2022 6A UIL State

Man, this is a terrible stream. However from what I could tell, woodlands and Hebron should be pretty close. I think TW has a little more energy to bring that could push them into beating hebron outright. Hebron on the other hand just needs to have a good run. With that show they control their own destiny.

Just now, TXTrumpetGuy said:

Everything about this show is right up my alley, so I have to just sit back and soak it all in. Ever since Skyfall was released I've wanted to see it on a marching band field, and their arrangement is just about everything I could ask for. Would love to see them sneak into the top 3, but I fear all of the GE greatness will not help them as much here.

I was worried about GE as well for the sake of TWHS, as UIL is always just so much different, but man the Woodlands are clean. Visually and musically. It's hard to know who's going to be a medalist this year, I still think it's Hebron's to win just because of how absolutely dominant their music demand is, but who knows. I bet prelims results will differ dramatically from finals.

5 minutes ago, snares said:

I was worried about GE as well for the sake of TWHS, as UIL is always just so much different, but man the Woodlands are clean. Visually and musically. It's hard to know who's going to be a medalist this year, I still think it's Hebron's to win just because of how absolutely dominant their music demand is, but who knows. I bet prelims results will differ dramatically from finals.

Agree about Hebron. The Woodlands execution is quite excellent, I'm just not sure the content judges are going to reward them on the same level as Hebron, Vandy, Reagan, etc. I'm curious to see how the rankings turn out for prelims, but I can definitely see some things shifting tomorrow night!

1 minute ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

My band OCD won’t allow me to sit anywhere except high up and directly on the 50 yard line😭🤣

I feel you...my partner and I basically sit on the same row and same seats be it for dci/boa/uil in the alamodome. Getting blasted with sound on the front center 50 is always a treat, I can watch drill from the screens or watch the uploads later. 

1 minute ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

My band OCD won’t allow me to sit anywhere except high up and directly on the 50 yard line😭🤣

I didn't realize how good of a spot it is until I went to a contest for the first time in almost 3 years. Because when I was in band, we usually were sitting at the end corners somewhere, like when I competed at Mansfield Contest in 2015, Little Elm in 2017, Area in 2018, and At state in 2018 when we watched Canton perform in Finals. But Now I truly understand why that section is "the best seat in the house"

11 minutes ago, Dave609 said:

I didn't realize how good of a spot it is until I went to a contest for the first time in almost 3 years. Because when I was in band, we usually were sitting at the end corners somewhere, like when I competed at Mansfield Contest in 2015, Little Elm in 2017, Area in 2018, and At state in 2018 when we watched Canton perform in Finals. But Now I truly understand why that section is "the best seat in the house"

Yes! The difference between sitting on the side and sitting in the middle is so apparent. Because this activity focuses so much on sound, the physics of it all can really make a difference. 

Also does anyone that has watched shows upstairs in the Alamodome feel like the bands don’t sound as loud/intense as watching them outdoors?  

5 minutes ago, Vidal28 said:

Trying to predict who wins and medals this event is even more of a fool’s errand than BOASA tbh😂 that’s just UIL for you

I won’t give up on figuring out how to accurately predict placements!😩 Imma master this at some point! I’m learning that I have to consider a performance in its entirety and not place a band based on one particular quality. And I’m trying to figure out the different judging styles between prelims and finals. Sometimes I’ll inaccurately place a band in prelims but that placement would’ve been accurate if it were finals or vice versa. 

2 hours ago, FEDude said:

I'd say somewhere along the top 15-30 the bands would stop making GN semis.

Hooo boy, for me it’s definitely on the lower end of that range. The bands in the bubble here(15-20) would make Grand Nats semis with relative ease, it would get more debatable as you go down. Even if you did a top 35 of this competition, you would have to take into account the automatic class qualification spots for all classes that take up spots in Semis as well. I forget exactly how many of those there are though

3 minutes ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

I won’t give up on figuring out how to accurately predict placements!😩 Imma master this at some point! I’m learning that I have to consider a performance in its entirety and not place a band based on one particular quality. And I’m trying to figure out the different judging styles between prelims and finals. Sometimes I’ll inaccurately place a band in prelims but that placement would’ve been accurate if it were finals or vice versa. 

I usually tend to sit a bit closer, but also within either 40 yard line. I like being up close and personal🔥🔥

4 minutes ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

Yes! The difference between sitting on the side and sitting in the middle is so apparent. Because this activity focuses so much on sound, the physics of it all can really make a difference. 

Also does anyone that has watched shows upstairs in the Alamodome feel like the bands don’t sound as loud/intense as watching them outdoors?  

Maybe a little, but it depends on the band. Also think that they are trying to project to the press box, and you are sitting above it while very few high school outdoor stadiums have seats higher than the press box. I've sat in the lower level, press box, and top level at the Alamodome. Press box is best, but the lower level seats right up against it are awesome too!

5 minutes ago, Vidal28 said:

Hooo boy, for me it’s definitely on the lower end of that range. The bands in the bubble here(15-20) would make Grand Nats semis with relative ease, it would get more debatable as you go down. Even if you did a top 35 of this competition, you would have to take into account the automatic class qualification spots for all classes that take up spots in Semis as well. I forget exactly how many of those there are though

Auto qualifiers do not take any of the spots in semifinals. The top 30 scores advance to semifinals. The qualifiers add to that number. So it is theoretically possible that the top 30 are all from say class A. Then there would be 4 qualifiers from each of the other 3 classes filling semifinals up to 42 bands. They'd be starting at ~0500 in the morning to get through all of them.

7 minutes ago, TWHSParent said:

Auto qualifiers do not take any of the spots in semifinals. The top 30 scores advance to semifinals. The qualifiers add to that number. So it is theoretically possible that the top 30 are all from say class A. Then there would be 4 qualifiers from each of the other 3 classes filling semifinals up to 42 bands. They'd be starting at ~0500 in the morning to get through all of them.

Now that I’ve seen and looked at results from previous years, it makes a lot more sense in my head now haha

Even though I have to get off now :(, I will say I really enjoyed the performances that I did get to watch today!

Hebron, The Woodlands, Midland, John B. Alexander, Brownsville Hanna, Westlake, and Waxahachie gave really good performances and I can't wait to see who will advance on! Also can't wait to watch Finals tomorrow and see who gets crowned as the 2022 UIL Conference 6A State Marching Champion!