A Decade (ish) of Texas Marching Bands

Wow, amazing work! It really puts into perspective how heartbreaking it must have been to be Hebron for years and years and years, always the bridesmaid until Penstriped. For them to succeed at both the UIL and BOA level for the last decade speaks to how well taught they are. Also interesting how they're the first band to win BOA SA without winning GE. 

FloMo was on another level from 2015-2018. Does anyone remember what happened in 2017 that saw them take a dip in results? 

Looking at Vandegrift's 2019 season, good lord that band was astonishing that year. That show was incredible. 

Marcus murdered everyone in 2012 lol 

Reagan are the gods of Visual/GE. 

Very cool to see that Prelims champ only won 6/10 times. What a competitive event. 

So many "What-ifs?" What if FloMo went to Nats in 2016, what if Reagan went in 2019, what if Hebron went in 2021, what if CTJ had gone in 2017. 

We're spoiled here in TX. 

1 hour ago, itsstephenyo said:

We definitely are! 

I think in compiling this there was also just a lot of stuff that I never realized or thought about in general.

For example, Vandegrift and Hebron both have pretty similar difficulties with being the bridesmaid/close to gold in BOA, medaling decently often but never quite getting to the gold, up until Hebron did last year, and it was so cool to see Vandegrift get the gold at UIL state this year. I'm rooting for them to take BOASA next year, but also am hoping for a 3-peat from Hebron since I don't think that's ever been done before at the super-regional.

I hadn't realized how consistent Keller had become at reaching finals. I always underestimate them and that's a shame on me, but their streak of 7 straight years is incredible.

CTJ has been remarkably consistent with their ability to stay in the top half of finals.

I also had sort of forgotten about the bands that were dominant in the early 2010's outside of Marcus. Bowie was one of my favorites when I was in high school and I had completely forgotten that they had medaled twice in 13 and 14. I'm excited to go back and include all of BOASA history into something like this, which will definitely be hard since I need to figure out some logistical things since there are basically two generations of high school bands at this point where many of the bands consistently making finals recently didn't back then and vice versa, but that's an entire decade of music history that I love and miss and want to relive since it's been so long at this point. Not only that, but in talking to some people on Saturday at finals, I realized that it's been long enough that most people just don't even know about how different the marching scene was in the 2000's. One parent was shocked when I told them that Bell was the most miraculous band most people had ever seen for a lot of those years. I'm never really a huge history person in general, but there's a lot of history at BOASA that I really want to relive and bring back to life.

The fact that Marcus scored a 96 at San Antonio pre-score inflation is insane. Had it been a nats year for them, we may have seen a different score record fall last year in Indy. Also kind funny how we had the least competitive year (in terms of point spread) in 2012 and then followed it up with the most competitive year in 2013.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to beat a dead horse a little bit here and point out a few things:

If Hebron did not score their record Music Individual score in 2022, they would still have the record for Music Individual with 19.6 in 2018.

If Reagan did not score their record Ensemble Visual score in 2019, they would still have the record for Ensemble Visual with 19.65 in 2017.

Reagan has scored the record for Visual GE (19.60) for 3 of the last 4 San Antonio competitions (2018, 2019, 2022)

The musical performance of Hebron and the visual performance of Reagan these past few years has been incredible to watch.

On 11/9/2022 at 9:25 AM, itsstephenyo said:

Wow, amazing work! It really puts into perspective how heartbreaking it must have been to be Hebron for years and years and years, always the bridesmaid until Penstriped. For them to succeed at both the UIL and BOA level for the last decade speaks to how well taught they are. Also interesting how they're the first band to win BOA SA without winning GE. 

FloMo was on another level from 2015-2018. Does anyone remember what happened in 2017 that saw them take a dip in results? 

Looking at Vandegrift's 2019 season, good lord that band was astonishing that year. That show was incredible. 

Marcus murdered everyone in 2012 lol 

Reagan are the gods of Visual/GE. 

Very cool to see that Prelims champ only won 6/10 times. What a competitive event. 

So many "What-ifs?" What if FloMo went to Nats in 2016, what if Reagan went in 2019, what if Hebron went in 2021, what if CTJ had gone in 2017. 

Honestly, what would have happened if Vista went to Nats in 2018