2022 6A UIL State

1 minute ago, lost said:

I guess it’s time to start asking. 

Who’s going to Indy next year?!

The normal stalwarts in the Woodlands, Round Rock, and CTJ (I think?), but Hebron will also be there as it'll be their turn in the 4 year cycle. Also think we'll see one or more first timers making the trip, but that's still up in the air atm.

4 minutes ago, BandFan59 said:

The normal stalwarts in the Woodlands, Round Rock, and CTJ (I think?), but Hebron will also be there as it'll be their turn in the 4 year cycle. Also think we'll see one or more first timers making the trip, but that's still up in the air atm.

Will this be the year Coppell finally takes the plunge?

Way back in 2019 very early on the plan was Grand Nationals they switched it to do St. Louis but I think it’s been on their to-do list especially after great showings at SA and UIL today.

6 minutes ago, lost said:

Will this be the year Coppell finally takes the plunge?

Way back in 2019 very early on the plan was Grand Nationals they switched it to do St. Louis but I think it’s been on their to-do list especially after great showings at SA and UIL today.

They are one of the bands that I think is considering it. It will be Shuttlesworth's third year at Coppell and after two very successful years they may be ready to make the trip. Though if the proposal for a yearly state marching contest goes into effect in 2023, that could affect their plans as well as the plans for many other bands.

6 minutes ago, VistaGuardDad said:

That's why I was hesitant to post it, but I'm truly trying to learn because I'm new to this and I'm totally hooked on it also. 

Totally understandable! I'm sorry if my explanation came off as snarky, I didn't mean for it to be that way! It's hard to quite understand how a lot of stuff is early on. 

9 minutes ago, lost said:

I guess it’s time to start asking. 

Who’s going to Indy next year?!

I believe Round Rock making San Antonio finals this year secured their trip for this year! Do we know when Vandy plans on returning? They kinda tore the place down last time, and a return would probably go equally as well. 

Also, a ten year anniversary of their first and only visit would be a great time for Cedar Ridge to return to the event! 

Top Half Analysis

Vandegrift- A 4A state champ and now a 6A state champ! This is their 5th state medal (2 🥇 , 2 🥈, 1 🥉) Their cleanliness is otherworldly! Well deserved first place.

Hebron- This is their 5th silver🥈 and 6th overall including their 🥇 last year. They’re my favorite group to listen to and their competitive season was amazing this year! 

Cedar Ridge- First state medal for them! 🥉  Their percussion must’ve been sublime to be 1st in prelims and finals! I wouldn’t know cuz I played bassoon and clarinet and can’t tell you what a flam or paradiddle is 🤷🏾‍♂️ 

The Woodlands- I accurately picked this placement(the upper three were all wrong 🙈). I rewarded them for their proficiency in playing that exposed, jazz stuff. Man was it fun to listen to! And although their drill formations may not have been the most complex, it was super exposed and they performed it very well.

Vista Ridge- I accurately picked this placement for them. I just wasn’t sure if I should put them above or below Reagan. I knew Reagan would place higher in more captions than Vista but I underestimated how high Vista would place in the captions they placed higher than Reagan in. 1st in Music Ensemble and Brass!🤯 I loved that French horn feature in the beginning and how well it blends with the rest of the brass, and how well they handle those SUPER exposed parts big hits! I think they got 5th because of their drill formations weren’t as complex or as exposed as the other groups.

Ronald Reagan- They were 2 lower than I predicted. Their body control throughout all of those complex choreography and drill formations was super impressive. And they sounded great in every section. I liked the moment when they were in pairs and would alternate between the brass and woodwinds

Flower Mound- . Accurately predicted this one. Loved their theme like everyone else. I think the bands above them just had a stronger integrity of sound in their brass. everyone performed their parts sublimely nonetheless. I loved the ignition music where the high brass alternate those 16th notes and how well they do it with dynamic contrast 

I had an odd feeling/hope that Vandy would win state after watching their BOA Austin finals performance despite it being a video. That was quickly replaced by Hebron after watching them at Bedford... I was absolutely floored.

