UIL 5A State Marching Contest 2023

Dave609

Next year we see the return of Conference 5A to the State Marching Contest! Will we see a Leander ISD Sweep again, or will a band such as Wakeland or Hendrickson sneak into the top 3?

Official Schedule (Prelims)-

Alamodome - San Antonio, TX - 11/06/2023 - 

Sharyland Pioneer HS: 9:00 AM
Foster HS: 9:15 AM
Aledo HS: 9:30 AM
College Station HS: 9:45 AM
Pieper HS: 10:00 AM
Pine Tree HS: 10:15 AM
Richland HS: 10:30 AM
Roma HS: 10:45 AM
Brownsville Lopez Early College HS: 11:00 AM

BREAK

Rouse HS: 12:00 PM
Sharyland HS: 12:15 PM
Lubbock HS: 12:30 PM
PSJA North Early College HS: 12:45 PM
Cedar Park HS: 1:00 PM
Leander HS: 1:15 PM
Liberty Hill HS: 1:30 PM
McKinney North HS: 1:45 PM
Lake Belton HS: 2:00 PM

BREAK

Lebanon Trail HS: 2:30 PM
A&M Consolidated HS: 2:45 PM
Burleson Centennial HS: 3:00 PM
Robert E. Hendrickson HS: 3:15 PM
J.M. Hanks HS: 3:30 PM
Forney HS: 3:45 PM
Brownsville James Pace Early College HS: 4:00 PM
North Mesquite HS: 4:15 PM
Lone Star HS- 4:30 PM

BREAK

Churchill Fulshear HS: 5:45 PM
Birdville HS: 6:00 PM
Smithson Valley HS: 6:15 PM
Wakeland HS: 6:30 PM
Lubbock-Cooper HS: 6:45 PM
Pflugerville HS: 7:00 PM
Friendswood HS: 7:15 PM
Mesquite Poteet HS: 7:30 PM

Exhibition Band: University of North Texas Green Brigade Marching Band: 7:45 PM

Drum Major Retreat/Announcement of Finalists: 8:00 PM

1 hour ago, DallasFan said:

It’ll probably be an LISD sweep again but after what an incredible year Wakeland has, I hope they can keep it up and contend with Cedar Park for the gold. 

I expect bands like Hendrickson and Aledo to come out strong next year and maybe fight for a medal. Maybe even a Forney and McCallum.

I hope McCallum is able to “recover” from this season. They still did incredible, but I know they didn’t have lots of success with their first go at BOA, but they still win a contest and got 3rd at area.

On 11/14/2022 at 11:09 AM, Tubalord11 said:

I hope McCallum is able to “recover” from this season. They still did incredible, but I know they didn’t have lots of success with their first go at BOA, but they still win a contest and got 3rd at area.

There were some setbacks that came from having a new director and a large number of freshman but overall most of us were happy with how our show turned out

On 11/14/2022 at 9:12 AM, DallasFan said:

It’ll probably be an LISD sweep again but after what an incredible year Wakeland has, I hope they can keep it up and contend with Cedar Park for the gold. 

I expect bands like Hendrickson and Aledo to come out strong next year and maybe fight for a medal. Maybe even a Forney and McCallum.

I feel the LISD medalist monopoly could definitely be broken up next year, Wakeland is a very consistent program so I don’t really see them slipping, other DFW programs could kick into another gear and all be in the conversation, we’ll just have to see!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2022 at 3:41 PM, Coolhornplayer said:

LISD is just build different.

It's part of the culture and directive of the administration. Academics, Athletics, Arts are all given equal weight. With the arts programs you also have a group of boosters who are dedicated to not only the students but also to the community with an eye to how the community views the organization. 

• 1 month later...

From the UIL site:

2023 1A/3A/5A Contests: November 6, 7, 8 (Contest Confirmed, Alamodome)

Session 1: Monday, November 6 : 5A Prelims (morning, afternoon, evening)
Session 2: Tuesday, November 7: 1A Prelims (morning), 5A Finals (afternoon)
Session 3: Tuesday, November 7: 1A Finals (evening)
Session 4: Wednesday, November 8: 3A Prelims (morning and afternoon)
Session 5: Wednesday, November 8: 3A Finals (evening)

Performance schedules will be posted by 3:00 PM on Sunday, October 29.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 11:09 AM, Tubalord11 said:

Idk man, I talked to one of their tubas and he said their upperclassmen/underclassmen ratios are out of proportion, with their 3 dci marchers graduating this year and an unusually large class coming in. So there may be some freshman bottleneck.

Either that or he was lying and it was just an off year this year

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Gray said:

Wanna say that Forney could be in Top 5 now with Highland Park gone, but truthfully it depends on what happens with the show.

Definitely possible! My top 4 right now would be Cedar Park,Rouse,Leander, Wakeland, but i don’t know who that 5th spot is going to be, to many good bands to tell before the season starts 

8 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

Definitely possible! My top 4 right now would be Cedar Park,Rouse,Leander, Wakeland, but i don’t know who that 5th spot is going to be, to many good bands to tell before the season starts 

I doubt this will be much of a factor given the history of the Wakeland program but they will have a new head director next year so we shall see. 

2 hours ago, TrenBS said:

Considering McKinney North being very close to Aledo at BOA Waco and  on their good run at Area last year had them well ahead of Lone Star, I can see them making finals on bottom half.

For sure! They just need to not fall off again and have another strong show. However, beating Lonestsar again won't be easy. Last years 5A area B was also in terrible weather, but again, they just need another really strong show. 

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Tubalord11 said:

I really hope y’all do! I LOVED LOVED Primal, and know y’all will do great this year! 

4 hours ago, tennertrumbow said:

lone star is looking to return to finals, and hopefully not get 2019’d (6th prelims 12th finals)

I'm really curious to see how Area B does with how Argyle has been doing in 5A

• 4 weeks later...