2023 WGI: The Slay All Day Thread

Rubisco

4 hours ago, packwick said:

+ more PERSONALITY. yass i said it again, u heard me!

anybody else having to log in over and over and over and over? assuming it's bc i'm using a VPN.

And I still don't agree with you! 😄

Yes, I use a VPN as well. I'm resigned to the fact that TXBands thinks I'm a spambot. I suppose I might as well be one at this point!

A video of Tarpon's world guard has been posted! I'm not in love with all the talking in the soundtrack, it feels like a bit of a too-on-the-nose lesson, but the performers are executing at a super high level for February. Clearly the cleanest show right now. I love all the cool cat musicians sprinkled throughout. Gives the show an interesting character. Set seems very stripped down for a Tarpon show.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmU_GK-WHkI&pp=ygUMVGFycG9uIGd1YXJk

2 hours ago, Rubisco said:

A video of Tarpon's world guard has been posted! I'm not in love with all the talking in the soundtrack, it feels like a bit of a too-on-the-nose lesson, but the performers are executing at a super high level for February. Clearly the cleanest show right now. I love all the cool cat musicians sprinkled throughout. Gives the show an interesting character. Set seems very stripped down for a Tarpon show.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmU_GK-WHkI&pp=ygUMVGFycG9uIGd1YXJk

This group is so fun to watch. I really like the music choices, especially What Is Hip.

On 2/18/2023 at 8:40 PM, Bandmomx4 said:

The soundboard person had a phone connected to the laptop that was running the sound track- and got a phone call.  🤦🏻‍♀️

I heard the soundboard guy (Stephanie Chavezs boyfriend!) is a radio host and was messing with volumes all day during shows. Doing stuff the directors never asked for.

7 hours ago, Michelle C. said:

I heard the soundboard guy (Stephanie Chavezs boyfriend!) is a radio host and was messing with volumes all day during shows. Doing stuff the directors never asked for.

the shaaaaade of it all!

have tcgc and ntca ever considered merging? not sure why tx has like 5 guard organizations. i think they should come together and implement an all-state guard process to encourage kids to practice, like everybody learns a couple of the same choreographed sequences + a do what u want sequence and gets ranked by impartial judges. lowest #s make it to region, then area, then state, blah blah blah, same as band but w/o concerts/group performances.

11 hours ago, packwick said:

the shaaaaade of it all!

have tcgc and ntca ever considered merging? not sure why tx has like 5 guard organizations. i think they should come together and implement an all-state guard process to encourage kids to practice, like everybody learns a couple of the same choreographed sequences + a do what u want sequence and gets ranked by impartial judges. lowest #s make it to region, then area, then state, blah blah blah, same as band but w/o concerts/group performances.

Tcgc is run by a tight friend group. I don't think they would want to share by merging. But Texas is a huge state so I understand having multiple circuits.

17 hours ago, packwick said:

have tcgc and ntca ever considered merging? not sure why tx has like 5 guard organizations. i think they should come together and implement an all-state guard process to encourage kids to practice

Hear, hear!  One Texas circuit with multiple competitions held at different schools around the state with the grand finale in College Station!  

So, I just got done watching a live video of PDCMS doing a live video on Instagram of a run on their show for this upcoming WGI Event this Saturday. Couple drops but overall FANTASTIC! I LOVE their ending! Noticed @LeanderMomma was also watching lol. What are your thoughts about that run/show?

3 minutes ago, J-Mike16 said:

So, I just got done watching a live video of PDCMS doing a live video on Instagram of a run on their show for this upcoming WGI Event this Saturday. Couple drops but overall FANTASTIC! I LOVE their ending! Noticed @LeanderMomma was also watching lol. What are your thoughts about that run/show?

I was just about to come here and talk about this too!  I’m so glad Mr. Peña went live on Instagram while I was on there and I got the opportunity to see the Palm Desert Charter MS perform their show. It’s just WOWWWW. I mean that thing is fantastic!  I’ll definitely be watching on FloMarching on Saturday and I can’t wait to see these kids live at WGI Worlds in April!  This show is going to be brilliant by then!

3 hours ago, LeanderMomma said:

I was just about to come here and talk about this too!  I’m so glad Mr. Peña went live on Instagram while I was on there and I got the opportunity to see the Palm Desert Charter MS perform their show. It’s just WOWWWW. I mean that thing is fantastic!  I’ll definitely be watching on FloMarching on Saturday and I can’t wait to see these kids live at WGI Worlds in April!  This show is going to be brilliant by then!

