2022 6A UIL State

4 minutes ago, TXTrumpetGuy said:

Well, yet another UIL sheet with which I have numerous disagreements. What a surprise. 

Not surprised that Vandy and Hebron tied, and could totally see Vandegrift win tomorrow night. 

The fight for the top 3 spots is going to be awesome tomorrow. I think everyone in the top 6 can absolutely grab a medal, but I also can see Flomo jumping in there as well. 

Really glad to see Vista Ridge getting some music love. Thought they were higher than 5th in ensemble but the brass and woodwind ranks make sense to me.

The jump from 6th to 7th is bigger than I was expecting. I can see the top half fluctuating a bit tomorrow, but I think the gaps in the bottom half are pretty stable.

C/D has it's flaws as a caption, and that was certainly showcased today, but I felt like visual ensemble was especially odd. L.D. Bell ranking 18th there seems low, and I'm not sure about Timber Creek at 35th in that category as well. 

No adjudication system is perfect, but UIL reminds me time after time why I prefer the BOA/DCI points system.

If you gave TC 20’s in both C/D and Visual ensemble, they would have jumped up to 16th or so in the standings, what I feel should’ve been their true ranking.  Even if they wouldn’t have made finals regardless, they still got tanked real hard there, and I don’t really see why

24 minutes ago, erics said:

Coppell’s perc score went from 2nd/3rd place last year to 11th this year. Not sure why, the program seems to be very good still. 

I can’t think of a high school marching competition with a more stacked lineup of percussion sections.  Feel like there could be lots of movement in that caption tomorrow just because of how deep it is.  

Man, what a day and what a contest.

I was surely convinced the top 2 of the contest would be hebron and the woodlands. Wasn’t quite expecting vandy to sneak up and tie with hebron like that. 

Gotta say it’s cool to see waxahachie back in finals and to see pearland in finals as well. This is a transition year for pearland and they’re already doing so much better than before, I think they will be one of the next powerhouse programs in the coming years.

Sad about Ld Bell missing finals for the first time in so long, however they had a tough job with that time spot so they decided to give it their all. 16th after going 2nd isn’t bad at all actually. Looking forward to seeing them make their come back soon enough. 

I’m ready for tomorrow but i’m also ready for some sleep, see y’all tomorrow!

1 minute ago, LKendrick said:

I can’t think of a high school marching competition with a more stacked lineup of percussion sections.  Feel like there could be lots of movement in that caption tomorrow just because of how deep it is.  

I would predict there to be quite a bit of movement in most captions tomorrow. I wonder how much in the musical section performance captions. I feel the judges were mostly in the ballpark, but I do still anticipate some change there as well

8 minutes ago, bandisbetterintexas said:

can anyone give me information on the judges tonight?

Many of this year’s judges have been constants in the BOA, DCI, and WGI circuits. Off the top of my head I know Chip Crotts is the brass caption head of Blue Devils. So a lot of big names on the panel with a history of judging these types of events, but that doesn’t always mean results will go the way one might expect them to.

3 minutes ago, BandFan59 said:

Many of this year’s judges have been constants in the BOA, DCI, and WGI circuits. Off the top of my head I know Chip Crotts is the brass caption head of Blue Devils. So a lot of big names on the panel with a history of judging these types of events, but that doesn’t always mean results will go the way one might expect them to.

At least the UIL discreditors/disregarders can’t use the “retired old timey teacher judge” card anymore lol

Honestly, the results and finalists are strikingly similar to the BOA results from a couple days ago, at least when compared to UIL contests of the past. The biggest shake-up is the swapping of CTJ and Cedar Ridge, I guess. Then again, as others have pointed out, this panel consisted entirely of judges from "The Big Three". I guess it isn't surprising they went for those judges, given how much more closely the sheets look like BOA sheets -- also, maybe because these judges have fewer connections to the bands in Texas.

Honestly super happy for Duncanville. I hope they make use of this momentum and continue to grow and hopefully return to the heights they were once at. Visually they've improved tremendously and if they continue to produce great designs, and can start challenging themselves more on a musical front, they will be a force to be reckoned with. Congragulation Dville!

15 minutes ago, LKendrick said:

Super proud of Odessa Permian.  

2016 - 37th

2021 - 33rd

2022 - 29th

Beat some really good bands today.  A little better every year. 

Great job Mojo band! It’s nice to see a relevant West Texas band again. They bested some solid Houston area bands tonight

Only graduating 35-40 seniors for a band of 300+. Future is bright!

7 minutes ago, lost said:

I’m slightly inclined to believe Visual Ensemble scores might have incorporated colorguard a little bit more than usual? At least going off scores and the judge.

The adjudicator there is certainly qualified to judge it, as he judges movement for WGI and color guard for DCI. But, ultimately, it's just one part of a sheet that has many other considerations. Actually, the lack of a pure color guard or auxiliary caption here is conspicuous, considering every other section of the band has been singled out with their own judge.

13 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

The adjudicator there is certainly qualified to judge it, as he judges movement for WGI and color guard for DCI. But, ultimately, it's just one part of a sheet that has many other considerations. Actually, the lack of a pure color guard or auxiliary caption here is conspicuous, considering every other section of the band has been singled out with their own judge.

hmmmm i believe he also judges design analysis for WGI which is like the ens vis for guards. fellow ivy league type. Harvard law grad i think. dances too. lol. dancing lawyer.

1 minute ago, Lildrummerdude1 said:

I absolutely can’t believe Coppell got 11th in percussion. After their successful showing at Thunder In The Hills and Lonestar drumline contest, I would at least expect them to place top 5. Questionable judging???

imma gonna guess that judge will change 'cause i don't see Lauren Teal yet. or Oak Ridge's former director.

5 minutes ago, Lildrummerdude1 said:

I absolutely can’t believe Coppell got 11th in percussion. After their successful showing at Thunder In The Hills and Lonestar drumline contest, I would at least expect them to place top 5. Questionable judging???

i completely agree, Coppell was breathtaking at tith, like literally mind blowing. i think this is may be an issue in design or even just judges interp, def not with those extremely talented kids and instructional staff. this will def change in finals

11 hours ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

Keller has placed above Waxahachie in 7-judge UIL style contests(DMI and so far state prelims) however Waxahachie placed above Keller in both prelims and finals at Area, a 5-judge system. Interesting. No idea why this happened lol

Having seen all of them, I’m inclined to say it has practically everything to do with the variations in both bands runs and almost nothing to do with the number of judges.

It’s also possible the personal preferences of the different judges played a role, but that bit of dirty laundry is usually kept in the closet.