2023 WGI: The Slay All Day Thread

Rubisco

On 2/26/2023 at 11:02 PM, LeanderMomma said:

So many great shows this weekend!  Especially loved PDCMS and AMP!  I have videos of both. 

Such an exciting year for so many groups!  

Right now, Palm Desert Charter Middle School is tied for 6th place overall in Scholastic A Group Standings. The standings are only for groups heading to WGI Worlds. Will be interesting to see how well they can do come April. Possible top 10 finish if they just continue cleaning.

On 2/28/2023 at 12:44 PM, TWHSPercDad said:

Hey @LeanderMomma!  Jordan HS has also just been promoted; from A Class to Open Class (and will be attending WGI Austin)!  

You mentioned in this week’s On A Water Break podcast that you weren’t familiar with Jordan HS. Jordan is the newest HS in Katy ISD. This is their 3rd year in existence and first year with four full classes of students. They made the BOA Shenandoah Finals this past fall!  I’m expecting great things from this program (plus my daughter is their 1st Assistant Director 😉)!

As a longtime proud supporter and Floor Crew member of TWHS Guards, I’m looking forward to seeing you again in Austin on Sunday (I’ll be at the WGI Katy Percussion Regional Saturday to watch my son’s performance with Austin’s Rhythmic Force). 

Is this confirmed? They are still on the Austin schedule in A class. 

23 minutes ago, stellamo said:

Is this confirmed? They are still on the Austin schedule in A class. 

Hello @stellamo! Yes, it is confirmed. WGI will not publish revised schedules until Thursday’s prior to the Regional. If you go to the 2023 Current Entries for WGI Austin (wgi.org), you will notice that the classification changes are noted there (Flower Mound now in SW; Jordan in SO). 
Enjoy the show!

45 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

The final schedule for WGI Austin has been posted. You can find it here: https://wgi.org/individual-events/?single_event=austin_regional_1035

This is probably my favorite event in Texas. You get a good mix of groups from across the state. I'm looking forward to seeing Hebron and Westlake for the first time. Hebron has been underperforming a little bit so far compared to where I'd thought they'd be, but I'm curious if they can turn it around. I'll be missing Coppell, Clear Brook, TWHS JV, and a small handful of the Dallas A guards, like Rock Hill and Southlake Carroll, but besides that you've pretty much got it all at this contest.

Very exciting day! Home for spring break so I’m gonna try and catch as many groups as possible! Best of luck to everyone!!!

44 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

I'm catching up. Watching fragments and full shows here and there. I've gotten through the first block. New Braunfels came out on top over Georgetown, which is a change from WGI Houston. I agree with that. I thought New Braunfels had a very clear, logical program and gave one of the cleanest performances I've seen so far. I believe it was the Georgia O'Keeffe one with Georgia on My Mind for the soundtrack. Georgetown by contrast seemed to have a somewhat rough run, with room to grow for finals. Shadow Creek was clean, but the soundtrack (River Deep, Mountain High) is kind of samey from beginning, middle, to end, which makes the show not feel as dynamic as some of the others. It was fun, though, and high energy.

Hebron's varsity was absolutely lovely. I'm surprised they've been scoring as low as they have, but this is the first time I've seen them. More Than Gold, was it? Something like that. I think the floor was a guitar with a little black table on it. The costumes are kind of a similar, gold-ish color to the floor. I found it very expressive, and one of the better performances so far as well. Mount Pleasant was a standout, too. Very eye-popping floor and confident performers.

Mount Pleasant came out on top of the SA class a couple of weeks ago at the Mansfield regional. Their JV made the finals as well.

Well-deserved first place for Pearland in round 2 (and overall so far). It turns out the floor wasn't even finished yet! Looks very purple and space-y now. Very expressive and dynamic show, with a top-notch performance as well, crystal clear. Overall, I'd say the judges got the rankings in round 2 pretty spot-on.

i'd be hesitant for twhs to add tooooo much of a bright color to their costumes, cause it would f*** up the look of the show, but maybe something kinda whitish, beigish. some orange might look good w/ all the blue. i was telling my mom yesterday that they should borrow the gold flags from the JV guard for the opener to provide more of a surprise pop of color when they come out. aesthetic effect.

32 minutes ago, packwick said:

i'd be hesitant for twhs to add tooooo much of a bright color to their costumes, cause it would f*** up the look of the show, but maybe something kinda whitish, beigish. some orange might look good w/ all the blue. i was telling my mom yesterday that they should borrow the gold flags from the JV guard for the opener to provide more of a surprise pop of color when they come out. aesthetic effect.

I’m not 100% sure they have their show flags yet!  They didn’t last week. But I don’t know if these are the same as last weeks!

10 minutes ago, LeanderMomma said:

I’m not 100% sure they have their show flags yet!  They didn’t last week. But I don’t know if these are the same as last weeks!

yah, the flags were different today, except for i think the slow movement blue ones.

i think Flo's camera darkens a lot of the colors. cywoods' floor looked very different today from the live vid i have of them.

13 hours ago, packwick said:

oh what's this, CyWoods is third with an 80 and not the 68 they got just last weekend? hmmmmmm.... wait a sec, who was right about them again?... oh yeah... that's right... it was ME! hahahaha.

twilight zone, i toldja!

So modest!

I'm catching up again. I thought finals started later than it did.

Speaking of Westlake and James Bowie, Westlake's show this year really reminds me of the show that Bowie did in the Open class just before they moved on to the World class. I think it was disco mixed with like Adagio for Strings or something. It had a similarly interesting fast/slow combination vibe.

Well, you never want to open your show with a drop, but besides that I thought TWHS was stellar in finals. They're definitely one of those guards that probably wishes "difficulty and risk" was a point of consideration in Scholastic World. They've got that in spades.

Moe and Gene Johnson is the real deal, folks. That was waaaay better than I was expecting. I love how they start the show as part of the audience and come down from the bleachers. We the People, indeed. Cool idea!