2023 BOA San Antonio Super Regional (Nov. 3 & 4)

LeanderMomma

2 hours ago, bancl said:

Well, next year will be interesting for sure.  I know of four of last year's BOASA finalists who have privately confirmed that they will not be attending next year due to the timing of the UIL 6A State Marching Contest.  😲

I'm not surprised by this. The timing of the two events this year is really bad. 6A UIL on Monday/Tuesday, then BOA SA on Saturday. For bands that are far away, the kids would either have to miss a full week of school or make 2 separate trips to San Antonio in the same week.

On a related note, UIL for the top 6A bands is actually well-timed for BOA Grand Nats this year, with a full week of recovery between the two. That will be the case for at least the next couple of ODD years as well.  EVEN years are awful for upcoming 6A UIL and Grand Nats, occurring within the same week.

Two points I'd like to make:

1.) If BOA wishes to retain the top 6A performers, which typically compose most of BOA SA finals, they'll want to schedule BOA SA the Saturday BEFORE UIL 6A from now on, so bands can make ONE trip to San Antonio.

2.) Most of the top bands in the state (which are mostly 6A groups), who want to go to both BOA Grand Nats and UIL State, will want to schedule their BOA Grand Nats trips on ODD years, to have a full week of recovery between the two. Of course, this will likely lead to more intense competition at Nats on those years.

18 hours ago, Rubisco said:

I'm not surprised by this. The timing of the two events this year is really bad. 6A UIL on Monday/Tuesday, then BOA SA on Saturday. For bands that are far away, the kids would either have to miss a full week of school or make 2 separate trips to San Antonio in the same week.

On a related note, UIL for the top 6A bands is actually well-timed for BOA Grand Nats this year, with a full week of recovery between the two. That will be the case for at least the next couple of ODD years as well.  EVEN years are awful for upcoming 6A UIL and Grand Nats, occurring within the same week.

Two points I'd like to make:

1.) If BOA wishes to retain the top 6A performers, which typically compose most of BOA SA finals, they'll want to schedule BOA SA the Saturday BEFORE UIL 6A from now on, so bands can make ONE trip to San Antonio.

2.) Most of the top bands in the state (which are mostly 6A groups), who want to go to both BOA Grand Nats and UIL State, will want to schedule their BOA Grand Nats trips on ODD years, to have a full week of recovery between the two. Of course, this will likely lead to more intense competition at Nats on those years.

Area and State for all classifications are still only 10 days apart(to be more accurate it’s 9-11 days with all the contest dates, rounded to 10 haha). The window to slot in BOASA is there for the 6A groups in these odd years, but then there are conflicts still with the 3A/5A bands as they have area contests in that gap weekend in the years 2A/4A/6A will be the first of the two state contests. It’s gonna be messy many more ways than not.

1 hour ago, Vidal28 said:

Area and State for all classifications are still only 10 days apart(to be more accurate it’s 9-11 days with all the contest dates, rounded to 10 haha). The window to slot in BOASA is there for the 6A groups in these odd years, but then there are conflicts still with the 3A/5A bands as they have area contests in that gap weekend in the years 2A/4A/6A will be the first of the two state contests. It’s gonna be messy many more ways than not.

Yes, I understand that. It's more about whether or not BOA wants to retain the familiar faces in finals. Honestly, it might not be a priority for BOA, which as an organization is focused on positively life-changing experiences and whatnot. Depending on your perspective, it could be nice to have BOA SA not be so much of a 6A fest on some years, to make it a little more equitable for the smaller bands.

8 hours ago, Rubisco said:

Yes, I understand that. It's more about whether or not BOA wants to retain the familiar faces in finals. Honestly, it might not be a priority for BOA, which as an organization is focused on positively life-changing experiences and whatnot. Depending on your perspective, it could be nice to have BOA SA not be so much of a 6A fest on some years, to make it a little more equitable for the smaller bands.

In any case, there could still be some of the 6A/5A groups, the “upper echelon” of the activity that will tough it out and go about a gauntlet of the inconvenient BOASA and State dates. The Austin and SA groups in particular will have less difficulty with this, but yeah, even some far away notable groups may take on the challenge. And yes of course, I’m all for a shake up of the make up of the groups making finals haha(love the rhyme I did there) it’s a fantastic contest to go to and will be one regardless of what might be more notable absences in the future. Band trajectories can be changed with a positive result, perhaps bands less inclined for BOA can shine and see what is needed to make this very contested finals contest, even if an unfamiliar but spectacular group are still just on the outside of it, it’ll be interesting to see for sure. Also, we may just see more out-of-state hopefuls attend with more room for the contest at large in leaner-attended years!

