2022 6A UIL State

4 hours ago, 1998-2018 said:

Not the same. The extent of the streaming problem was initially unknown. Collective action (e-mails) and some technical advice regarding setting changes does appear to have helped improve the situation where patience alone would not have.

Still, your point is not entirely without merit. Addicts denied access to their fix can be irrationally vocal.

How pedantically comical!

I know finals is still going on, but speaking with the kids, some band parents across a few bands that did not make it into finals. Some of them are starting to wonder what is the point of SABOA and State if its the same bands year and year out. Bias, money, and juding inconsistancy is starting to build up.

1 minute ago, BandDad4 said:

I know finals is still going on, but speaking with the kids, some band parents across a few bands that did not make it into finals. Some of them are starting to wonder what is the point of SABOA and State if its the same bands year and year out. Bias, money, and juding inconsistancy is starting to build up.

At other Super Regionals bands from many different states appear. It's not anyone's fault other bands from across states are too scared to go to the San Antonio Super Regional. UIL is for Texas, but San Antonio is for anyone that wants to test themselves.

Just now, slowbrass said:

The big dogs weren’t always the big dogs. They had to overcome the more “successful” programs to get where they are now. It’s constantly happening but it does take a while.

Even Hebron had to live in the shadows for a while. It all takes time.

1 minute ago, lost said:

This has been the same conversation for years.

When Marcus and L.D. Bell reigned supreme people wondered what was the point. When Westfield and Reagan were the kings people wondered why they ought to keep trying.

These comments and concerns are ingrained into competitive marching. It can be hard to keep missing after trying, but we have to remember some things.

Its more about the results it’s about what you learn through participating and putting effort.

Do the same bands seem to keep reigning supreme? Yes. However we put too much focus on big finalist achievements instead of focusing on big accomplishments on a smaller scale.

Glenn broke their first 80 ever at San Antonio this year, Argyle swept AA as a newly 5A band, Pecos won A with a 2 rating at region. Small accomplishments need to be amplified, because there’s value we don’t see.

It's so difficult to see it from this perspective when you're a student in one of the programs. The goals that teachers set for their students are so much more than a ranking at some BOA competition. But when you're a teenager, all you want to care about is if you beat Hebron or whoever. 

Just now, sogeg said:

Adding to what others have said, the bands who always make it, make it for a reason. Their consistency isn't a streak of luck, it's because the kids and the directors know how to perfect a show up until the very last day of the season. That isn't a trait specific to finalists, but it is the reason you see so much overlap in SASR and SMBC finalists from year to year. The bands that are consistent in their approach and high levels of execution, will see results.

There are a reason there are salary caps in professional sports. This is detrimental to the health of competition in the end and breads apathy. I see it in football. Teams, fans, schools stop caring because what is the point and the money dries up and competition disapears. It becomes nothing more than just a rotation of the haves and the have nots are left on the sideline... Such is life though I guess. You see it in class discussions, taxing discussions, too big to fail. 

So, with us being halfway done, here are my personal rankings for prelims! I do know UIL and BOA aren't the same, but some bands have without a doubt had their best runs today, but I could see the bottom half being as it was yesterday as well. Rankings are from first to last 

Coppell

Round Rock 

Marcus 

CTJ 

Pearland 

Keller 

Waxahachie