today's students. I've marched both and there really is no comparison.

There was one high school where the students and parents collectively decided they wanted to change to corps style and approached the band directors and district superintendent. They were told this would not be allowed and if they didn't like it, they could all quit the program. In my opinion, it's the band directors and district superintendent that needed to quit and give these students and parents a chance at something more exciting and challenging. 

2 hours ago, Ranxh1938292 said:

Does anyone know if any other big name programs are going, those in the ranks of Vandergrift, Hebron?

Marcus and Flower Mound for sure, I dont know the last time either of them didnt go to this competition. Coppell and Wakeland are possible.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Confirmed Bands as of 7/13/23

Aledo H.S., TX
Aubrey H.S., TX
Brock H.S., TX
Burleson Centennial H.S., TX
Coppell H.S., TX
Flower Mound H.S., TX
Forney H.S., TX
Grapevine H.S., TX
Hebron H.S., TX
Iowa Park H.S., TX
James Earl Rudder H.S., TX
James Martin H.S., TX
Jenks H.S., OK
Keller Central H.S., TX
Krum H.S., TX
L.D. Bell H.S., TX
Lebanon Trail H.S., TX
Liberty H.S., TX
Lone Star H.S., TX
Marcus H.S., TX
Rick Reedy H.S., TX
Rockwall H.S., TX
Sachse H.S., TX
Southlake Carroll H.S., TX
Timber Creek H.S., TX
Trinity H.S., TX
Wakeland H.S., TX
Waxahachie H.S., TX

12 hours ago, pancake said:

i could be wrong, but i think they were joking about hebron

No? I bet they havent even made state or even area, noone has ever really talked about them in these marching band forums at all so they probably opened recently, new directors and all that, I dont see them making finals at any BOA regional for another 10-30 years

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/18/2023 at 10:38 AM, TrenBS said:

No? I bet they havent even made state or even area, noone has ever really talked about them in these marching band forums at all so they probably opened recently, new directors and all that, I dont see them making finals at any BOA regional for another 10-30 years

yeah bro it's this new school that opened near frisco. you know how it is there's like a new school up there like every week. they sound pretty mid imo, no chance of making finals. they'll probably win things when i die.

On 8/8/2023 at 7:53 PM, Raydurs said:

yeah bro it's this new school that opened near frisco. you know how it is there's like a new school up there like every week. they sound pretty mid imo, no chance of making finals. they'll probably win things when i die.

I think you're talking about Walnut Grove High School, since it's a new school that opened this year.