2022 6A UIL State

1 minute ago, BandDad4 said:

There are a reason there are salary caps in professional sports. This is detrimental to the health of competition in the end and breads apathy. I see it in football. Teams, fans, schools stop caring because what is the point and the money dries up and competition disapears. It becomes nothing more than just a rotation of the haves and the have nots are left on the sideline... Such is life though I guess. You see it in class discussions, taxing discussions, too big to fail. 

We have a lot of high top-tier band directors leaving programs because of poor pay, I’m not sure what the point is.

You have to ask yourself would you say the same thing to a football team? There is honor in winning and losing it's best to teach your children this now and learn from those experiences. What will they gain by saying "What's The Point"? If your band doesn't want to compete they don't have to but just imagine telling your kids that they wont travel or have a life time experience. Marching band is not always about competing.   

25 minutes ago, BandDad4 said:

I know finals is still going on, but speaking with the kids, some band parents across a few bands that did not make it into finals. Some of them are starting to wonder what is the point of SABOA and State if its the same bands year and year out. Bias, money, and juding inconsistancy is starting to build up.

7 minutes ago, david19c said:

Vista Ridge went from a bubble band and 16th at BOA SA 2017 to winning gold at 6A State 2018.

The 2nd post gets at my response to the first.  When my kids started at Vista Ridge, they went to MANY contests where they did not make finals. And it was particularly difficult watching their sister schools having so much success at the same time. 

Vista Ridge is absolutely proof that it can change. 

30 minutes ago, BandDad4 said:

There are a reason there are salary caps in professional sports. This is detrimental to the health of competition in the end and breads apathy. I see it in football. Teams, fans, schools stop caring because what is the point and the money dries up and competition disapears. It becomes nothing more than just a rotation of the haves and the have nots are left on the sideline... Such is life though I guess. You see it in class discussions, taxing discussions, too big to fail. 

Excellence has always required overcoming apathy and the logical fallacies it feeds on. There are no correct answers to be found in an echo chamber of incestuous amplification. More of these frustrated people should be  listening to those who have made the journey.

1 minute ago, JTApex said:

If it was just the pre-show, it shouldn't impact at all.

They only cut the pre-show but there was problems the entire performance.

They had electronic issues, tried to use some emergency connection, failed, told to start at set 22 and went from there. Speakers never worked (as we can hear from the harsh static).

2 minutes ago, RoseGoldRevival said:

They only cut the pre-show but there was problems the entire performance.

They had electronic issues, tried to use some emergency connection, failed, told to start at set 22 and went from there. Speakers never worked (as we can hear from the harsh static).

That’s two things

1. A really good decision from the BD, clearly knows what theyre doing.

2. An amazing job by the kids starting off and still delivering an amazing performance

It sucks they had issues, but wow those kids reacted so well to the adversity. It was like they practiced having that issue and knew exactly what to do. I sincerely hope it doesn't hurt them. Props to the band and the directors who got them ready to face adversity.

I love the effect the guard uniform has. I got to see it in person at TMC so I was much closer and could see how really cool they are.