2022 6A UIL State

1 hour ago, Lildrummerdude1 said:

I absolutely can’t believe Coppell got 11th in percussion. After their successful showing at Thunder In The Hills and Lonestar drumline contest, I would at least expect them to place top 5. Questionable judging???

It's almost always in the quality of the run. They could have had a not so strong run in prelims. I also see a lot of people look at the percussion world as only battery and they don't pay attention to the front ensemble that much. It's 50/50, if you don't have a strong front ensemble you are hosed. (Finals percussion judge is a front ensemble person btw.)

5 hours ago, badboamemes said:

It's almost always in the quality of the run. They could have had a not so strong run in prelims. I also see a lot of people look at the percussion world as only battery and they don't pay attention to the front ensemble that much. It's 50/50, if you don't have a strong front ensemble you are hosed. (Finals percussion judge is a front ensemble person btw.)

We see this all the time in DCI and WGI when it comes to percussion. I’ve always been happy with Drum Judges because they always seem to be the best judges to call it like it is that night.

There is minor variance in judges that seem just to score battery with more weight over the front ensemble and those that tend to give them a more equal weight. I’ve listened to a bunch of DCI drum tapes on the bus and the score is reflected in the comments for sure.

I hope that we start to get the same outcomes in BOA and UIL. No matter the group, what you put on the field that night gets the score it deserves.

11 hours ago, CosmicLimbo said:

Honestly super happy for Duncanville. I hope they make use of this momentum and continue to grow and hopefully return to the heights they were once at. Visually they've improved tremendously and if they continue to produce great designs, and can start challenging themselves more on a musical front, they will be a force to be reckoned with. Congragulation Dville!

So happy they got the message delivered a couple seasons ago and have updated their designs. Though I can’t help wondering how much they were hurt by their choice of band and color guard uniforms.

2 hours ago, Fez76 said:

So interesting to see the Area I results completely flipped (setting aside JET). Cypress Woods came out on top at state. Woods definitely had a great run with a difficult and interesting show. Fair’s placement so low is very surprising, though.

It kinda happened last year too. Bridgeland then Woods then SL then JV went to SL then Bridgeland then Woods and JV at state.

We can never trust Area I ever.

4 hours ago, littlejaw said:

We see this all the time in DCI and WGI when it comes to percussion. I’ve always been happy with Drum Judges because they always seem to be the best judges to call it like it is that night.

There is minor variance in judges that seem just to score battery with more weight over the front ensemble and those that tend to give them a more equal weight. I’ve listened to a bunch of DCI drum tapes on the bus and the score is reflected in the comments for sure.

I hope that we start to get the same outcomes in BOA and UIL. No matter the group, what you put on the field that night gets the score it deserves.

Percussion judges definitely call it like it is, but I’m sure the woodwind and brass judges also do a pretty fine job as well haha

Looking past prelims results to the finals schedule.

Vista Ridge has had some very good fortune when it comes to finals draws between tonight and BOA. 

I don’t really think Hebron is going to take a tie for first yesterday lying down, but I also get the sense that Vandegrift can taste that gold medal, and will leave it all on the field today.

There’s only two bands in the bottom half I could see moving into the top : Marcus and CTJ. It’s going to be difficult for that to happen, if there’s any motion I think it’s from one of those bands, but not both.

The top 5 is going to be interesting. I think the groups that’ll be there will stay roughly the same as yesterday, but I could see the rankings fluctuating quite a bit.

All in all, the stage is set for a really stellar lineup this afternoon. I can confidently say I have no idea what is going to happen, but I can’t wait to watch it all unfold.

12 minutes ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

What do you all mean by “call it like it is”? 

The number on the sheet is reflective of the performance that evening. Evidence in point, nearly every corps’ scores go up at every show all season with no dips. And some groups never have any variance in sub caption placement all season.

1 minute ago, Tubalord11 said:

Good afternoon everyone! I will be doing live updates for each band via NFHS, and will also be able to announce placements if needed, although it seems the stream is a little behind/ not 100% live. But anyways, good luck to everyone! This is the finish line for all of these programs, so give it your all everyone! 

The stream was definitely between 3-5 minutes behind yesterday. It made me nervous for the bands when it looked like they were taking the field 5 minutes into their performance slot.

7 minutes ago, TXTrumpetGuy said:

The stream was definitely between 3-5 minutes behind yesterday. It made me nervous for the bands when it looked like they were taking the field 5 minutes into their performance slot.

yeah. and I was watching the announcement of finalist but they were coming in from someone else way before the first one was announced so I guessed it was behind, but hopefully today it isn't. doesn't look like it is right now I think.