2022 6A UIL State

Won’t be watching the shows live so here are My pre-contest predictions. I will make finals placement predictions after finalists are announced as well. 

Locks for finals placements predictions when they get to finals:

1. Hebron
  2. Vandegrfit
  3. The Woodlands
  4. Flower Mound 
  5. Marcus 
  6. Vista Ridge
  7. Ronald Reagan
  8. CTJ
  9. Coppell
  10. Cedar Ridge
  11. Waxahachie 
  12. Keller

Finalist Bubble( in no particular order):

Pearland

Timber Creek

LD Bell

Round Rock

Cy-Fair

Wylie

Westlake

I learned at BOA I have to evaluate shows in their entirety as opposed to just one aspect of it. Same thing here for UIL. Some of the shows I placed based on one specific quality, and that matched their ranking in a particular caption or sub-caption(either in prelims and/or finals), but not for overall placement because I didn’t consider the other qualities it had(*cough* vista ridge and Marcus *cough*🙈)

Or I’ll place bands inaccurately in prelims but accurately if it were finals, or vice versa. I haven’t mastered this yet 🙈

Edited by Dallas Hobbs

1 hour ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

Won’t be watching the shows live so here are My pre-contest predictions. I may update my finalist bubble as I study the shows of the bands who advanced. And I may make prelims/finals placement predictions later on too. For now, in no particular order: 

Locks for finals:

Hebron

Vandegrfit

Flower Mound

Ronald Reagan 

Marcus 

The Woodlands

Vista Ridge

CTJ

Keller

Waxahachie

Coppell

Finalist Bubble:

Pearland

LD Bell

Timber Creek

Round Rock

Cy-Fair

Duncanville

Wylie

Im gonna root for Vista Ridge for top half since that is my penance for predicting them to be in 8th at BOA SA finals🙈 I put Marcus above them at that contest because I was more impressed with their performance skills. And their performance scores in prelims reflected that, however it was GE and overall quality of show design that made the difference for Vista to be above Marcus in prelims and finals. I learned in BOA I have to evaluate shows in their entirety as opposed to just one aspect of it. Some of the shows I placed based on one specific quality, and that matched their ranking in a particular sub-caption, but I didn’t consider the other qualities it had. 

Also I have this habit of placing bands inaccurately in prelims but accurately if it were finals, or vice versa. I haven’t mastered this yet 🙈

i would also put westlake and dripping springs in the bubble

1 hour ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

Won’t be watching the shows live so here are My pre-contest predictions. I may update my finalist bubble as I study the shows of the bands who advanced. And I may make prelims/finals placement predictions later on too. For now, in no particular order: 

Locks for finals:

Hebron

Vandegrfit

Flower Mound

Ronald Reagan 

Marcus 

The Woodlands

Vista Ridge

CTJ

Keller

Waxahachie

Coppell

Finalist Bubble:

Pearland

LD Bell

Timber Creek

Round Rock

Cy-Fair

Duncanville

Wylie

That is a lot of bubblers for one spot in Finals. 😮

A day before state, here's my final predictions:

1. Hebron
  2. Flower Mound
  3. Vista Ridge
  4. Ronald Reagan
  5. Vandegrift
  6. The Woodlands
  7. Claudia Taylor Johnson
  8. Coppell
  9. Cedar Ridge
  10. Marcus
  11. Keller
  12. Round Rock
  13. Pearland
  14. Timber Creek

While I think all the 6A bands that made finals at San Antonio will make finals here, I think the placings will shift around quite a bit. Flower Mound's cleanliness should benefit them here and they've a history of excelling at UIL. Similarly I think Vista Ridge will grab a medal as they sound absolutely phenomenal and will benefit from UIL's music judging with individual subcaptions. 4-10 were quite difficult for me to order, as all of the bands there have had varying levels of success in UIL and I could see the order shifting substantially. After that even though BOA and UIL judging are not exactly the same I think it's a safe bet that the other bands that made San Antonio finals will also make state finals given the point gap between the finalist and non-finalist bands. As for the last band I really liked Timber Creek's performance at San Antonio and think they may finally make it into state finals.

