2022 6A UIL State

5 minutes ago, htxbd said:

Maybe so but The Woodlands looked and sounded incredible at Area. Very impressive and I would love to see them get first or second. 

It’s a mistake to call it for Hebron prematurely, even though they’re definitely my favorite out of the bunch for me personally, there’s quite a few bands that are vying and capable of snatching the title from them! Even though I would still have my pick be Hebron haha

1 minute ago, itsstephenyo said:

Interesting, I thought the opposite. Bit of a rougher run than even their Super Regionals prelims performance. 

You could definitely hear some timing issues with the pit and the ensemble. They didn’t have any stick-outs and bad sounds that I heard from the recording though, they really cleaned up from the ballad onward, and that closer performance is probably one of their best runs of it. I’m sure they’ll have a more put together finals performance to leave no doubt, at least as little of it as possible haha

1 minute ago, Asaiah said:

First time seeing the NFHS stream, definitely not a fan of the lighting for the multicam angles, the fisheye lens on the highcam, or the audio balancing in general. Yikes!

The audio balance has been my biggest complaint so far. For some bands, it seems like depending on where they put the speakers for their pit completely affects the way the band sounds on the recording. Hebron and the Woodlands both sounded like their pit was 3x as loud as BOA, but Vista actually had a decent balance. Hopefully it's something they work out by tomorrow, because it literally just seems like a mic placement issue.

1 minute ago, snares said:

The audio balance has been my biggest complaint so far. For some bands, it seems like depending on where they put the speakers for their pit completely affects the way the band sounds on the recording. Hebron and the Woodlands both sounded like their pit was 3x as loud as BOA, but Vista actually had a decent balance. Hopefully it's something they work out by tomorrow, because it literally just seems like a mic placement issue.

Yeah... let's just hope that they listen to the feedback and fix these things by tomorrow. It's nothing that can't be corrected.

Vista with big lush sounds....wow! This is my favorite Vista show ever, yes, ever. 

I totally dig Tomball's take on Jump, Jive and Wail. 

Reaching back a little bit Hanna was a great show. Their band's familiarity with the music game it not only a unique sound but one that really allowed them to enjoy the show. 

7 minutes ago, Vidal28 said:

Medal contenders I had going in are Vista, Hebron, TWHS, Vandy and Reagan

I can agree with this I think they are not only the strongest performances of the day but their shows lean in a UIL direction. I think CTJ and Cedar Ridge had amazing runs and will probably be in finals but it will be hard to challenge the mentioned bands. I have a feeling Marcus will place higher then BOA SA based on historical out comes. 

47 minutes ago, TXTrumpetGuy said:

Block three:

Hebron: What else is there left to say? The brass book leaves me trying to catch my breath from the comforts of my couch. The props are perfect, the guard looks great, the soloists are probably the best I've heard all year (even though the mics were a bit hot in the ballad), is it a stretch to say they could make semifinals at the DCI World Class Championships? Probably, but who cares! This show is a delight to witness every time the opportunity arises. 

The Woodlands: One word: COLORGUARD. Nobody on the field looks like they're having as much fun as them. The crispness of the brass articulation in the opener gets me every time. It's no surprise why this show earned a silver medal and won GE this past weekend - it is "effective" in every sense of the word. I could see them slipping into the medal conversation here as well (especially given how close they were to Hebron in finals this past weekend), but we will just have to wait and see how it plays out.

Waxahachie: This show is like when you eat a dish so good that it takes you back in time to when your grandma used to make it: It hits you in the feels. The set pieces are beautiful, and the costumes compliment them very well. The dynamic control in the ballad is beyond impressive, and all the soloists really help bring this thing home. A strong finals contender to me.

Westlake: There's a lot going on in this show, partially because the clarinet soloist is absolutely shredding most of the time. Put his mic through a distortion pedal and he'd sound just like Eddie Van Halen. Kiss from a Rose is awesome, and I think works with the theme so well. The drill in the closer is sweet - and they execute. I would've been happy with just 8 minutes of jazzy clarinet solos, but what we get is a solid alternative.

Taylor: What a beautiful show. From the props to the uniforms to the music, it definitely puts an emphasis on emotional impact moments! The soloists were excellent, just icing on the cake!

Dickinson: I love anything having to do with movies, so they won me over pretty easily. They have some cool formations and they all looked really clean, and their impact moments are very effective. The Psycho music is a great way to finish off this wonderful homage to cinema. 

Alexander: The way they play with dynamics in the first impact moment is so cool. Those mellophones!!! The "scale" set is a great moment. Overall, a very solid show (with a very timely message) and a great run.

Midland: This show gives me big Academy 2016 vibes. The Sound of Silence always makes for a great ballad. There are lots of fun visual moments in the closer, and the soloists sounded very good!

Hanna: I adore this show. The props, the colors, the musical selections, all perfect. The kids look like they're having a blast too. They wanted to make a show for their community in Brownsville, and they've accomplished exactly that! 

I think Hebron’s hornline of the last two seasons has definitely been of a World Class semis level of quality, no question in my mind. 

11 minutes ago, Band2021 said:

I can agree with this I think they are not only the strongest performances of the day but their shows lean in a UIL direction. I think CTJ and Cedar Ridge had amazing runs and will probably be in finals but it will be hard to challenge the mentioned bands. I have a feeling Marcus will place higher then BOA SA based on historical out comes. 

I have Marcus in the top half as well, I said they would make it with ease due to how much their show caters to UIL but even then now, I might have to retract saying it would be easy for them as no one is wanting to give an inch here today👀

8 minutes ago, Vidal28 said:

I think Hebron’s hornline of the last two seasons has definitely been of a World Class semis level of quality, no question in my mind. 

It's crazy to think about when they're between the ages of 14-18, but the system they're in sets them up for success so well. The performers have all the tools they need to sound like a world class hornline, thanks to excellent teaching.