DCI 2023

Dave609

6 minutes ago, Dave609 said:

Here is the topic for the next DCI Season.

First thing to note is that Santa Clara Vanguard has announced they will not be competing in the 2023 season.

I just heard the news. Apparently some major financial issues. One my college friends is a recent age out(2020-2022), and he’s devastated, as well as the staff and members of the core. This does give lead way for other cores to possibly experience a new level of success with SCV being on of the most dominant cores of recent time, but I’m absolutely heartbroken for the members of this core. Thoughts and prayers for everyone who’s been affected by the news. 

Just now, Tubalord11 said:

I just heard the news. Apparently some major financial issues. One my college friends is a recent age out(2020-2022), and he’s devastated, as well as the staff and members of the core. This does give lead way for other cores to possibly experience a new level of success with SCV being on of the most dominant cores of recent time, but I’m absolutely heartbroken for the members of this core. Thoughts and prayers for everyone who’s been affected by the news. 

I'm sad about it to :(. My favorite group in DCI. Can't wait to see what they come back with when they return!

• 4 months later...

Hello all! We are getting closer to the beginning of the season and wanted to go ahead and put an update for all the corps that have announced their shows for this season. Boston I believe is supposed to reveal theirs later today, but anyways, here's the list (copied from HornRank). 

As of 5/2/23

Corps who have announced shows:

The Academy - Sol et Luna
Blue Knights - Unharnessed
Genesis - Symbio.sys
The Cadets - Atlas Rising
The Cavaliers - ...where you'll find me
Music City - Violent Delights: A Rose and Its Thorns
Seattle Cascades - Revival
Spirit of Atlanta - Up, Down, and All Around
Troopers - To Lasso the Sun

Corps who have yet to announce shows:

Bluecoats
Blue Devils
Blue Stars
Boston Crusaders
Carolina Crown
Colts
Crossmen
Jersey Surf
Madison Scouts
Mandarins
Pacific Crest
Phantom Regiment

Boston 2023 production: White Whale 

copied from HornRank: 

Boston Crusaders’ production of White Whale is inspired by Herman Melville’s great American Novel, Moby Dick. It offers a turbulent ocean adventure filled with gritty characters while exploring the realms of philosophy, science, history, and politics with intrigue and insight. This is the story of Captain Ahab’s self-destructive obsession with the white whale, called Moby Dick. The plot of the novel follows Ahab’s manic drive to kill the whale, even as it endangers his crew. The Boston Crusaders’ 2023 show makes a geographical connection the corps’ home in Massachusetts, while also drawing parallels to the White Whale metaphor; chasing the seemingly unattainable, at all costs.

Musical selections include:

Fantasia on a Theme By Thomas Tallis – Ralph Vaughn Williams
Out to Sea – Ryan George, Colin McNutt, Iain Moyer, Mike Zellers
The Whale – Colin McNutt, Iain Moyer, Mike Zellers
Swallowtail Jig – Traditional
The Wellerman – Traditional
Show Me the Way to Go Home – James Campbell, Reginald Connelly
Shipping Up To Boston – Dropkick Murphys
On the Waterfront – Leonard Bernstein

On 5/5/2023 at 12:18 PM, Tubalord11 said:

Hello all! We are getting closer to the beginning of the season and wanted to go ahead and put an update for all the corps that have announced their shows for this season. Boston I believe is supposed to reveal theirs later today, but anyways, here's the list (copied from HornRank). 

As of 5/2/23

Corps who have announced shows:

The Academy - Sol et Luna
Blue Knights - Unharnessed
Genesis - Symbio.sys
The Cadets - Atlas Rising
The Cavaliers - ...where you'll find me
Music City - Violent Delights: A Rose and Its Thorns
Seattle Cascades - Revival
Spirit of Atlanta - Up, Down, and All Around
Troopers - To Lasso the Sun

Corps who have yet to announce shows:

Bluecoats
Blue Devils
Blue Stars
Boston Crusaders
Carolina Crown
Colts
Crossmen
Jersey Surf
Madison Scouts
Mandarins
Pacific Crest
Phantom Regiment

I'm glad that Seattle is back!

i'm really excited to see The Cadets, The Cavaliers, Troopers, and the unknown shows for 2023!

Blue Devils 2023 Show: The Cut Outs 
Featuring: The Rise by Dave Glyde, Caves by Cody Fry, JoJo’s Bizarre adventure, Jotaro’s theme, Resistance by Dave Glyde, Both Sides Now by Joni Mitchell, Of Energy by Tesseract, Incident in Jazz by Bob Graettinger, and Grand Canyon Fanfare by James Newton Howard. 

I must admit, as someone who’s not huge into BD shows, especially recently, I’m pretty excited for this one. Id be surprised if they don’t win again next year, hoping someone else does lol, but I think it will be an enjoyable show at the very least. 

• 3 weeks later...

got a couple of tickets for DCI Houston, will go w/ my mom. didn't get to go to BOA Houston, too much Resident Evil, this'll have to make up for it. can't even remember last time i went to a live DCI contest. 2003? i remember seeing Spin Cycle live. too bad Crusaders won't be there, but looks like all the other major players will. wondering what the parking is like in Tomball, probably crappy.

58 minutes ago, packwick said:

got a couple of tickets for DCI Houston, will go w/ my mom. didn't get to go to BOA Houston, too much Resident Evil, this'll have to make up for it. can't even remember last time i went to a live DCI contest. 2003? i remember seeing Spin Cycle live. too bad Crusaders won't be there, but looks like all the other major players will. wondering what the parking is like in Tomball, probably crappy.

