2023 WGI: The Slay All Day Thread

Rubisco

40 minutes ago, Hard Core Band Fan said:

From my perspective, you're just a pup. People would pay to NOT watch people my age. Heck, I'd pay not to watch people my age perform...

Also, I just noticed that TxBands considers me currently at an “experienced” level and they say I’m 871 points away from reaching the next level. I can’t wait to see what the next level is called!!  🤣 “Geriatric”??

38 minutes ago, LeanderMomma said:

Also, I just noticed that TxBands considers me currently at an “experienced” level and they say I’m 871 points away from reaching the next level. I can’t wait to see what the next level is called!!  🤣 “Geriatric”??

Just wait til you advance to the next level that I'm on. I got 3,122 points til next advancement.

18 hours ago, Rubisco said:

Coppell has the pop concert show to end all pop concert shows. Would I listen to this music in my own free time? No, not at all, but it works so well in a fun, high energy show. I'm sure the kids love hearing all this K-pop stuff. The set design is magnificent, with the backstage purple lights cast onto the floor, plus the almost 90s Spice Girls-style shiny silver costuming, like they've descended from space. And of course the camera guy is just such a clever touch. As for these girls' skills? They slayed!

This show is SO GOOD!!!!!  I think it’s even World Class worthy. I bet we see them move up in a season or two if they stay on this current trajectory. 

14 hours ago, LeanderMomma said:

Did you see the train close down over the guard just as a flag was tossed from outside the train, and someone inside it caught that sucker AFTER the train window came down over them?!  😱😱

OMG that was SO INCREDIBLE! I Saw this comment yesterday and was looking for the moment and wow, that was REALLY IMPRESIVE! Another favorite of mine from today, and another incredible performance!!! 

26 minutes ago, dylan123 said:

these A class scores…. wow

IK Right!!! I mean, I was a little surprised, but both SLC and Friendswood were 100 and 10 percent worthy of those 90s. It also seemed that Coppell(who I thought would place at least top 3 in their class), was really hurt by one judge who had them in 7th.

1 hour ago, Rubisco said:

Well, the good news is that Friendswood, Southlake Carroll, and Clear Brook will shoot right up to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in the national standings. The bad news is that I think pretty much all of the Scholastic Open guards in Texas will drop a bit. Hopefully they can turn it around at Dayton!

What do we think the odds are for reclassification at this point? Those friendswood girls are throwing Open class skills for sure, and still 4 weeks until Dayton. 

No. Group Name Score Division
Scholastic Regional A
1 Prosper HS JV (Prosper, TX) 78.460 I
2 North Garland HS (Garland, TX) 76.770 I
Independent Regional A
1 PC North West Original (Oklahoma City, OK) 77.150 -
    Score Division
Scholastic A
1 Friendswood HS (Friendswood, TX) 91.050 I
2 Southlake Carroll HS (Southlake, TX) 90.210 I
3 Clear Brook HS (Friendswood, TX) 89.320 I
4 Timber Creek HS (Keller, TX) 86.820 I
5 Keller Central HS (Ft. Worth, TX) 85.650 I
6 Grand Oaks HS (Spring, TX) 84.970 I
7 Burleson Centennial HS (Burleson, TX) 84.420 I
8 Wylie HS (Wylie, TX) 83.880 I
9 Mount Pleasant HS (Mount Pleasant, TX) 83.800 I
10 Pebble Hills HS (El Paso, TX) 82.840 I
11 Rock Hill HS (Frisco, TX) 81.410 I
12 Hebron HS (Carrollton, TX) 80.090 I
13 Vista Ridge HS (Cedar Park, TX) 79.630 I
14 Jenks HS Varsity (Jenks, OK) 79.410 I
15 The Colony HS (The Colony, TX) 77.530 I
Independent A
1 Eagle Mountain Independent (Saginaw, TX) 78.870 -
2 Zephyrus Independent Winter Guard (Tulsa, OK) 77.570 -
3 Future Independent Winterguard (Jackson, MS) 72.060 -
    Score Division
Scholastic Open
1 Marcus HS (Flower Mound, TX) 81.800 I
2 James Bowie HS (Austin) (Austin, TX) 79.400 I
3 Little Elm HS (Little Elm, TX) 79.300 I
4 Choctaw HS (Choctaw, OK) 78.900 I
5 Coppell HS (Coppell, TX) 78.300 I
6 McKinney HS (McKinney, TX) 76.600 I
7 McNeil HS (Austin, TX) 74.100 II
8 Southmoore HS (Moore, OK) 73.700 II
9 Cy-Fair HS (Cypress, TX) 72.400 II
Independent Open
1 Glory Independent (El Paso, TX) 82.400 -
2 Undaunted (Klein , TX) 79.000 -
3 Black Gold Open (Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX) 76.600 -
4 Redemption Guard (Houston, TX) 74.000 -
    Score Division
Scholastic World
1 Flower Mound HS (Flower Mound, TX) 77.300 I
Independent World
1 Mirage (Dallas, TX) 87.500 -
2 ORIGINS (Austin, TX) 87.200 -
3 Invictus  (Austin, TX) 82.000 -
4 Third Coast Independent (Houston, TX) 74.400 -

the McC varsity show this yr is prooobably my favorite yet from them from a design view, either this one or the pandemic one. more layering, more motion to connect events, meaning more blending of body w/ equipment as the girls travel. not quiiite as clean and uniform as usual bc of it but much better than just marching into place and doing a big toss. more fluid looking. + more experimenting w/ release and catch points. prettier floor and costuming too. another batch of baby guard whizzes heading to the hs next year.

speaking of i think many if not most of the soloists in the world guard this year are sophomores. the only reason i know that is bc when i do insta searches for the guard i get all these random soloist pages + i have the memory of an elephant and recognize them on the floor even whilst sporting the classic W Churchill guard hair braids. lololol.

On 3/19/2023 at 6:31 PM, stellamo said:

What do we think the odds are for reclassification at this point? Those friendswood girls are throwing Open class skills for sure, and still 4 weeks until Dayton. 

It's possible! I thought all the As at Dallas looked mostly like As, but the Steering Committee might think differently.

2 hours ago, packwick said:

the McC varsity show this yr is prooobably my favorite yet from them from a design view, either this one or the pandemic one.

I'm assuming you have a video? Will you upload it onto the drive?

it's not a video of mine, it's available on YT.

8 hours ago, stellamo said:

Where do we find this drive 👀 

i can send a link later. it's a Google drive w/ band videos going back to 1990. not much guard on it besides the 2 vids i was able to upload in Jan and the stuff in the twhs folder. my mother is a band and guard dvd hoarder but the drive is focused on band. she did give me her duplicates for wgi, which is like 7 DVDs i've never watched lol. let's see here, i have Volume 1 of the 2001 World Class championships, Volume 5 of Fans' 15 Favorites, 2004 Independent World Finals, 2006 Independent World Finals, 2008 Scholastic World Finals, 2009 Independent World Finals, and 2007 Independent World Finals. i feeeeel like all these are on YT already.