2023 WGI: The Slay All Day Thread

Rubisco

12 hours ago, Bandmomx4 said:

Lol!   I told my husband that I didn’t miss the screaming from the back stands!!!   

definitely still a work in progress for TWHS guards….  But a great first glimpse!  Can’t wait till the costumes come in.  :)

Someday you'll miss those screaming girls! Wish I could watch my now grown adult daughter compete just one more time.

1 hour ago, LeanderMomma said:

Yes they are always absolutely amazing. World Class amazing. Here’s a video…the screaming of the crowd is awful but the show is phenomenal. 

Good thing I rewatched it one last time. They took the video down. 

It seems they upped their game BIG time this year, as I saw so many impressive tosses from start to finish. I am very happy that they are returning to Dayton in April. We could be seeing a possible top 10 finish in Scholastic A. Has a Middle School ever been promoted to Open Class before? And is that even possible?

1 hour ago, J-Mike16 said:

Good thing I rewatched it one last time. They took the video down. 

It seems they upped their game BIG time this year, as I saw so many impressive tosses from start to finish. I am very happy that they are returning to Dayton in April. We could be seeing a possible top 10 finish in Scholastic A. Has a Middle School ever been promoted to Open Class before? And is that even possible?

If you follow my Instagram there’s a Reel I made of this video. 

2 hours ago, Rubisco said:

There's actually an even better video still on YouTube. Just search for "PDCMS varsity."

They look great! I could see them pushing into the top of the A class this year.

So much better. I feel like they are performing a routine that I could see an Open Class Guard doing. 

On 1/30/2023 at 4:43 PM, Rubisco said:

There's actually an even better video still on YouTube. Just search for "PDCMS varsity."

They look great! I could see them pushing into the top of the A class this year.

Thanks for this info. These students are amazing. When I see people performing at such an unexpected level like this it just reinforces my belief that most of our limitations are in our minds. 

On 1/31/2023 at 10:50 PM, Rubisco said:

I completely disagree that this show is missing personality. It has boatloads of personality; it's just a different, quirkier one compared to last year's show.

well la-dee-da. hahahaha. ppl don't even need to watch the videos now.

videos have been available for a while on the google drive for those w/ access. Pearland WAS available but vanished, actually never fully seemed to upload but could access it on my desktop for some reason. suuuuper glitchy uploads, they keep freezing and preventing me from canceling, maybe bc they're larger 4k videos. driving me nuts.

A few more SW show updates.

Tarpon's show is called The Origin of Cool. They have a saxophone ensemble and drummer providing live music. It looks to be jazz inspired, like their marching show this last fall, and their gold medal winning New York show from 2016, which also provided live jazz music.

Avon is doing Jane Bond. The graphic is stylized like James Bond. Spy shows are definitely "in" this school year. This is going to be so much fun and filled with so much character, and of course brilliantly executed. I'm really looking forward to seeing this.

Stoneman Douglas is doing Virus in Numbers. It looks like some show about computer viruses or something. They came out on top of West Broward and Flanagan at SFWGA last weekend, so it could be strong. Hopefully all those Florida groups are a little stronger this year compared to last.

Norwin is doing Divided in Perspective. Not much info on this one. It looks like Joey Powell, Bowie's old director, is on the staff in some capacity. Nice to see him still involved.

I just watched Kiski Area's world guard for free over at Flo as part of the virtual preview. Beware the Poisoned Poppy. The soundtrack is an assortment of playful, chirpy winds, with some legato strings as well. It's very reminiscent of their soundtrack from last year, and it makes me wonder if it's by the same group of composers, that New York group associated with the Now Ensemble. It's definitely contemporary classical. Kiski's floor is red and maybe a little earthy with the green stems of towering red poppies emerging from it. This is a very striking set design. The video seems to be from last weekend's TRWEA premiere and features the full show, around 5 and a half minutes, although parts toward the end don't seem fully choreographed yet. Overall, it's a mightily impressive first outing in the world class. Lots of toss-turn-catch variations in the rifles. There's an absolutely amazing group of 6 rifles doing a double turn under their tosses. I do wish there was a little bit more shape and interesting movement in the composition. Sometimes the environment seems to just swallow them up and there's not much to draw the eye upstairs, besides the set and costuming. Some of the looser looking parts will be fixed by a cleaner performance, but some of it does seem to be missed opportunities in the staging. But overall very impressive.