2023 WGI: The Slay All Day Thread

Rubisco

1 hour ago, packwick said:

im still not even sure what happened. just a random ring tone and then the entire performance was out of time and the girls were desperately counting. at first i was like this is terrible music design. hahahaha. was Woodlands playing their music via phone or was it a WGI staff thing or random Bluetooth interference? i heard the sound ppl testing twhs' music like an hour before they performed. seems reaaaaallly dumb to use a phone for performance music.

The soundboard person had a phone connected to the laptop that was running the sound track- and got a phone call.  🤦🏻‍♀️

Friendswood. A Safe Place to Land. I love how they have these 3 circles in a chain on the floor, and the performers are often in such close proximity that they seem to transform into 3 separate stages that they move gracefully across. Wonderful use of motif in the staging. I love how that opening line sort of dissolves as the performer moves through it and then reassembles. If you watched Friendswood last year, you'll notice a lot of the same wonderful expressive qualities to the writing. I don't think this was their best performance, in fact it had the most obvious errors of the guards I've watched (starting at Pearland), but the ceiling for this work is much higher. Their position in the top 2 may already be secure.

Clear Brook. Self-Reflection. You guessed it, lots of baroque silver mirrors on the floor. I love the creepy opening whispering, like the self-doubting voices in your head. This show is so seductive and sensuous, and the performers absolutely communicate the emotion. Such a clean performance as well. Clarity, clarity, clarity. This is an obvious 1st place for me. I can't wait to see how they do in Dayton!

9 minutes ago, Hard Core Band Fan said:

But didn't the guard provide their music on the phone? Seems to have too many layers of complexity and too many points of failure. I bet it is resolved going forward. 

I'm thinking it was an mp3 on the laptop based on what we've been told, no? And the sound of the operator's phone came through because it was plugged in because he was charging it or whatever. I've never received a call when my phone has been plugged into a computer, I'm not sure how that works. I'm pretty sure the soundtracks are uploaded well in advance of the contest.

20 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

I'm thinking it was an mp3 on the laptop based on what we've been told, no? And the sound of the operator's phone came through because it was plugged in because he was charging it or whatever. I've never received a call when my phone has been plugged into a computer, I'm not sure how that works. I'm pretty sure the soundtracks are uploaded well in advance of the contest.

Could be. And the phone call hijacked the sound on the laptop? Either way, I hope it doesn't happen again for the performer's sake. Although, I have seen a phone used in a pinch when the mp3 had an issue.

I find TWHS so fascinating this year. It really is something different. I'm disappointed they still don't seem to be done with it, but I enjoyed what I saw. My two main complaints would be 1.) how DARK everything is, from the floor to the costuming; I wish the costumes brought more a light colored pop. 2.) the transition out of the slow movement and into that final chill, trick toss-filled movement isn't very seamless, they don't seem to connect very well. I absolutely LOVE the slow section. That section is pure poetry, but the section after kind of throws me for a loop, and obviously wasn't as clean or interesting from upstairs.

3 hours ago, packwick said:

im still not even sure what happened. just a random ring tone and then the entire performance was out of time and the girls were desperately counting. at first i was like this is terrible music design. hahahaha. was Woodlands playing their music via phone or was it a WGI staff thing or random Bluetooth interference? i heard the sound ppl testing twhs' music like an hour before they performed. seems reaaaaallly dumb to use a phone for performance music.

Was definitely not the fault of the guard!  

14 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

So the Woodlands actually dropped their overall score? I thought they had a much better finals run, but I guess not. 

It went up actually, but just barely. Their upstairs scores are concerning, and they'll likely need to rework some of the design of the show. Padilla, who judged at Avon, scored Avon, Carmel, and Miamisburg higher LAST week than he scored TWHS tonight. I disagree with that, but I can acknowledge that this TWHS show isn't for every taste; I'd say it leans more toward fans of the outre. On the flip side, TWHS' individual scores were great; in prelims those scores were stellar, trending ahead of Carmel.

How about Jordan winning in A?! WOW! I did not see that coming. Way to go, Jordan! It seems like they pulled it off on the strength of their individual analysis scores. Every upstairs judge had Clear Brook 1st across the board.

2 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

It went up actually, but just barely. Their upstairs scores are concerning, and they'll likely need to rework some of the design of the show. Padilla, who judged at Avon, scored Avon, Carmel, and Miamisburg higher LAST week than he scored TWHS tonight. I disagree with that, but I can acknowledge that this TWHS show isn't for every taste; I'd say it leans more toward fans of the outre. On the flip side, TWHS' individual scores were great; in prelims those scores were stellar, trending ahead of Carmel.

How about Jordan winning in A?! WOW! I did not see that coming. Way to go, Jordan! It seems like they pulled it off on the strength of their individual analysis scores. Every upstairs judge had Clear Brook 1st across the board.

Oh yeah, I’m blind lol 😂 thought they had a 79 in prelims! And very happy for Jordan indeed! Loved their show. Hopefully TW clean up enough before Austin where we can come the Judges starting to give them more credit where it seems it due. It was dirty, but it wasn’t super dirty.

When you're going through the recaps and see that Friendswood was dead last in equipment in finals 👀

Now that's a ballsy placement, especially considering the reverse placement performance order with Friendswood performing 2nd to last. I'm not sure I'd have them thaaaat low, but I also wouldn't have had them anywhere near 2nd place.

I was going to remark on Coppell's incredible jump from 4th to nearly winning in Open class at Mansfield, but it turns out they had a two-point penalty in prelims, so...

15 hours ago, LeanderMomma said:

Was definitely not the fault of the guard!  

yah, figured as much considering they were testing the music way in advance, it's not like they just keep a bunch of directors' phones at the sound table.

14 hours ago, Rubisco said:

Their upstairs scores are concerning, and they'll likely need to rework some of the design of the show.

pacing at the end is def off. GE judges gonna hit you for that. let the slow section settle and gradually develop into the trick toss section. right now it feels like slamming into a wall. also do costume add-ons to bring performers out of the floor. + more PERSONALITY. yass i said it again, u heard me! i still have no idea what they're supposed to be. suuuper talented but the show needs to be there.

anybody else having to log in over and over and over and over? assuming it's bc i'm using a VPN.