It gets pretty bad, took forever to find a spot last year, my best recommendation is to get there earlier than you think you should

27 minutes ago, solyxx said:

It gets pretty bad, took forever to find a spot last year, my best recommendation is to get there earlier than you think you should

For me it was getting out afterward that was horrible… literally an hour to get out of the parking lot- even after visiting with friends afterward when we thought the traffic would ease up afterwards.  

I’ll be at McKinney which is local to me, but I’ll also be taking my first trip to the dome this year for the Southwestern Championship. Will be staying Friday night in San Antonio…are there any tips or tricks I need to know? Gonna try to get a hotel close enough where we can walk without it being an unreasonable distance, but I’ve never been to the dome before. 

Going to be following my Daughter and the Blue Knights around a bit this year!   Going to Drums Across the Rockies, then down to Canyon TX, then Round Rock and the Alamodome for the Southwestern Championship!   In August going to be at Indy for the 2023 World Championship!  Looking forward to seeing her perform with BK and also watching all the Corps this year!

Advise for going to the Southwestern Championship: Get the tickets as early as you can.  If you leave the parking lot and return you will have to pay again to get back into the Lot.  The parking used to be cash only but I think that has changed, but good to check prior to getting to the dome, or have some cash ($20) just in case.   The upper level seats are way up so while you do get the big picture and the show design you don't get to see much of the detail.   I prefer to sit  around the top of the lower level and close to the 50 but those tickets go fast.

Food in the Alamodome is expensive and not a great selection, however if you get some time to go to the Riverwalk you will find tons of good places to eat and it's in walking distance from the dome.

On 5/18/2023 at 12:14 PM, Tubalord11 said:

Blue Devils 2023 Show: The Cut Outs 
Featuring: The Rise by Dave Glyde, Caves by Cody Fry, JoJo’s Bizarre adventure, Jotaro’s theme, Resistance by Dave Glyde, Both Sides Now by Joni Mitchell, Of Energy by Tesseract, Incident in Jazz by Bob Graettinger, and Grand Canyon Fanfare by James Newton Howard. 

I must admit, as someone who’s not huge into BD shows, especially recently, I’m pretty excited for this one. Id be surprised if they don’t win again next year, hoping someone else does lol, but I think it will be an enjoyable show at the very least. 

I’ve seen them. Insanely good for June

On 6/17/2023 at 12:04 PM, Bandmomlover said:

Just saw them and they are really good sounding! My biggest concern is that the music book is way to easy for bd, snd they may peek musically way to early, and I’m not really feeling the concept. They still have a potential to win, but I personally think crown is definitely better of the 2 at the current moment. Both sound incredible though, can’t wait for the season to start! 

On 6/17/2023 at 12:04 PM, Bandmomlover said:

yep. another hard one to top. yettt agaaain. already sounding and looking better than they did this time last year. ofc their designers can't resist the urge to put in a pretentious foreign voiceover for the billionth time. opening statement w/ the electric guitar also a weeee bit too familiar. giving us Power Rangers again. but the moments are as grand and creative as usual.

Crown chasing BD a little w/ the weird Bjork overlay. if they didn't play w/ such good tone quality, blend, and dynamic range id call Crown the Christina Aguilera of drum corps, lots of flashy technique for the sake of technique, where a strong, musical melody would be more interesting and effective. just don't really remember much about this one besides it was a lot of notes. Wagner ballad also too much of a slow burn for me. maybe it'll grow on me. at least they're not blasting the field w/ goopy fabric.

On 6/11/2023 at 9:26 PM, gregorydf01 said:

Going to be following my Daughter and the Blue Knights around a bit this year!   Going to Drums Across the Rockies, then down to Canyon TX, then Round Rock and the Alamodome for the Southwestern Championship!   In August going to be at Indy for the 2023 World Championship!  Looking forward to seeing her perform with BK and also watching all the Corps this year!

Sounds fun! Wife and I are planning the same thing except will stop after Round Rock, have to get back to work eventually.  We did Canyon and Broken Arrow last year, going this year, and Round Rock is still a 50/50, but we like to volunteer and help out when we can.  What does your daughter do?  Our son is the lead quad/tenor this year for his age out season.

Boston's park perf is on YT. full show it sounds like. heard this last year too and accurately predicted they'd be top 3. this year im even more impressed. some splatty + out of tune brass sounds but super engaging writing, lots of personality and variety, at least a little creative wit, got goosebumps at times too. 1st place music GE right now for sure imo, tho only seen part of the Devs and none of the Coats. def would have both Devs and Boston ahead of Crown right now even w/o seeing Boston's visual lol, maybe that'll be a disaster who knows. good visual clarity last yr at least. they seem like the real deal.

On 6/19/2023 at 2:04 PM, AvonDad said:

Sounds fun! Wife and I are planning the same thing except will stop after Round Rock, have to get back to work eventually.  We did Canyon and Broken Arrow last year, going this year, and Round Rock is still a 50/50, but we like to volunteer and help out when we can.  What does your daughter do?  Our son is the lead quad/tenor this year for his age out season.

Our Daughter is in the Guard, it's her age out year also.  We will be volunteering at the Round Rock show as that is only around 3 miles from our house.  I can send you a note and see if you don't mind meeting some Texans while on the road. can also say hello at Indy!