Just revised the original post to include the bands confirmed to be attending as of 1/23/22. They are:

Aledo H.S., TX
Birdville H.S., TX
Cedar Park H.S., TX
Cedar Ridge H.S., TX
Clear Creek H.S., TX
Creekview H.S., TX
Cy-Fair H.S., TX
Cypress Woods H.S., TX
Foster H.S., TX
John B. Alexander H.S., TX
Leander H.S., TX
M.G. Johnson H.S., TX
Pecos H.S., TX
Pflugerville H.S., TX
Ronald Reagan H.S., TX
Round Rock H.S., TX
Stephen F. Austin H.S., TX
Timber Creek H.S., TX
Tom Glenn H.S., TX
Vista Ridge H.S., TX
Waller H.S., TX
Westlake H.S., TX
Westwood H.S., TX
Winston Churchill H.S., TX

On 1/22/2023 at 6:29 PM, LeanderMomma said:

Just revised the original post to include the bands confirmed to be attending as of 1/23/22. They are:

Aledo H.S., TX
Birdville H.S., TX
Cedar Park H.S., TX
Cedar Ridge H.S., TX
Clear Creek H.S., TX
Creekview H.S., TX
Cy-Fair H.S., TX
Cypress Woods H.S., TX
Foster H.S., TX
Leander H.S., TX
M.G. Johnson H.S., TX
Pecos H.S., TX
Pflugerville H.S., TX
Ronald Reagan H.S., TX
Round Rock H.S., TX
Timber Creek H.S., TX
Tom Glenn H.S., TX
Vista Ridge H.S., TX
Waller H.S., TX
Westlake H.S., TX
Westwood H.S., TX

Please add CT Johnson - home team that is hosting the event

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2023 at 6:29 PM, LeanderMomma said:

Aledo H.S., TX
Birdville H.S., TX
Cedar Park H.S., TX
Cedar Ridge H.S., TX
Clear Creek H.S., TX
Creekview H.S., TX
Cy-Fair H.S., TX
Cypress Woods H.S., TX
Foster H.S., TX
Leander H.S., TX
M.G. Johnson H.S., TX
Pecos H.S., TX
Pflugerville H.S., TX
Ronald Reagan H.S., TX
Round Rock H.S., TX
Timber Creek H.S., TX
Tom Glenn H.S., TX
Vista Ridge H.S., TX
Waller H.S., TX
Westlake H.S., TX
Westwood H.S., TX

Wakeland is planning to go as well

57 minutes ago, Parkwoodmom said:

They’re soo good!  Expect great things with a new director.  

Oh wait, did their head director leave??? He has definitely been a big motivator for them. Every contest I've seen them at, you seem him getting energetic during their shows. Not super worried but we could see some shift in certain contest for them such as area with this, especially considering how good everyone else in Area B is, but I'm not too worried. Any idea who it is? 

3 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Oh wait, did their head director leave??? He's been with them for a while (I think), and has definitely been a big motivator for them. Not super worried but we could see some shift in certain contest for them such as area with this, especially  considering how good everyone else in Area B is, but I'm not to worried. Any idea who it is? 

I believe their director is opening a new high school….Walnut Grove?  Correct me if I’m wrong……no idea who’s their new director is.  

38 minutes ago, Parkwoodmom said:

I believe their director is opening a new high school….Walnut Grove?  Correct me if I’m wrong……no idea who’s their new director is.  

oh wow okay. Happy for him but it's a big loss for the program. Again, I'm not super worried, but they need to find someone on the same level, because the current one was really, really impactful on the program, but wishing nothing but the best for him, and that they find a excellent replacement. 

23 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

Oh wait, did their head director leave??? He has definitely been a big motivator for them. Every contest I've seen them at, you seem him getting energetic during their shows. Not super worried but we could see some shift in certain contest for them such as area with this, especially considering how good everyone else in Area B is, but I'm not too worried. Any idea who it is? 

Not sure about that one, Wakeland in 21 was already pretty far ahead of the other schools in Area B and I think in 22 they just leapt further ahead. Not to discount the skill of the other schools in Area B, but I just don't see their success going away that quickly. Who knows though, maybe schools like Lone Star and McKinney North end up having an amazing offseason. 

1 hour ago, JohnSmith said:

Not sure about that one, Wakeland in 21 was already pretty far ahead of the other schools in Area B and I think in 22 they just leapt further ahead. Not to discount the skill of the other schools in Area B, but I just don't see their success going away that quickly. Who knows though, maybe schools like Lone Star and McKinney North end up having an amazing offseason. 

Yeah I’d be really surprised as well! They definitely will be looking for a top notch program, but it’s hard to be completely certain until we know who the replace is, but I’d be surprised if they drop any or at all 

Just added Keller Central and got word that Keller HS will NOT be competing in BOA SA. 

This new UIL every year setup is absolutely going to impact who we see at BOA SA in the coming years. On the plus side, this will give more bubble bands a chance to finally make finals, but on the down side we will miss seeing some of our favorites every season going forward. BOA SA used to really be the battle for the very top band in the state. More so than UIL state. It won’t be that way any longer unfortunately. 

10 minutes ago, LeanderMomma said:

Just added Keller Central and got word that Keller HS will NOT be competing in BOA SA. 

This new UIL every year setup is absolutely going to impact who we see at BOA SA in the coming years. On the plus side, this will give more bubble bands a chance to finally make finals, but on the down side we will miss seeing some of our favorites every season going forward. BOA SA used to really be the battle for the very top band in the state. More so than UIL state. It won’t be that way any longer unfortunately. 

No way to know how this will affect the finals in these competitions until this continues to happen for a few years. What it may do is give the groups that don't do well at BOA and do do well at State a better opportunity to make a finals every year. It's a lot of travelling and expense to do this every year and that may be the biggest factor in any changes in attendance. Personally as a fan, I prefer to watch the BOA competitions as they are the full experience of the marching arts. State is a subset of them.