2023 BOA Grand National Championships (Nov. 9-11)

josephbandfan

On 11/8/2022 at 7:51 PM, FaultLineBlues said:

Totally understandable! I'm sorry if my explanation came off as snarky, I didn't mean for it to be that way! It's hard to quite understand how a lot of stuff is early on. 

I believe Round Rock making San Antonio finals this year secured their trip for this year! Do we know when Vandy plans on returning? They kinda tore the place down last time, and a return would probably go equally as well. 

Also, a ten year anniversary of their first and only visit would be a great time for Cedar Ridge to return to the event! 

On 11/13/2022 at 9:22 PM, BandFan59 said:

As of right now I believe we have:

1. The Woodlands
  2. Round Rock
  3. Claudia Taylor Johnson
  4. Hebron
  5. Pearland

I think CTJ is going to be every other year now along with the Woodlands and Round Rock, and Hebron has confirmed internally for a while that they will be back in 2023. Pearland has confirmed a trip, and I think there are a few other bands that are rumored, some of whom would be first-timers.

Round Rock is  going to Orlando Spring of 2023 and London summer of 2024. Don't think they're going to GN. If I recall, It cost close to 300K for a band to go

I realize this will be an unpopular opinion.    But the Texas bands have produced high caliber performances that fit the mission of MFA.   They are not willing to at least consider a different location because to IN bands do not travel mark ch outside of their area.   Except for the one time Avon went down to a Texas it's been crickets.   Tx had bands in Orlando, St Louis, etc.....it's time to address the totality of the travel requirements of other states while the others get to sleep in their own beds.   Many of the bands are flying to Indy.    This major expense is never incurred buy Carmel, Avon. Hempstead, etc.   Why can't the Grand Nats be floated or is it such a cash cow for MFA to keep it in Indiana regardless of the bad karma it creates? 

12 hours ago, BandMark said:

I realize this will be an unpopular opinion.    But the Texas bands have produced high caliber performances that fit the mission of MFA.   They are not willing to at least consider a different location because to IN bands do not travel mark ch outside of their area.   Except for the one time Avon went down to a Texas it's been crickets.   Tx had bands in Orlando, St Louis, etc.....it's time to address the totality of the travel requirements of other states while the others get to sleep in their own beds.   Many of the bands are flying to Indy.    This major expense is never incurred buy Carmel, Avon. Hempstead, etc.   Why can't the Grand Nats be floated or is it such a cash cow for MFA to keep it in Indiana regardless of the bad karma it creates? 

It would be great to have Grand Nationals a little more centrally located so that other bands could afford to attend, but there isn't really a location in the country close to as good as Lucas Oil Stadium when it comes to marching band. They have the massive convention center connected to the stadium with tons of warmup space and indoor fields, plenty of hotels in the proximity of the stadium itself, and lots of practice fields at high schools close to the stadium. In addition, MFA is headquartered in Indianapolis, so I'm sure it makes it easier for them to have Grand Nationals located close to them.

So im gonna go ahead and pencil in Carmel, Avon, Mason, Dobbyns-Bennett, Hebron, The Woodlands, CTJ, Round Rock, Blue Springs, and Wando all as finalists. I’I’m quite curious about Texas schools like Vandegrift, Reagan, Cedar Ridge, etc., basically everyone south of Waco. Also hoping that we’ll see maybe Union from Oklahoma or a big california school. And in the category of extremely unlikely but would be amazing are Tarpon and Broken Arrow.

6 hours ago, slowbrass said:

So im gonna go ahead and pencil in Carmel, Avon, Mason, Dobbyns-Bennett, Hebron, The Woodlands, CTJ, Round Rock, Blue Springs, and Wando all as finalists. I’I’m quite curious about Texas schools like Vandegrift, Reagan, Cedar Ridge, etc., basically everyone south of Waco. Also hoping that we’ll see maybe Union from Oklahoma or a big california school. And in the category of extremely unlikely but would be amazing are Tarpon and Broken Arrow.

Do you know the record for the most # of Texas bands in attendance?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2022 at 1:56 PM, slowbrass said:

Is Broken Arrow confirmed not going?

On 11/16/2022 at 1:56 PM, slowbrass said:

Ahh yes, the one Texas band that has been underestimated the past four years, that is more consistent than some of the bands on here, and has placed ahead of some bands in this list, is left off

On 12/5/2022 at 4:09 PM, Square_rock said:

Is Broken Arrow confirmed not going?

They’ve seemed to be on a skip every third year schedule for a little while now, and 2023 lines up with an off year for them.

11 hours ago, averagebandnerd said:

Ahh yes, the one Texas band that has been underestimated the past four years, that is more consistent than some of the bands on here, and has placed ahead of some bands in this list, is left off

who did I miss that’s likely to attend?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...