2023 BOA San Antonio Super Regional (Nov. 3 & 4)

LeanderMomma

12 hours ago, bancl said:

Now that this is breaking on HornRank... Word is getting out that a certain well-known district will not be attending the BOASA show this year.  If the rumors are true, as many as 6 of last year's finalists will not be attending this year.

The current speculation seems to be Lewisville ISD, which wouldn’t surprise me with State being before this comp, and it would also give Hebron some much needed rest time before going up to Grand Nats.

2 hours ago, LeanderMomma said:

Just updated the attendee list. Not a single Lewisville group listed yet. 

Yeah, it’s probably them not going, which I get, there would be a new winner, but also sad, because how doesn’t want to watch 3 of the best bands in the nation. I hope Hebron, if it is them, with this small break between now and Nats is able to get some good “recovery” before hopefully making history for the program, and maybe boa with a new record 🤞 whoever it ends up being, we will miss, but it will also allow for new finalist, which will be exciting! Would love for TC or KC to make finals! 

10 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

Yeah, it’s probably them not going, which I get, there would be a new winner, but also sad, because how doesn’t want to watch 3 of the best bands in the nation. I hope Hebron, if it is them, with this small break between now and Nats is able to get some good “recovery” before hopefully making history for the program, and maybe boa with a new record 🤞 whoever it ends up being, we will miss, but it will also allow for new finalist, which will be exciting! Would love for TC or KC to make finals! 

I agree with you and also have mixed feelings about it. While the (rumored) absence of the LISD (north) bands here will be hugely felt, it does indeed open the door for potential new finalists at BOA SA which is something I’ve been wanting to see for years. 

12 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

With Keller not being there to continue their finalist streak, hopefully TC and/or KC can continue a KISD streak at least🤞 

2 hours ago, josephbandfan said:

With Keller not being there to continue their finalist streak, hopefully TC and/or KC can continue a KISD streak at least🤞 

🤞 I’d also love to see a complete new district in finals! Maybe one of the Wylie schools 👀 Or maybe one of the Cypress isd schools!

On 12/19/2022 at 9:37 AM, LeanderMomma said:

The 2023 San Antonio Super Regional will be held November 3 & 4 at the Alamodome in San Antonio. 

CONFIRMED BANDS AS OF 4/22/23 (47):
A&M Consolidated H.S., TX
Aledo H.S., TX
Anderson H.S., TX
Bastrop H.S., TX
Birdville H.S., TX
Cedar Park H.S., TX
Cedar Ridge H.S., TX
Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX
Clear Creek H.S., TX
Clear Springs H.S., TX
Creekview H.S., TX
Cy-Fair H.S., TX
Cypress Woods H.S., TX
Dawson H.S., TX
Foster H.S., TX
Friendswood H.S., TX
Grapevine H.S., TX
Jack C. Hays H.S., TX
James Bowie H.S., TX
John B. Alexander H.S., TX
Keller Central H.S., TX
Lake Travis H.S., TX
Leander H.S., TX
Lehman H.S., TX
M.G. Johnson H.S., TX
Magnolia H.S., TX
McNeil H.S., TX
New Braunfels H.S., TX
Pecos H.S., TX
Pflugerville H.S., TX
Ronald Reagan H.S., TX
Round Rock H.S., TX
Rouse H.S., TX
Stephen F. Austin H.S., TX
Summit H.S., TX
Timber Creek H.S., TX
Tom Glenn H.S., TX
United H.S., TX
Vandegrift H.S., TX
Vista Ridge H.S., TX
W. Charles Akins H.S., TX
Wakeland H.S., TX
Waller H.S., TX
Westlake H.S., TX
Westwood H.S., TX
Winston Churchill H.S., TX
Wylie East H.S., TX

Just did another update. Lots of new bands added including Bastrop. Good for them!

I still wonder what will happen with the grand nats groups and their incoming decisions to either attend state, SA, both, or neither. I know that there’s been some apparent decisions made to where some districts have decided not to have their bands attend SA for the sake of focusing on UIL, which is interesting. I wonder for The Woodlands, are they gonna do all 3 this year? SA, State, and Grand Nats?

On 5/4/2023 at 6:06 PM, Tubalord11 said:

WOW! It’s gonna be tough, but The Woodlands is one of the few bands who can pull of all 3 and do incredible at them all! Cant wait to see them live at gn! 

At least this year it'll be many days in between each contest. Couldn't believe that reagan, CTJ, and Marcus did all 3 within 9 days in 2021. 

13 days for all 3 is still tough though. 

• 2 weeks later...

The way I see things as of now:

Finals Locks:
Cedar Park H.S., TX
Cedar Ridge H.S., TX
Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX
Ronald Reagan H.S., TX
Round Rock H.S., TX
The Woodlands H.S., TX
Vandegrift H.S., TX
Vista Ridge H.S., TX

Finals Bubble (two won't make it):
James Bowie H.S., TX
Keller Central H.S., TX
L.D. Bell H.S., TX
Leander H.S., TX
Rouse H.S., TX
Timber Creek H.S., TX
Wakeland H.S., TX
Westlake H.S., TX

Dark Horses:
Bridgeland H.S., TX
Cypress Woods H.S., TX
Lake Travis H.S., TX
M.G. Johnson H.S., TX
Tom Glenn H.S., TX (maybe?)
Westwood H.S., TX
Wylie East H.S., TX

My two to not make it would probably be between Timber Creek, Wakeland or LD Bell, possibly rouse or Leander. For Wakeland and TC, both are getting new directors, TCs is still unknown( unless it’s not) and Wakeland is getting TCs most recent one, and Bell just seems to be struggling to make finals at anything beyond DFW and local comps. Leander and Rouse should be fine, but just basing off last year, especially for Rouse, there’s still a chance they don’t. I’m really hoping KC and TC both make it 

1 hour ago, Tubalord11 said:

My two to not make it would probably be between Timber Creek, Wakeland or LD Bell, possibly rouse or Leander. For Wakeland and TC, both are getting new directors, TCs is still unknown( unless it’s not) and Wakeland is getting TCs most recent one, and Bell just seems to be struggling to make finals at anything beyond DFW and local comps. Leander and Rouse should be fine, but just basing off last year, especially for Rouse, there’s still a chance they don’t. I’m really hoping KC and TC both make it 

Brad McCann, Director of Bands at James Martin, has taken the position at Timber Creek.

1 hour ago, josephbandfan said:

Brad McCann, Director of Bands at James Martin, has taken the position at Timber Creek.

Okay well considering how well they’ve been doing, especially since 2019 on, I think they still have a really strong shot at finals here! Also just saw he’s been with them for now 11 years, so yeah knowing his work with them, they have a huge shot at finals here.

1 hour ago, josephbandfan said:

2 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

Whether they make it or dont, I am very impressed with post covid Rouse. Being routinely competitive at this level with less than 80 winds is VERY impressive. 

1 hour ago, suslordmat said:

idk about lake travis cy woods or LD Bell above SFA tho im ngl

SFA def has the potential to top off its last appearance in 2011 with the way theyre improving all over again

They definitely got a shot, but i wouldn’t say they are at finalist potential right now. They’ve been placing pretty low at state recently, not really anywhere close to the likes of bell or Cy Woods, but probably could compete with LT, but they aren’t the same program they used to be