2022 6A UIL State

Just now, Dallas Hobbs said:

Omg I just realized they did a “bassoon box” thing again! Similar to 2014. And yes I was giddy about both because I played bassoon in high school 👀🤣

It's a nice touch every year - I believe there was also a choir that emerged from an egg in the closer at one point a few years ago as well...

1 minute ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

this year it’s similar to BOA. I’ll admit it’s weird hearing “the UIL is proud to present”

When I first heard "The UIL is proud to present" I thought maybe it was just a mistake in the script...I can't imagine being at BOA and hearing "The BOA is proud to present". I'd rather have The University Interscholastic League...

1 hour ago, FormerWildcat said:

As far as the stream is concerned, two main factors need to be considered.

1. How much does the recording equipment cost?

2. How much does the labor running the equipment cost?

Camcorders start at around $100, with "professional level" camcorders going for around $1,500. Soundboards start at around $50, with the top-of-the-line selling for about $1,000. Overall, a professional recording setup consisting of all brand-new components and field microphones could cost tens of thousands of dollars, but you could theoretically have a reasonably good recoding setup for under $1,000.

Let's say, for instance, you have two camera operators, one audio tech, and one visual tech. I'll assume that all four employees get paid $15/hour. Assuming that they're on the clock for 50 hours during the duration of the state contest, the cost of labor to run the competition is $3,000.

I have no idea of the viewership numbers for the state contest, but I'll throw out that 1,000 parties decide to fork out the $5.99/month fee to watch. You'd receive a revenue of around $6,000, for a profit of $2,000. This is of course assuming that the equipment has never been used by the recording company and will never be used again.

The factor that could be a wild card is the cost to actually stream the contest. I'm assuming the costs of transmitting it over the internet are negligible and mainly fall on the consumers, but the cost to build an interface (or, at the very least, the cost to license an existing interface) could be fairly significant. 

My analysis could be completely off, and I'm excluding certain factors (mainly taxes). Still, it would be interesting to know if these streaming services (TXHSFB, Box5, FloMarching) are actually profitable. 

“As far as the stream is concerned, two main factors need to be considered.”

If only it was that easy to do it well.

“2. How much does the labor running the equipment cost?”

“Let's say, for instance, you have two camera operators, one audio tech, and one visual tech. I'll assume that all four employees get paid $15/hour. Assuming that they're on the clock for 50 hours during the duration of the state contest, the cost of labor to run the competition is $3,000.”

This isn’t a part-time McDonalds drive-thru skill level job.

“The factor that could be a wild card is the cost to actually stream the contest.”

Yes, the cost of hosting and live streaming of a feed this large is significant.

“My analysis could be completely off…”

I think you probably got that part correct, but don’t let me discourage you. I love watching budding entrepreneurs explore their business ideas and make a pitch. It’s a skill that requires practice and generally has a steep learning curve. The first, and hardest, step is getting the nerve to publicly tell somebody about your idea. My brother runs a podcast about startup businesses and how to attract Angel Investors. It’s one of several he runs as part of his successful Executive Consulting business. I’m sure he would tell you, “Spiral out! Keep going.”

8 minutes ago, TXTrumpetGuy said:

Keller: The bicycle set is one of the best drill moments of the year for me. The music in the opener is HARD and they are playing it really, really well. They may have my favorite ballad of the year too. Still don't think we've seen Keller at their peak yet this season, but I have a feeling we will tomorrow!

Fun fact: Keller’s ballad was originally Dream On by Aerosmith but they had to change it due to copyright. I’m assuming the structure of the ballad was the same and just adapted for Sweet Dreams. I would’ve loved to see hear what Dream On would’ve sounded like but I absolutely love their current ballad too.

1 minute ago, RoseGoldRevival said:

When I first heard "The UIL is proud to present" I thought maybe it was just a mistake in the script...I can't imagine being at BOA and hearing "The BOA is proud to present". I'd rather have The University Interscholastic League...

I was thinking the same thing. The “the” (lol) article makes it sound…awkward imo. And I’d also rather them say the full name of UIL. Sounds more official lol

1 minute ago, josephbandfan said:

Fun fact: Keller’s ballad was originally Dream On by Aerosmith but they had to change it due to copyright. I’m assuming the structure of the ballad was the same and just adapted for Sweet Dreams. I would’ve loved to see hear what Dream On would’ve sounded like but I absolutely love their current ballad too.

