2022 6A UIL State

Just now, erics said:

Coppell’s perc score went from 2nd/3rd place last year to 11th this year. Not sure why, the program seems to be very good still. 

For having an amazing percussion program the design doesn't have enough exposed percussion passages to really show off their sheer talent. I think to an extent it's the design they were given, they could've demanded more from their percussion and they would have delivered but they played it safer and didn't get to show off as much as other bands.

1 minute ago, MikeKyu said:

I dislike Content and Design as much as I dislike Visual General Effect. Why? The students have no, none, zero, zilch control over this. It becomes a glory spot for the directors and design teams. Are they part of the organization? Absolutely. Should they get a judging slot with such weight? No. 

Probably the captions that have the least impact on me personally, but while they are there, one must play into it indeed haha

Just now, lost said:

For having an amazing percussion program the design doesn't have enough exposed percussion passages to really show off their sheer talent. I think to an extent it's the design they were given, they could've demanded more from their percussion and they would have delivered but they played it safer and didn't get to show off as much as other bands.

yeah that definitely makes sense; i think last year there were more pockets to show off the percussion. it also may just have to do with preference, if i remember correctly the judges aren’t same so they may just not like the way the percussion is shown.

So I got the chance to watch Round Rock, Vandegrift, Dripping Springs, McKinney Boyd, and Cy-Fair while working and I have to say, those performances were really good!!! Vandegrift and McKinney Boyd had my favorites from the part of the block I got to see, but I want to congratulate Round Rock and Vandegrift on making Finals!!!! A huge congratulations to all the bands that advanced on to finals and to those who performed today! Can't wait to watch them perform in Finals tomorrow!

On 11/6/2022 at 11:15 AM, Dallas Hobbs said:
  • Hebron
  • Vandegrfit
  • The Woodlands
  • Flower Mound 
  • Marcus 
  • Vista Ridge
  • Ronald Reagan
  • CTJ
  • Coppell
  • Cedar Ridge
  • Waxahachie 
  • Keller

I had decided to make finals placement predictions for my finalist locks. It seems 1, 2, 6, 9, and 12 were accurate for prelims. 

also my prediction of Marcus in 8th and coppell in 9th at BOA SA finals was inaccurate there but accurate here. *sigh* I’ll get this down someday 

C/D is definitely head scratching. Percussion doesn't seem too far off, especially throughout the top, those programs are all so good that there might be some movement from night to night. Hebron's pit tore from the rest of the band once or twice in prelims so that definitely did not help them. But the scores overall are... interesting...

4 minutes ago, BandFan59 said:

Should be the same, but some will switch captions

The most I can predict is that Nguyen will switch to VI. They're definitely not putting him on music that's for sure. If not that he'll end up in content I think. It's interesting to see him judging here, as he's a big WGI name but never really judges marching.

Just now, snares said:

C/D is definitely head scratching. Percussion doesn't seem too far off, especially throughout the top, those programs are all so good that there might be some movement from night to night. Hebron's pit tore from the rest of the band once or twice in prelims so that definitely did not help them. But the scores overall are... interesting...

Perhaps I’m wrong in saying that Hebron’s percussion scores can’t get a few placements better in finals, going last definitely helps. But yeah, they can’t tear like they did in prelims if they wanna improve that score, they can’t tear. No one else is gonna be doing that in finals

1 minute ago, snares said:

I wish I could judge percussion better. I mostly just know which percussion books I liked more than others 😅.

4 minutes ago, snares said:

interesting in which aspects?

2 minutes ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

Keller has placed above Waxahachie in 7-judge UIL style contests(DMI and so far state prelims) however Waxahachie placed above Keller in both prelims and finals at Area, a 5-judge system. Interesting. No idea why this happened lol

I wouldn’t put too much stock in it. Both bands have pretty much been neck and neck all year, it could go either way

Well, yet another UIL sheet with which I have numerous disagreements. What a surprise. 

Not surprised that Vandy and Hebron tied, and could totally see Vandegrift win tomorrow night. 

The fight for the top 3 spots is going to be awesome tomorrow. I think everyone in the top 6 can absolutely grab a medal, but I also can see Flomo jumping in there as well. 

Really glad to see Vista Ridge getting some music love. Thought they were higher than 5th in ensemble but the brass and woodwind ranks make sense to me.

The jump from 6th to 7th is bigger than I was expecting. I can see the top half fluctuating a bit tomorrow, but I think the gaps in the bottom half are pretty stable.

C/D has it's flaws as a caption, and that was certainly showcased today, but I felt like visual ensemble was especially odd. L.D. Bell ranking 18th there seems low, and I'm not sure about Timber Creek at 35th in that category as well. 

No adjudication system is perfect, but UIL reminds me time after time why I prefer the BOA/DCI points system.