2023 BOA Katy (Oct. 7)

LeanderMomma

The 2023 Katy Regional will be held Oct. 7 at Legacy Stadium in Katy, TX.

OFFICIAL PRELIMS SCHEDULE AS OF 10/06/2023:

7:15 - Spring H.S., TX
7:30 - Shadow Creek H.S., TX
7:45 - Magnolia West H.S., TX
8:00 - Katy H.S., TX
8:15 - Franklin H.S., TX
8:30 - Pearland H.S., TX

BREAK

9:30 - Tomball Memorial H.S., TX
9:45 - Obra D. Tompkins H.S., TX
10:00 - James Bowie H.S., TX
10:15 - Cypress Falls H.S., TX
10:30 - Cypress Woods H.S., TX
10:45 - Cypress Park H.S., TX
11:00 - Paetow H.S., TX
11:15 - The Woodlands H.S., TX
11:30 - Cy-Fair H.S., TX

BREAK

12:30 - Friendswood H.S., TX
12:45 - Morton Ranch H.S., TX
1:00 - Bridgeland H.S., TX
1:15 - Seven Lakes H.S., TX
1:30 - Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX
1:45 - Cypress Ranch H.S., TX
2:00 - Dawson H.S., TX
2:15 - Ronald Reagan H.S., TX

BREAK

2:45 - James E. Taylor H.S., TX
3:00 - Foster H.S., TX
3:15 - Clear Springs H.S., TX
3:30 - Oak Ridge H.S., TX
3:45 - Cinco Ranch H.S., TX
4:00 - Churchill Fulshear H.S., TX
4:15 - Brazoswood H.S., TX
4:30 - U of H Spirit of Houston Band

CLASS A:
Franklin H.S., TX

CLASS AAA:
Friendswood H.S., TX
Magnolia West H.S., TX

CLASS AAAA:
Brazoswood H.S., TX
Bridgeland H.S., TX
Churchill Fulshear H.S., TX
Cinco Ranch H.S., TX
Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX
Clear Springs H.S., TX
Cy-Fair H.S., TX
Cypress Falls H.S., TX
Cypress Park H.S., TX
Cypress Ranch H.S., TX
Cypress Woods H.S., TX
Dawson H.S., TX
Foster H.S., TX* (just over the line, could be AAA or AAAA)
James Bowie H.S., TX
James E. Taylor H.S., TX
Katy H.S., TX
Morton Ranch H.S., TX
Oak Ridge H.S., TX
Obra D. Tompkins H.S., TX
Paetow H.S., TX
Pearland H.S., TX
Ronald Reagan H.S., TX
Seven Lakes H.S., TX
Shadow Creek H.S., TX
Spring H.S., TX
The Woodlands H.S., TX
Tomball Memorial H.S., TX

Edited by LeanderMomma
Updated schedule

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lots of Cy-Fair Schools Coming in, Bridgeland HS seems to be returning for another shot, Cy-Woods and Bridgeland tend to score very close to each other, So I’m curious to see if We will maybe see a lineup of Cy-Fair, Cy-Woods, and Bridgeland, typically Cy-Fair does very well early in the season(4th place at BOA Katy ‘22 beating PEARLAND!!!!) So I think this just gives us a nice perspective of How Cy-Fair tends to peak earlier in the season, whereas Woods and Bridgeland tend to peak later in the season, and could possibly close the Gap by Area this year.

22 hours ago, Ranxh1938292 said:

Lots of Cy-Fair Schools Coming in, Bridgeland HS seems to be returning for another shot, Cy-Woods and Bridgeland tend to score very close to each other, So I’m curious to see if We will maybe see a lineup of Cy-Fair, Cy-Woods, and Bridgeland, typically Cy-Fair does very well early in the season(4th place at BOA Katy ‘22 beating PEARLAND!!!!) So I think this just gives us a nice perspective of How Cy-Fair tends to peak earlier in the season, whereas Woods and Bridgeland tend to peak later in the season, and could possibly close the Gap by Area this year.

Good thoughts, but it's hard to say Cy-fair peaked early last year when they got first at area.  They just happened to put their 2 worst shows for the 2nd half of their season together for BOA San Antonio and State.   They do need to figure out how to amp up the improvement in their show through the year.  Hard to believe they beat Pearland 2x early on and by end of year were a good 8 pts behind them.   Woods had a down year for them early on but really brought it at BOA and State.  I think this year is going to be super competitive and hopefully all the Cypress Fairbanks schools keep improving.  