The results were a bit of a shocker at first, but if you think about it, they really aren't that surprising.

One main thing that stuck to me was that Hebron wasn't as visually clean this year compared to last season.
Individual visuals were all over the place, and it really stuck out to me when I watched the BOA finals multicam. Choreography being a grace note to half a count late or early, flute angles being inconsistent, etc. That definitely explained their 2nd place in Visual Individual at SA finals.
Visual ensemble took a hit too. In 2021, there was a huge parallelogram rotation/dilation towards the end of the closer. That was SO ****ING CLEAN at state finals. As in, BD 2022 line rotation/spiral level clean. Nearly picture perfect. This year, there was a similar drill move in the closer. It wasn't as clean. The lines didn't hit; some people consistently missed cover downs. Some of the box rotations before the waterfall in the opener also looked iffy during the move (cleaned up at the hold, which means someone was taking a curved path.)
Overall, visuals just weren't at the level of cleanliness that they achieved in 2021.

I can't comment much on music as it's not something I'm really good at comparing (I thought Round Rock's ensemble sound was worse than Keller's at SA finals, but Keller scored lower... thank god I'm not a judge) and because I wasn't there in person. However, the mello sustain at the very end wasn't in tune and was uncharacteristically metallic/buzzy in sound, though it did lock in at the end. I don't know if it was because of NFHS, but it sounded better at SA finals.

So yeah, that's my analysis on why Hebron didn't win. A bit sad because I hoped for a double back-to-back state/SA title, but I'm also glad that Vandy won.
(Reagan is now next in line for preferred first-time state champion candidate.)

Bottom Half Analysis

Coppell- Accurately predicted this placement. Those woodwind triplet parts in the opener are harder than they sound imo. It’s challenging to maintain rhythmic integrity while playing those for that long and they knocked it out of the park. I loved that big opening hit in the beginning with the guard embellishing the moment. Great performance! I think the bands above them were stronger marchers which helped their visual scores but they were great nonetheless. 

Marcus- Accurately predicted this one- They’re my 2nd favorites after Hebron because of how well they maintain a sense of blend and balance in the quietest music ever, how perfectly they shape every phrase, and were super clean technically. I think the groups above them were just more intense with their ensemble sound. 

Round Rock- Accurately predicted this one. Omg I love their brass! Especially in the ballad with how well they handle that exposed content. And they move so well for such a large group. I think the people above them were just cleaner but man can they perform.

Keller- Always love watching them live because of how they blast my face off😭😩. Maybe not as much dynamic contrast as the groups above them imo but what I love about them is how well the play on the move particularly at faster tempos. They switched with CTJ for my prediction. 

CTJ- Daniel Valdez was right, it was like watching a track meet when I saw them live at BOA SA! Boy can they move! And I love how LOUD they are! 

Pearland- Accurately predicted this one. Will always love how well the woodwinds handle that delicate Pegasus music. Great performers all around, love their guard too. 

Waxahachie- Yay region 20! Accurately predicted this placement too. I’ll always admire that concert band style they play with. There’s Something sophisticated and professional about the way they sound imo. I think the people above them were just more intense performers and had more active visual demands. I love the way they handle their music with the choreography in the beginning. Great control of sounds. And my goodness do they play well in extended phrases😩

From what I’ve heard from a lot of Vista Ridge parents, A LOT of students (around 20ish) were out with the flu the past week which was seen through all the holes ever since BOA San Antonio. It seemed like most of them came back in time for State Finals, but I’m sure those students weren’t at 100% yet since they missed time or are still recovering which I’m sure impacted their marching technique. Looking at the ordinals, if they were in the 5-6 range for individual visual instead of 9 then they’d be looking at a medal. Regardless, insane grit and perseverance for that band to place 5th even with all their health issues. 

7 minutes ago, david19c said:

From what I’ve heard from a lot of Vista Ridge parents, A LOT of students (around 20ish) were out with the flu the past week which was seen through all the holes ever since BOA San Antonio.

They had so many that they actually ended up having to make one of their buses a quarantine bus. 