I am so happy as well! I have not seen another run since about 3 weeks ago at their first competition, and so happy that they got their ending put in. I will also be watching on Saturday, and I am so jealous that you will see them live! Does anyone know if its possible for a middle school to get promoted to Open Class (if they place very high at WGI Worlds of course)?

22 hours ago, J-Mike16 said:

I am so happy as well! I have not seen another run since about 3 weeks ago at their first competition, and so happy that they got their ending put in. I will also be watching on Saturday, and I am so jealous that you will see them live! Does anyone know if its possible for a middle school to get promoted to Open Class (if they place very high at WGI Worlds of course)?

I don't see why not!

I stumbled on a video of Coppell from Mansfield. Love this show! It looks like they're recreating a pop concert, complete with an absolutely hilarious "stage crew" camera guy. I think they've got another crowdpleaser on their hands, but this one seems cleaner than last year. Can't wait to see it from higher up!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OhllAiZyG6k

1 hour ago, Rubisco said:

I don't see why not!

I stumbled on a video of Coppell from Mansfield. Love this show! It looks like they're recreating a pop concert, complete with an absolutely hilarious "stage crew" camera guy. I think they've got another crowdpleaser on their hands, but this one seems cleaner than last year. Can't wait to see it from higher up!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OhllAiZyG6k

WOW! I liked that more than I thought I was going to lol.

was at Pearland last night, have several videos which im sure i'll have trouble uploading bc they're larger files again.

happy to see twhs jv come out w/ the highest score in a stacked contest, even w/ WGI Houston champ in the mix, but i thought Cy Woods was totally robbed, shoulda been up there w/ twhs. how obviously cleaner their show was compared to the other shows didn't seem to matter to the upstairs judges at all. always makes me angry, like why even bother performing if it doesn't matter, seriously. maybe bc the show was still incomplete in late Feb or bc the concept is lightweight/abstract? dunno. twilight zone level judging for me, like tooootally wtf. happens sometimes. no active wgi judges but a couple of wgi "retired" giants like Lee Carlson and Jackie Gilley.

twhs world was.... good.... stiiill haven't fixed the transition into the final part but it's only been a week, i wouldn't expect major changes til late season. they had a fuller more satisfying conclusion this week but a little dirty w/ the flags at the end. some uncharacteristic drops in the first part. they're trailing the other top dogs preeeetty badly right now, i think realistically this show will be 4th or even 5th at worlds but i hope im wrong. goes to show u can have a suuuuperduper talented guard from top to bottom, but if u can't design/stage/choreograph a gold medal quality show it doesn't matter. bleeds into every caption. i hope this team figures it out tho, cause we need young blood designers who get it, it's the same ppl on top every single freakin year. don't want them to have to resort to using Vanderkolff, tho he is a god tier guard designer.

@packwick I think you're being too fatalistic. They've literally got over a month and a half to iron out any kinks. Their seeding score at this stage in the game, whatever it ends up being, doesn't matter. Frankly, there are too few guards in SW for it to matter. I'm gonna chalk most of what you said up to what I call PAS: Picky Alumnus Syndrome.

Having seen all the top guards now, I still think this TWHS show is the most imaginative one in the class, even if it has some fixable issues. It's funny you bring up Vanderkolff, because I could actually see him doing a show like this. It has a very intellectual bent.

Now, about those videos 👀👀👀

Also, I caught Palm Desert Charter Middle School. I think it has been weirdly quiet on this forum, seeing as, well, you know. 🤯

10 minutes ago, TWHSPercDad said:

You mentioned in this week’s On A Water Break podcast that you weren’t familiar with Jordan HS. Jordan is the newest HS in Katy ISD. This is their 3rd year in existence and first year with four full classes of students.

Wow!  I know I was very impressed with them in Houston and I was so happy to see them on the schedule for Austin!  What is it with these brand new schools being SO good SO quickly??!!

13 minutes ago, TWHSPercDad said:

As a longtime proud supporter and Floor Crew member of TWHS Guards, I’m looking forward to seeing you again in Austin on Sunday (I’ll be at the WGI Katy Percussion Regional Saturday to watch my son’s performance with Austin’s Rhythmic Force). 

See you there!  And good luck to your son!