Vandegrift

The Woodlands

Hebron

Coppell

Flower Mound

Marcus

Keller

Pearland

Vista grew on me BIG TIME this season! Musically superb (and it reflected in the scores,) and CEDAR-FREAKING-RIDGE!!!

In a way, LISD North was definetely not the same as last year (at least for me.) Penstriped, Dr. Seuss, and The Missing Piece were all just phenomenal to watch! While I didn't hate any of their shows this year, I found it more difficult to really engage and love them this year.

Agreed, we’ll see what LISD north pulls out of their hats next year though. I most certainly will be there to watch as a DFW local here haha

For those of you new to band or wanting to improve, one thing our band does is share with everyone (parents included) the judges' recordings. It really helps to hear exactly what they're looking for. For example, during prelims we got the note, "It's important to make a curve with your arm that starts from your spine, not from your shoulder." And, "Make sure those sabers are caught at the 45-degree angle." So the whole band had the opportunity to hear that and realize this is what this judging panel is looking for. If your band program doesn't do this, maybe go to your Band Boosters and see if it will work for you. 

Fun fact: if you take the SCORES from the recap and average them instead of the rankings, this is how it turns out.

1 Hebron 98.329 (+1)

2 Vandegrift 97.971 (-1)

3 Cedar Ridge 97.614

4 The Woodlands 97.014

5 Vista Ridge 96.857

6 Reagan 96.757

7 Flower Mound 95.471

8 Marcus 94.686 (+1)

9 Coppell 94.214 (-1)

10 Keller 93.171 (+1)

11 Round Rock 92.857 (-1)

12 CTJ 92.071

13 Waxahachie 91.329 (+1)

14 Pearland 91.257 (-1)

It is interesting to note that if UIL averaged all the judge's raw scores (while all being weighted the same) to create a more BOA style 0-100 scale that the results would have been flipped.

Hebron-98.3

Vandegrift-97.9

Edit: this post is not meant to take away anything from Vandegrift, I'm just a huge numbers nerd 🤓

26 minutes ago, natertater21000 said:

It is interesting to note that if UIL averaged all the judge's raw scores (while all being weighted the same) to create a more BOA style 0-100 scale that the results would have been flipped.

Hebron-98.3

Vandegrift-97.9

Edit: this post is not meant to take away anything from Vandegrift, I'm just a huge numbers nerd 🤓

Now do it using the BOA 60/40 weighting

18 hours ago, JTApex said:

IMO, the recaps never tell the full story. To truly understand, you'd need access to the full judging sheets that show their reasoning. In any activity that is judged subjectively, each judge has his/her own perspective and that will be reflected in how they rank each group. Note that I'm not saying they are slanted to one band over another, just that each may value each of the criteria they are responsible for a little differently.

With a field as good as the 14 finalists this year are, the judges may well have to focus on fairly minor, to us, things in order to create some real distinctions between several phenomenal groups.

I'm curious about those judging sheets, I assume these are only available to the directors? I always wondered why we see consistant scoring and then more often than one not you have this one judge as we used to say, smoking crack, with a wildly different scoring. Perhaps we should starting throwing out the high and low?

1 hour ago, BandFan59 said:

Kind of a random fact, but last year Marcus, Flower Mound, and Coppell placed 3rd, 4th, and 5th at state. This year the order switched around with Flower Mound coming out on top and Coppell behind them, but they all placed right next to each other again in 7th, 8th, and 9th. DFW bands stick together!

Regarding flower mound, and i don’t really see this as a negative since they were 2nd at TMEA state honor band and have numerous all-staters, I’ve noticed their placements over the years at state have gotten lower. From state years in 2016-2022 the trend went 1st->2nd->3rd->4th ->7th. Anybody have an idea why that is?

10 minutes ago, TenorSaxMan16 said:

Does anyone have a meaning on what Hebron's show was? I understand it was something with a radio station but like also the ocean? If I'm wrong just tell me lol

I think they were going for a jukebox format of popular music we’ve heard on the radio + classical, orchestral style music. Hence the stereo props, CD props. And the boat props, I think refers to the “Odyssey” part of the show title “Odyssey FM”, while the other props refer to the “FM” part.

Musically I think the bergersen and Vivaldi music refer to the Odyssey part cuz I can imagine being a Viking in boat with this music playing in the background(lol) while the other selections refer to the FM part since those are more mainstream, popular music selections we’ve heard on the radio. 

Edited by Dallas Hobbs

6 minutes ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

Regarding flower mound, and i don’t really see this as a negative since they were 2nd at TMEA state honor band and have numerous all-staters, I’ve noticed their placements over the years at state have gotten lower. From state years in 2016-2022 the trend went 1st->2nd->3rd->4th ->7th. Anybody have an idea why that is?

I think last year their show was more designed for a BOA setting and peaked at Grand Nationals rather than UIL State. As for this year I personally feel that their show, while still fantastic, wasn't up to the level we've seen from them in the past. Musically it was still very good and the design was super creative but drill wise it was a bit safe in my opinion. That said it was still an awesome show and I'm sure they'll be back to the heights we all know they're capable of reaching next year.

26 minutes ago, mmbandfan said:

7 of the 14 finalist schools this year did not exist in 1998, btw.

Vandegrift (2009), Cedar Ridge (2008), Vista Ridge (2003), Flower Mound (1999), Hebron (1999), CTJ (2008), and Ronald Reagan (1999)

Ha! Wow, that’s quite a collection of excellent bands. I’m not quite sure if you were intending to support my point or not, but I feel like your observation was ultimately supportive.

17 hours ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

So I was looking at the recaps and Vandegrift won the tiebreaker via a 5-2 judges favoritism. I guess with 7 judges it doesn’t need to be as close as a 4-3 split. 

Correct.  And this is a perfect example of how the ordinal scoring system can (intentionally) produce a different champion than a "highest total" scoring system.  Hebron had the higher total score (6,883 vs. 6,858) but 5 of the 7 judges ranked Vandegrift higher.  Pretty sure UIL would tell you that this is a feature, not a bug.