2022 6A UIL State

Just out of curiosity, how are penalties given out at UIL? At BOA since the scoring is numerical obviously it just makes sense to see a 0.1 in the box for things like going to early or stuff during warm-up or the many different penalties a band can get, but does UIL have similar penalties, and if so, how are they scored? In my two decades of watching Texas high schools I've never even thought to consider it.

1 minute ago, snares said:

Just out of curiosity, how are penalties given out at UIL? At BOA since the scoring is numerical obviously it just makes sense to see a 0.1 in the box for things like going to early or stuff during warm-up or the many different penalties a band can get, but does UIL have similar penalties, and if so, how are they scored? In my two decades of watching Texas high schools I've never even thought to consider it.

At the region level, if you get a penalty your grade drops one ordinal for each judge (e.g. Wakeland this year got 2-2-2 due to not finishing their show on time). I'm not sure how it works at the area or state levels, but I'd bet that any penalty that gets violated would constitute disqualification.

27 minutes ago, Samuel Culper said:

A very good draw for Marcus, with UIL being their domain things are looking up for this program. Hebron is looking to close the night off unless there's a surprise result, which is possible. Vista Ridge with a solid draw, but Westlake with an even better one should they push into finals.

Just now, Dallas Hobbs said:

Oh so NFHS called dibs? I was thinking Box5 just doesn’t love us anymore 😩

Yeah, at least that's what I've heard, but we can only hope they don't ever again, especially after the feedback they get. And if for some reason they do, let's up the production and quality is like Flo or Box5