2023 WGI: The Slay All Day Thread

Rubisco

12 minutes ago, Hard Core Band Fan said:

Or they could institute a handicap system where the lower-scoring groups are given points to get them closer to the higher-scoring groups.

I think it would be VERY difficult to implement a system like that without a lot of people complaining about how many points get added, etc. It seems messy.

I think it would be easier for the advisory board to simply vote to change how the steering committee does promotions. Instead of the steering committee comparing guards to semifinals-level units in the higher class, maybe compare them to finals-level units. That way a guard only gets promoted if there's a very strong chance they'll make finals in the higher class. Then they'll likely end their season on a high note.

8 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

I think it would be VERY difficult to implement a system like that without a lot of people complaining about how many points get added, etc. It seems messy.

I think it would be easier for the advisory board to simply vote to change how the steering committee does promotions. Instead of the steering committee comparing guards to semifinals-level units in the higher class, maybe compare them to finals-level units. That way a guard only gets promoted if there's a very strong chance they'll make finals in the higher class. Then they'll likely end their season on a high note.

My initial comment about a handicap system was sarcasm. Sorry I didn't mark it as such. My point is when you start to overly make things "fair", many times it has the opposite effect. It's only a level playing field where everyone has the same opportunity to succeed and to fail. Someone will always be better and sometimes much better. There is point disparity in all classes and shifting groups around during the season is likely manipulating the outcome. Again, in my opinion. Just a statement, not an argument.

ehhhhh if we don't care about some groups being way better in certain classes and want everyone to have a pure level playing field to succeed and fail we should just abolish A and Open, right? everybody competes against everybody else. accept your fate that Avon and Carmel will beat you!!!

i think it's suuuuperduuuuper generous of WGI to give guards with less developed skills a showcase in the first place. BOA don't really play that game, unless u count class champions. buuuut it all leads to lots of handwringing about promotions.

honestly been doin this for decades and can tell u the Jordan situation is raaaaare.

13 minutes ago, packwick said:

ehhhhh if we don't care about some groups being way better in certain classes and want everyone to have a pure level playing field to succeed and fail we should just abolish A and Open, right? everybody competes against everybody else. accept your fate that Avon and Carmel will beat you!!!

A bit of an argumentum ad absurdum here. 😄 I can't imagine judging, what, like 180 guards at Dayton? Comparing them all against each other would be a nightmare.

44 minutes ago, Hard Core Band Fan said:

My initial comment about a handicap system was sarcasm. Sorry I didn't mark it as such. My point is when you start to overly make things "fair", many times it has the opposite effect. It's only a level playing field where everyone has the same opportunity to succeed and to fail. Someone will always be better and sometimes much better. There is point disparity in all classes and shifting groups around during the season is likely manipulating the outcome. Again, in my opinion. Just a statement, not an argument.

I honestly couldn't tell it was sarcasm! I guess I've read too many bizarre things on this forum! 😄

I honestly think one of the reasons we're seeing so many promotions this year is because COVID left the upper classes weakened. I'm not telepathic, I don't know what the Steering Committee is thinking exactly, but my hunch is that that's hanging in the back of their minds. They want the top of the activity to look like the top of the activity, so they're beefing everything up, and maybe making some mistakes along the way. Just my feeling. I don't know for sure.

I was curious about how much they pay attention to scores during the process. Dale makes it sound like it's a blind process, in which case it really would be purely about what the Steering Committee thinks.

I'm actually flying into Houston the weekend of the 25th. I'm looking at the TCGC schedule right now. If I can convince my family -- and they know how obsessive I am -- I may be able to go to Clear Creek. That'll be the closer one for me. We can pool our videos!

On 3/11/2023 at 1:06 PM, Rubisco said:

I'm actually flying into Houston the weekend of the 25th. I'm looking at the TCGC schedule right now. If I can convince my family -- and they know how obsessive I am -- I may be able to go to Clear Creek. That'll be the closer one for me. We can pool our videos!

unnecessary. a couple band director "friends" on Discord are attending those contests to support their guards. i'll acquire videos from all 3 tcgc events that day.

