2022 6A UIL State

10 minutes ago, TXTrumpetGuy said:

Reagan was 1st in C/D last night, and dropped to 4th tonight. I know judges swap captions, but I'd hate to think that their electronic issues might have effected the design rankings. 

Reagan had a string of bad luck. First, the fireworks during their performance on Saturday night and then the electronic failure today. The kids played through it like champs. Tough break for sure. 

I'm pretty new to band. This is only my second year and we aren't even from Texas so our first two kids didn't go to school with a band that did much more than play some Queen at football games. Can someone explain what the different things mean in the scores? I get the music stuff, that's pretty straight forward. What is Visual Individual? Does that mean we don't have enough guard to compete with the guys that have 50 to 90 guard members?

Also, if this isn't appropriate or anyone takes offence please let me know and I'll remove this part of the post. No offense meant at all, but I don't understand the scores that Cedar Ridge got. I've seen posts about their drum core being amazing both at BOA and in state, but I didn't see anything the really pushed it over say Vista or Vandy. I totally get visual ensemble score (I love that the front end also has a guard like uniform). As I said, I don't mean any offense because I do actually enjoy their show I just don't understand how it's better than most of the people they placed in front of. Apparently completely because of my ignorance. 

17 minutes ago, TXTrumpetGuy said:

Reagan was 1st in C/D last night, and dropped to 4th tonight. I know judges swap captions, but I'd hate to think that their electronic issues might have effected the design rankings. 

mmmmaybe, couldn't have helped. kinda the risk of electronics. Mr. Joel Denton is typically a music judge tho. Mr. Lee Carlson who did prelims is a visual guy. same sheet, but maybe diff perspectives, like DCI GE. Reagan's been suuuper dominant in visual this season.

changing gears, sooo thrilled for twhs. they finally beat the 5th place record we set in 2002. took em long enough.

after seeing twhs at area my early season fears melted away and i knew we all had been sleeping on them. eeeeasily in finals and strong possibility for top half at BOA i thought, then they went even further than that. unreal. sooo happy for them and the new guys. a miracle season.

9 minutes ago, BandFan95 said:

Top 3 - 2 are from the Austin area. Heehee...think about this...Cedar Ridge, Round Rock, Westwood, Vista Ridge and Vandy are in the same district. Add McNeil to that mix. CRAZY. It was even crazier when Leander was in 6a

WAY TO GO VANDY AND CEDAR RIDGE

Vista and Vandy are LISD (also Cedar Park, Rouse, Leander and Glenn)

Round Rock, Cedar Ridge, and Westwood are RRISD

1 minute ago, MikeKyu said:

This is why I'm not a fan of so many electronics in shows. 

I don't usually mind as long as the balance works with the band, and I think it's a part of the activity for the foreseeable future, which I'm fine with. I guess the show designers/teachers know the risks of electronic-heavy programs, and take the bad with the good. It just sucks that the bad happened on the last run of the year.

8 minutes ago, VistaGuardDad said:

What is Visual Individual? Does that mean we don't have enough guard to compete with the guys that have 50 to 90 guard members?

It's not based on guard numbers, it's based on the individual marchers and guard members, and the consistency and quality of their individual marching or choreo, rather than the large scale image being created. 

8 minutes ago, VistaGuardDad said:

No offense meant at all, but I don't understand the scores that Cedar Ridge got. I've seen posts about their drum core being amazing both at BOA and in state, but I didn't see anything the really pushed it over say Vista or Vandy. I totally get visual ensemble score (I love that the front end also has a guard like uniform). As I said, I don't mean any offense because I do actually enjoy their show I just don't understand how it's better than most of the people they placed in front of. Apparently completely because of my ignorance. 

Also, it's alright to not like a show, but it does feel kinda sour grapey to have this be one of the first things you say after results come out. I'm not even a percussionist and I can see why CRs drumline got first, they're precise in their playing, and play unique and hard stuff very well. (not to say other programs don't, I just find CR drumline writing to be unique) 

9 minutes ago, VistaGuardDad said:

Also, if this isn't appropriate or anyone takes offence please let me know and I'll remove this part of the post. No offense meant at all, but I don't understand the scores that Cedar Ridge got. I've seen posts about their drum core being amazing both at BOA and in state, but I didn't see anything the really pushed it over say Vista or Vandy. I totally get visual ensemble score (I love that the front end also has a guard like uniform). As I said, I don't mean any offense because I do actually enjoy their show I just don't understand how it's better than most of the people they placed in front of. Apparently completely because of my ignorance. 

IMO, the recaps never tell the full story. To truly understand, you'd need access to the full judging sheets that show their reasoning. In any activity that is judged subjectively, each judge has his/her own perspective and that will be reflected in how they rank each group. Note that I'm not saying they are slanted to one band over another, just that each may value each of the criteria they are responsible for a little differently.

With a field as good as the 14 finalists this year are, the judges may well have to focus on fairly minor, to us, things in order to create some real distinctions between several phenomenal groups.

6 minutes ago, TXTrumpetGuy said:

I don't usually mind as long as the balance works with the band, and I think it's a part of the activity for the foreseeable future, which I'm fine with. I guess the show designers/teachers know the risks of electronic-heavy programs, and take the bad with the good. It just sucks that the bad happened on the last run of the year.

I know it's part of the activity for the foreseeable future. There are a lot of things that can be done with electronics on the field and it hasn't even begun to be explored yet (I've got some remarkably terrible ideas). The organizations have not invested in having proper techs set ups. With discussions I've had with staff and volunteers from multiple organizations tech is always an afterthought. I ran a professional 25,000 sq ft recording studio for many years and am quite familiar with recording electronics dying at the exact worst time possible. Actually after a few years I expected it and always had a WTF just happened backup plan. Unfortunately, I have not seen one organization have a back up plan on field. They may have them and so seamlessly integrated them that we never knew it happened but I have my doubts.