2022 6A UIL State

I don't believe that we should try to get UIL to change the provider. The stream has been stable and the sound is good. No complaints there. It is on par with FLOMarching and BOX5. My only quibble is the lack of a high cam. I have a belief that this service is much more financially friendly to UIL so that's a good thing. I also like the option to donate a portion of my subscription to a certain school. Great touch! I believe that we just need to ask them not to treat this event like a football game. In my email to them I pointed out that no high cam coverage is the same as  braodcasting a football game and in the middle of the biggest plays focusing the camera on the left guard while completely missing the flea-flicker long bomb that just went for a touchdown. 

Cy-Woods had a great show today. and the FloMo show seemed to do well. 

As far as the stream is concerned, two main factors need to be considered.

1. How much does the recording equipment cost?

2. How much does the labor running the equipment cost?

Camcorders start at around $100, with "professional level" camcorders going for around $1,500. Soundboards start at around $50, with the top-of-the-line selling for about $1,000. Overall, a professional recording setup consisting of all brand-new components and field microphones could cost tens of thousands of dollars, but you could theoretically have a reasonably good recoding setup for under $1,000.

Let's say, for instance, you have two camera operators, one audio tech, and one visual tech. I'll assume that all four employees get paid $15/hour. Assuming that they're on the clock for 50 hours during the duration of the state contest, the cost of labor to run the competition is $3,000.

I have no idea of the viewership numbers for the state contest, but I'll throw out that 1,000 parties decide to fork out the $5.99/month fee to watch. You'd receive a revenue of around $6,000, for a profit of $2,000. This is of course assuming that the equipment has never been used by the recording company and will never be used again.

The factor that could be a wild card is the cost to actually stream the contest. I'm assuming the costs of transmitting it over the internet are negligible and mainly fall on the consumers, but the cost to build an interface (or, at the very least, the cost to license an existing interface) could be fairly significant. 

My analysis could be completely off, and I'm excluding certain factors (mainly taxes). Still, it would be interesting to know if these streaming services (TXHSFB, Box5, FloMarching) are actually profitable. 

2 hours ago, lost said:

Well where can we find someone with an Ipad and a portable charger?

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ Why haven’t I thought of this before, I hate using my phone and constantly cycling between forums along with it to where my battery’s already dying halfway through the day. Might be a good investment for me, purely for my enjoyment of the shows and for capturing some programs more effectively haha

3 minutes ago, Vidal28 said:

Is the 6A state field we have today as strong as a Grand Nats Semis level event? Asking for data🤔🤔🤔

IMO no, it's not as strong as Grand Nats Semis. The top 14 bands at a Grand Nats Semis (for a like comparison) would band for band be a higher level than 6A UIL state semis. You cannot downplay the power, strength, and consistency of bands like Carmel, Avon, Blue Springs, Broken Arrow, and Tarpon Springs. Would a few of these bands have a shot at beating them? Absolutely! But with all of these bands being consistent Grand Nats attendees they tip the average strength of the top 14 in GN Semis. That's not a bad thing, just realistic.

Is Texas' 6A state contest the best top flight State contest in the country? Yes, I believe it is. But we cannot take that and compare it to the best bands all gathering for one contest. No shame in that. 

Second block thoughts:

Reagan: It could have been the stream, but it felt like there were some weird timing issues between the winds and front ensemble that I haven't heard before. Regardless, it didn't detract from the overall performance; I discover something new in this show on every viewing!

Flower Mound: The drill in the closer is so cool. One thing Flomo is going to do is hide musicians inside a big prop, and they never disappoint!

Keller: The bicycle set is one of the best drill moments of the year for me. The music in the opener is HARD and they are playing it really, really well. They may have my favorite ballad of the year too. Still don't think we've seen Keller at their peak yet this season, but I have a feeling we will tomorrow!

Lake Travis: I love the dynamic contrast of the music in this show. Those kids know how to have you on the edge of your seat listening to some beautiful soft playing, but then they can smack you in the face with some huge sounds. 

Wylie: Those are some BIG sounds! The multiple tonguing from the brass in the closer is sick - they are playing snot out of that music book. A great performance!

Bridgeland: I'm a sucker for any show that uses music from RENT. I loved seeing the energy and excitement from the band on the field, and their directors on the sideline! I know there's tons of proud parents and teachers cheering them on right now.

Frenship: Let's go color guard! Some beautiful flag work in the ballad. The brass sounds great in the closer - I hope the students had as much fun performing this show as I did watching it!

Stephen F. Austin: Super fun show. I hadn't seen this one all the way through yet, and it was thoroughly entertaining! Really enjoyed all of the musical selections.

Three blocks to go; it's going to be so difficult to pick just 14 bands from this lineup. The judges definitely have their work cut out for them!

I’ve noticed that UIL state announcements have changed over the years. Past years it was “the next band in conference 6A is the abc band from xyz, TX. Directors for the band are lmnop. Drum Majors for the band are qrs. Etc etc”

Last year it was similar only they didn’t announce the directors and they said the drum majors names after the show musical selections. 

this year it’s similar to BOA. I’ll admit it’s weird hearing “the UIL is proud to present”🤣