Jump to content

2022 6A UIL State


Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, crunchycookie3 said:

Not even mentioning Cy-Fair this year is a crime. I feel like they might have an even more solid shot at finals than Bell, Keller, Timber Creek, and even TWHS.

I saw Cy Fair at Katy and didn’t think they were all that. Cool concept and good band however. Yeah they did slip my mind but I wouldn’t consider them a lock by any means, unless they show up this weekend and are a completely different band.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, bchorn said:

I honestly don't care about the acoustics. I'm tired of those Indianapolis schools having the luxury every year of participating in grand nationals while sleeping in their own beds and racking up all these finishes in finals. Let's see those schools start paying for trips to DFW and having to compete with the big boys of Texas.

You’ll say that, until you hear the acoustics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Boa.enjoyer said:

That was a month ago…

Exactly, they finished less than 3 pts below 3 juggernauts and did so without a closer at Katy which changes the whole energy of their ending.  I'm excited to see how the show and performance matches up to the best bands in the state and nation.  I think the bands from 12 to 24 can go in any direction given quality of performance and judges preference.  Gonna be an awesome competition for those last 2 or 3 spots.  Houston bands have stepped it up this year but so have so many other bands.  The quality of this years performances across the board is awesome!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So let's do the hypothetical guessing game challenge. 

I know it changes year to year and is random based on judges, but:

What does everyone think the high prelims score will be? I think it will be 92.5

and What is the score that the 14th band will have to hit to make finals?  I think 88 this year given the quality of competition.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, spacewill said:

So let's do the hypothetical guessing game challenge. 

I know it changes year to year and is random based on judges, but:

What does everyone think the high prelims score will be? I think it will be 92.5

and What is the score that the 14th band will have to hit to make finals?  I think 88 this year given the quality of competition.

 

um gonna guess that the high score will be 94.6 and 14th place will be 84.8

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, slowbrass said:

In my experience the alamodome has this effect of making you feel like you’re marching on an island; the structure seems to just absorb everyone else’s sound and you’re left playing a solo basically. I never found the echo bad at all. On the other hand, AT&T has both the island effect as well as a terribly distracting echo.

Great description! For a non-performer, this makes it easy to understand the difference.

So does performing on outdoor stadium versus in the dome feel that much different too? I would imagine that a first time performer in the dome might feel a little "odd" at first?

I am in awe at what you guys do!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, spacewill said:

So let's do the hypothetical guessing game challenge. 

I know it changes year to year and is random based on judges, but:

What does everyone think the high prelims score will be? I think it will be 92.5

and What is the score that the 14th band will have to hit to make finals?  I think 88 this year given the quality of competition.

 

Sorry, meant to post this in the BOA SA Super Regional Thread.  I realize UIL scoring is different.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, BandDad4 said:

I'm going all in on Texas Holdum and give TC the dark horse finals slot. If scoring holds TC was far away above LD Bell. I could see either them or Keller, but not both. Perhaps first out.

there are many dark horses this competition that could take a spot in finals it’s crazy. from timber creek, dripping springs, keller, and LD bell. any of these groups could make it. me personally i feel like timber creek and maybe dripping springs can both make it into finals

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, FaultLineBlues said:

Genuine PSA from the bottom of my heart.

If you find yourself in San Antonio, after the contest has ended, late at night and you're looking for something to eat with your family?

 

Do NOT go to the Denny's near the Alamodome.

 

It is a nightmare on earth. I went there last year and my girlfriend and I didn't get our food for two hours, and apparently every bus driver in the area had decided to show up and have the loudest possible conversation, about the most vile stuff possible. They also somehow managed to get three rounds of food before anyone else in our area got anything lmao

 

I don't think I've seen true defeat in a face until we hit the second hour of waiting for food, and the family behind us (which I believe was from the Woodlands, they were very patient and understanding) literally started to fall asleep.

 

That doesn't even begin to talk about the homeless people that would wander into the store and have to be escorted out regularly.

 

So please, if you're hungry late after BOA, just eat somewhere else. Yard House maybe? It's more pricey but it's better than that darn Denny's, that's for sure. Heck, even a McDonald's would beat that Denny's. 

Thank you so much for the heads up! I went to a whataburger after DCI SA this past summer and holy gods it was slow. Realistically just don’t go anywhere near the stadium after a contest PERIOD lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BandDad4 said:

I'm going all in on Texas Holdum and give TC the dark horse finals slot. If scoring holds TC was far away above LD Bell. I could see either them or Keller, but not both. Perhaps first out.

In terms of UIL yes, in terms of BOA there was quite a gap between Bell and TC. However it has been a month and all three of the ensemble’s you’ve mentioned have grown a lot. I won’t be surprised if one or two of these make it or if they all three miss. I’d love to have a newbie like TC in finals tho!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/2/2022 at 1:58 PM, Samuel Culper said:

I've seen so many references to Vista Ridge/Vandegrift at Area vs State last year as if it's almost a given that the same thing will happen this year.

Two points:

1 - Vista beat Vandy at Area in 2018 as well, also after finishing behind them at BOA Austin.  We know how that year turned out.

2 - Vista's show this year is much stronger than last year. I think that it pretty clear.

I'm not making any promises as to what will happen, that Vista will beat Vandy at either BOASA or State. But I am saying that they are a good horse to bet on to surpass most people's expectations. 

I agree. Vista's show this year is completely different from last year, so it's almost impossible to compare the two years, same with Vandy. Both bands are incredibly strong and area is never a direct sight into what will happen at state and SA. It's going to be an interesting next few days for sure 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/2/2022 at 12:28 PM, zoomer said:

Unfortunately that stadium is AWFUL for acoustics. As someone who has been to SA and GN in the same year, keep it in Lucas Oil. 

Lucas Oil and downtown Indianapolis were specifically set up for the Grand Nationals. I can't think of another city that is more logistically appropriate for it. Where else do you have indoor facilities where you can practice and warm up that is large enough to fit an entire football field? If I remember correctly, there are four rooms that big. And the acoustics are much better as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, MikeKyu said:

Last year they ran all classifications to make up for COVID restrictions and complications placed by school districts for the 2020 contest. 

But they have indeed announced it will be every year going forward.    It changes a lot for many Texas bands-   Do you want to be a BOA band?   Or do you want to pursue UIL greatness?   One could argue that the very best bands would win both….   But many will have resource restrictions -   It will be interesting!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/3/2022 at 11:43 AM, FaultLineBlues said:

Genuine PSA from the bottom of my heart.

If you find yourself in San Antonio, after the contest has ended, late at night and you're looking for something to eat with your family?

 

Do NOT go to the Denny's near the Alamodome.

 

It is a nightmare on earth. I went there last year and my girlfriend and I didn't get our food for two hours, and apparently every bus driver in the area had decided to show up and have the loudest possible conversation, about the most vile stuff possible. They also somehow managed to get three rounds of food before anyone else in our area got anything lmao

 

I don't think I've seen true defeat in a face until we hit the second hour of waiting for food, and the family behind us (which I believe was from the Woodlands, they were very patient and understanding) literally started to fall asleep.

 

That doesn't even begin to talk about the homeless people that would wander into the store and have to be escorted out regularly.

 

So please, if you're hungry late after BOA, just eat somewhere else. Yard House maybe? It's more pricey but it's better than that darn Denny's, that's for sure. Heck, even a McDonald's would beat that Denny's. 

No way I went to the bathroom there before state my freshman year🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...