12 hours ago, packwick said:

unnecessary. a couple band director "friends" on Discord are attending those contests to support their guards. i'll acquire videos from all 3 tcgc events that day.

Ah, yes. Those ever so reliable "friends" you lecture -- besties that you surely are! 😂 I did like the show design one from a few months ago. It was actually very good. I may copy and paste it later. The phrase "flail about" has entered my parlance. 😄

I'm probably still going to go to the Clear Creek contest. There's something about seeing it live. Also, maybe I'd like videos of my own!

Finally got some free time this afternoon to catch up on some of the worlds groups, and my god, that Tarpon Show is so freaking impressive! I was amazed and entertained ever since second! Avon,Carmel and Woodlands are also incredible, but if worlds was this weekend, I’d for sure have tarpon winning. Of course I’m personally rooting for woodlands, but I mean wow, tarpon is already so clean! It’s just so unbelievable to me how talented some of these guards are! So happy I finally started learning and watching wgi, and I’m so excited for Dayton! 

1 hour ago, Tubalord11 said:

Finally got some free time this afternoon to catch up on some of the worlds groups, and my god, that Tarpon Show is so freaking impressive! I was amazed and entertained ever since second! Avon,Carmel and Woodlands are also incredible, but if worlds was this weekend, I’d for sure have tarpon winning. Of course I’m personally rooting for woodlands, but I mean wow, tarpon is already so clean! It’s just so unbelievable to me how talented some of these guards are! So happy I finally started learning and watching wgi, and I’m so excited for Dayton! 

oh def. my current prediction is Tarpon winning at Dayton by 2 points. im thinkin week 7 = Carmel + Avon peaking around 91 and Tarpon w/ something like 93, w/ all 3 guards overtaking twhs in seeding. they only need to cross a 90.5 for that, tho twhs may also score higher than 90.5 if they had a week 7 score. final score at Dayton, tarpon probably around a 95 but maybe they'll be more generous this year. other 3 i don't know yet. 2nd place 93ish.

tarpon's not doing anything i haven't seen before but it's clean, has good staging clarity, good set design, and is mostly enjoyable besides the annoying thuddingly obvious narration, tho uuuusually their shows are even more try-hard than this design wise, so this is kiiinda a nice change of pace for them, ya know not being blasted w/ a jungle gym of set pieces. the other three will need to make some preeetty significant design adjustments to catch up or at least narrow the gap. pluuuus be a lot cleaner and more uniform. we shall see....

1 hour ago, packwick said:

blasted w/ a jungle gym of set pieces.

Just a jungle gym? Not an entire amusement park? 🙃😅

I'm very excited for this weekend. Our two final Texas WGI regionals -- one in Dallas, which will be streamed, and another in San Antonio. I'm looking forward to seeing some of these DFW guards for the first time.

I'm also eager to catch Blessed Sacrament at the streamed Pennsylvania event. They are currently seeded 1st in Independent World. I wouldn't mind a Blessed Sacrament win at Dayton. They've been around since the beginning and are usually near the top. They've only won once before, I think. 1990? I'd have to look that up. Their shows are always very classy and superbly performed.

2 hours ago, Rubisco said:

Just a jungle gym? Not an entire amusement park? 🙃😅

i guuuess u could say that the '97 marching show was their Westworld. hahahaha.

also....

i👏love👏Holy👏Sack👏

a small handful of IW guards have the "sport" part down, Sack is pretty much the only one that consistently gets the "art" part right. always thought provoking. when the baby directors ask me about staging, im like, here's Sack '96. or here's Sack '18. study it, child! clear, interesting, musical, dynamic, ugh, subliiiime. why dey in their underwear? dunno, dont care, it's sooo expressive. they're baring their souls, hon! Blue Devils '96 can suck it, i don't care about scores!!!

I'm trying to catch up on the Scholastic As at Dallas, but it seems like Flo used the wrong audio channel for round 1. You mostly just hear staff members talking. 😑

Clear Brook was fantastic; however, the white costumes on the white floor were a little hard to read in the stream. Overall it was a very, very clear performance. You got that crisp energy watching it upstairs.