So THAT'S what happened to Dream On! I thought I remembered it in the show reveal and was confused why that wasn't in it when I saw them earlier this season. Interesting!

3 minutes ago, josephbandfan said:

Both are excellent musical choices - I feel like Sweet Dreams fits so well but I can absolutely imagine Dream On being an incredible moment. I wish we got to see that, but I definitely have no complaints with the music that made it onto the field.

6 minutes ago, BandFan59 said:

The original post has the judges listed for this contest. Several of the judges are also BOA and DCI judges, so some of the names may be familiar.

Been forever since I've been on P1 of this thread. Yeah, a few may be familiar. Then the first two names listed are Crotts and Carlson. This contest is in good hands.  

7 minutes ago, Vidal28 said:

I would happen to disagree. Aside from Cedar Park, everyone that made finals at BOASA is present here at the contest. And that finals is generally seen as being more competitive than Grand nats finals, even with the likes of ABC, WM, and tarpon often being in attendance. I think the depth of bands here is deeper as well when you get outside of finals imo. I don’t base the strength of a competition from the strongest groups, especially when there’s an equivalent 12-14 top national groups attending this contest, compared to the 7 or so that make up the top half of a GN finals. There isn’t much of a dropoff when you compare the top halves of each contest from each other, versus when you compare the bottom half of each one. Along with SL Carroll and Prosper barely missing out on state in their respective Area competitions when they are potential grand nats finalists this year in their own right. Just some of my opinions on the matter

Agreed, top to bottom, SASR and SMBC are at least GN Semis difficulty. With regard to the top level bands, you can find equivalents in TX. Hebron, Woodlands, Reagan, FloMo, CTJ occupy the same top spots that BA, Carmel, Avon, Tarpon, etc occupy. 

When you apply that logic, and then factor in that many bands miss Finals in SA, only to comfortably make GN Finals a week later, you can absolutely say that SASR/SMBC = GN. 

JET and Hebron are the first shows so far that I've actually been able to watch, and I kinda thought that maybe the recording quality and sound quality wouldn't be as bad as people were saying it was, but my goodness. It's night and day worse than BOA on Saturday. Sounds like Hebron had some timing issues in the opener but the sound quality is just so bad that I couldn't even tell. Not only that but the picture quality is so bad that I can't even see the drum major's legs! So frustrating.

Just now, snares said:

JET and Hebron are the first shows so far that I've actually been able to watch, and I kinda thought that maybe the recording quality and sound quality wouldn't be as bad as people were saying it was, but my goodness. It's night and day worse than BOA on Saturday. Sounds like Hebron had some timing issues in the opener but the sound quality is just so bad that I couldn't even tell. Not only that but the picture quality is so bad that I can't even see the drum major's legs! So frustrating.

I’m bummed out about missing out watching the performances, but when I heard that the streaming provider was changed, I automatically went “nope” in my head. Didn’t wanna pay for another service and the headache that I thought it could potentially cause👀

Just now, RoseGoldRevival said:

I hate to sound like a broken record but I wish there was more focus on high cam shots :') as a routine front 50 spectator it's the only thing that allows me to see the full picture.

Our BOA SA champ showing up and showing out, excited to see woodlands again too. 

I definitely understand that fully! I attended Area C and got the opportunity to see Hebron perform from the top and at the 50, and it was really good!

I promise I'll stop complaining about it after this, but the mic placement is just off as well. Watching both Hebron and TWHS back to back, the energy they both created at BOASA just is not at all being captured from where they have the microphones. The brass sounds like they're at the back of the field the whole time and the pit sections have been really loud for both bands. Don't know if it's just me. But I just desperately hope that they fix it or adjust it for finals tomorrow, but I know they probably won't. I always look forward to the State Finals videos to be put up on Youtube because that's where the bands are at their best and Box5 did a good job of providing a professional recording of the last competitive performances that most of these bands put out, but it's just so much different with this broadcast. This year I think we're going to get better recordings from band parent's iPhones than the actual recording company. 

7 minutes ago, Dave609 said:

I was not prepared for the first hit from The Woodlands. It made me jump XD

Everything about this show is right up my alley, so I have to just sit back and soak it all in. Ever since Skyfall was released I've wanted to see it on a marching band field, and their arrangement is just about everything I could ask for. Would love to see them sneak into the top 3, but I fear all of the GE greatness will not help them as much here.