(VERY long paragraph ahead!!!)For sure, Cy-Woods is definitely a band I could see advancing to the state finals level, BOA, I’m not completely sure about, but definitely a great State Finals Pick, Cypress Fairbanks seems to be getting back on their feet. Another Cy-Fair Band attending BOA is Cypress Ranch, this is going to be their second year at BOA Katy, after going to their first ever BOA in 2022, I really do believe that this Band has so much potential, their show in 2022, took a big step up in terms of quality, and depth of the Show itself compared to their 2021, 2020, and 2019, shows. They’ve definitely improved from ‘21 to ‘22, unfortunately, like Cy-Fair, at the end of their season(cy-ranch at area) they put on their worst performance at area which placed them 15th, below Many Bands they had previously beaten, Cy-Lakes, Langham, Creek, etc. I was pretty convinced that they could’ve possibly advanced to Area Finals, so it was a bit of a shocker. But I did notice one thing, They got so much cleaner in ‘22(jekyll and Hyde), compared to ‘21(imagine), Jekyll and Hyde was a show FAR more complex, and difficult, than imagine, so the fact that they were so much cleaner, on a show that was much more difficult than the previous years show is impressive, I believe this upcoming show is around the same difficulty level, so with them already having some experience around a show of this level, I’m really excited to see how they do this upcoming year. 

• 3 weeks later...

twhs is going to this one? veeerry interesting. snarky first thought: they must be sick of winning a regional LOL. buuut it'll be nice to see em up against some big dogs early season.

guessin' they prob want the extra time to learn their show. they were like two-ish weeks behind last year compared to previous years, reeally freaked me out, well as much as hs marching band can freak me out LOL. they still only had through the drum break by Lone Star and it was really dirty. wasn't until area where i was like, oh okay they're fine they'll prob get 5th at San Antonio lol.

dunno if im gonna wanna go to this one tho. last time the stadium was suuuuuper hot and suuuuper noisy with all the sounds from behind the stands. buuut it does go up really really high which is nice for GE.

suuuuper competitive contest. probably hanging w/ BOA Austin.

2 hours ago, packwick said:

twhs is going to this one? veeerry interesting. snarky first thought: they must be sick of winning a regional LOL. buuut it'll be nice to see em up against some big dogs early season.

guessin' they prob want the extra time to learn their show. they were like two-ish weeks behind last year compared to previous years, reeally freaked me out, well as much as hs marching band can freak me out LOL. they still only had through the drum break by Lone Star and it was really dirty. wasn't until area where i was like, oh okay they're fine they'll prob get 5th at San Antonio lol.

dunno if im gonna wanna go to this one tho. last time the stadium was suuuuuper hot and suuuuper noisy with all the sounds from behind the stands. buuut it does go up really really high which is nice for GE.

suuuuper competitive contest. probably hanging w/ BOA Austin.

I heard they dropped conroe due to homecoming complications, will definitely shake up the top six here

OFFICIAL LINEUP AS OF 07/13/2023

Confirmed (32):
Brazoswood H.S., TX
Bridgeland H.S., TX
Cedar Ridge H.S., TX
Churchill Fulshear H.S., TX
Cinco Ranch H.S., TX
Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX
Clear Springs H.S., TX
Cy-Fair H.S., TX
Cypress Falls H.S., TX
Cypress Park H.S., TX
Cypress Ranch H.S., TX
Cypress Woods H.S., TX
Dawson H.S., TX
Foster H.S., TX
Franklin H.S., TX
Friendswood H.S., TX
Grand Oaks H.S., TX
James Bowie H.S., TX
James E. Taylor H.S., TX
Katy H.S., TX
Magnolia West H.S., TX
Morton Ranch H.S., TX
Oak Ridge H.S., TX
Obra D. Tompkins H.S., TX
Paetow H.S., TX
Pearland H.S., TX
Ronald Reagan H.S., TX
Seven Lakes H.S., TX
Shadow Creek H.S., TX
Spring H.S., TX
The Woodlands H.S., TX
Tomball Memorial H.S., TX

On 7/14/2023 at 1:17 AM, Rubisco said:

Oh, they'll be just fine. It's an early season regional. And honestly, if they're as clean and effective as they were in September of 2021, they'll probably win it.

hmmm... maaaybe. they sounded good in May but... stiff competition. at least ill have the guard to watch if i think the drill writing is meh lol. not sure how much of what i saw will actually be in the show but if they do end that full ensemble flag phrase w/ that pop toss connected immediately to the one-handed double 45, i'll be gagging.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I really would like to see how(I talk about them a lot) cy ranch does, making finals is definitely a long-term goal for them, but last year they placed ahead some area I finalists bands such a cinco ranch, Cypress Falls, and Even Katy HS, so I’d just love to see them move up into the ranks from 19th up into maybe the 15-13th area. There program hasn’t been the steadiest, there best year was definitely 2018, I think that alone shows the potential that they have, but from what I’m seeing last year seems to have been the start of much more steady times, and I think that it was the start of producing much more difficult shows, from what im seeing this year there show is about the same level of difficulty, so I think they’re definitely trying their best to increase cleanliness/difficulty of shows. So hopefully this is the time they have more steady times, improve a decent bit, and really start showing their talent.