1 hour ago, FaultLineBlues said:

Totally understandable! I'm sorry if my explanation came off as snarky, I didn't mean for it to be that way! It's hard to quite understand how a lot of stuff is early on. 

I believe Round Rock making San Antonio finals this year secured their trip for this year! Do we know when Vandy plans on returning? They kinda tore the place down last time, and a return would probably go equally as well. 

Also, a ten year anniversary of their first and only visit would be a great time for Cedar Ridge to return to the event! 

Round Rock is going to London June 2024 so don't think they're going to Indy in 2023

1 hour ago, celesta said:

I had an odd feeling/hope that Vandy would win state after watching their BOA Austin finals performance despite it being a video. That was quickly replaced by Hebron after watching them at Bedford... I was absolutely floored.

The results were a bit of a shocker at first, but if you think about it, they really aren't that surprising.

One main thing that stuck to me was that Hebron wasn't as visually clean this year compared to last season.
Individual visuals were all over the place, and it really stuck out to me when I watched the BOA finals multicam. Choreography being a grace note to half a count late or early, flute angles being inconsistent, etc. That definitely explained their 2nd place in Visual Individual at SA finals.
Visual ensemble took a hit too. In 2021, there was a huge parallelogram rotation/dilation towards the end of the closer. That was SO ****ING CLEAN at state finals. As in, BD 2022 line rotation/spiral level clean. Nearly picture perfect. This year, there was a similar drill move in the closer. It wasn't as clean. The lines didn't hit; some people consistently missed cover downs. Some of the box rotations before the waterfall in the opener also looked iffy during the move (cleaned up at the hold, which means someone was taking a curved path.)
Overall, visuals just weren't at the level of cleanliness that they achieved in 2021.

I can't comment much on music as it's not something I'm really good at comparing (I thought Round Rock's ensemble sound was worse than Keller's at SA finals, but Keller scored lower... thank god I'm not a judge) and because I wasn't there in person. However, the mello sustain at the very end wasn't in tune and was uncharacteristically metallic/buzzy in sound, though it did lock in at the end. I don't know if it was because of NFHS, but it sounded better at SA finals.

So yeah, that's my analysis on why Hebron didn't win. A bit sad because I hoped for a double back-to-back state/SA title, but I'm also glad that Vandy won.
(Reagan is now next in line for preferred first-time state champion candidate.)

I would say for Hebron, they probably just took their show a bit too fast, and yeah, the mello sustain I felt was a bit off most of the time I heard. You can do a lot right and be incredibly proficient at your instrument, but if you stick out, you do get ticked, it does matter. I love how hard Hebron pushes their students in their performance too. You can also see just how pure Vista ridge sounded all throughout, they were so impressive as well so I do see why they edged ahead of Hebron in brass, even if they didn’t have the higher content score. I feel like reiterating my point that their 2021 show placed as high as they did in the music scores for a reason, they were just the better sounding band by quite a significant margin, whereas you could say that was the case *completely* this year. There were some rough edges that made it be just slightly less than pristine compared to other groups that were able to match them better this year. But even then they were still one of the best sounding groups in the state and still as excellent as ever and had a great finish to their year! I can’t wait to see how they do for themselves the rest of the year, especially with their selection to TMEA honor band. It’ll be awesome to hear this group again in the spring! And then next fall, we’ll see what they do then👀

1 hour ago, JustSomeGuy said:

So what are your rankings of the bands in terms of personal favorites?

Vista Ridge

Cedar Ridge

Waxahachie

Ronald Reagan

Round Rock

CTJ

Vandegrift

The Woodlands

Hebron

Coppell

Flower Mound

Marcus

Keller

Pearland

Vista grew on me BIG TIME this season! Musically superb (and it reflected in the scores,) and CEDAR-FREAKING-RIDGE!!!

In a way, LISD North was definetely not the same as last year (at least for me.) Penstriped, Dr. Seuss, and The Missing Piece were all just phenomenal to watch! While I didn't hate any of their shows this year, I found it more difficult to really engage and love them this year.