The DFW groups have historically done better at UIL than BOA.  That includes LISD north, the Keller schools, Coppell, Waxahachie, Wylie, and Duncanville who will be competing at state this year.  I'm not sure in every case that will be true, but overall I think we will see another DFW area school in finals.

6 minutes ago, BandFan59 said:

A day before state, here's my final predictions:

1. Hebron
  2. Flower Mound
  3. Vista Ridge
  4. Ronald Reagan
  5. Vandegrift
  6. The Woodlands
  7. Claudia Taylor Johnson
  8. Coppell
  9. Cedar Ridge
  10. Marcus
  11. Keller
  12. Round Rock
  13. Pearland
  14. Timber Creek

While I think all the 6A bands that made finals at San Antonio will make finals here, I think the placings will shift around quite a bit. Flower Mound's cleanliness should benefit them here and they've a history of excelling at UIL. Similarly I think Vista Ridge will grab a medal as they sound absolutely phenomenal and will benefit from UIL's music judging with individual subcaptions. 4-10 were quite difficult for me to order, as all of the bands there have had varying levels of success in UIL and I could see the order shifting substantially. After that even though BOA and UIL judging are not exactly the same I think it's a safe bet that the other bands that made San Antonio finals will also make state finals given the point gap between the finalist and non-finalist bands. As for the last band I really liked Timber Creek's performance at San Antonio and think they may finally make it into state finals.

Just curious where you think Waxahachie will place since they beat Keller and Timber Creek at area

2 minutes ago, QuicheBoard said:

Just curious where you think Waxahachie will place since they beat Keller and Timber Creek at area

I was actually debating between Waxahachie and Timber Creek for that final spot. I think Keller and Timber Creek are both peaking at the right time but I won't be surprised if Waxahachie gets in finals either.

28 minutes ago, bandboi said:

I agree with most of what you said except for the Timber Creek part. I believe their show is extremely UIL as shown by BOA DFW and then later at Area B. Keller also placed higher than them in BOA but was beaten out by them in Area.

yea i will agree the bands i see taking the last 3 spots at finals are waxahatchie, timber creek, and dripping springs 

13 minutes ago, BandDad4 said:

I'm really concerned about the weather again impacting those early slots. How does UIL state handle things like this? Can't have bands getting soaked or props. 

There are large conference rooms under the Alamodome for bands to warm up in. As for props it's a little trickier, there is an unloading dock connected to the tunnels that's covered but it's not very big so UIL or the bands will have to try and adjust for the rain with their props.

1 minute ago, BandFan59 said:

There are large conference rooms under the Alamodome for bands to warm up in. As for props it's a little trickier, there is an unloading dock connected to the tunnels that's covered but it's not very big so UIL or the bands will have to try and adjust for the rain with their props.

The battery practices outside 

28 minutes ago, urmom292 said:

yea i see what you mean it’s just that there placement at boa san antonio kinda threw me off

Really? Being 3 out of finals is not surprising to me at all. I think they could have been in finals but 2 groups that were ahead were 5A and Bowie isn’t even going to state, so if this has been state they would have made finals. If they have another great run, I’d be surprised if they don’t make finals.

2 hours ago, urmom292 said:

marcus (idk about them because of boa san antonio)

I am fairly confident Marcus will be a finalist. Although SA was a shocker, Marcus has long been a band that does better in UIL. Translation between the two is sometimes hard since they weigh different components significantly different.

1 hour ago, Tubalord11 said:

Really? Being 3 out of finals is not surprising to me at all. I think they could have been in finals but 2 groups that were ahead were 5A and Bowie isn’t even going to state, so if this has been state they would have made finals. If they have another great run, I’d be surprised if they don’t make finals.

i meant that i thought they do better in boa not uil so i was surprised to see them that high at boa SA cause people were saying that they were better at uil

1 hour ago, peshbandkid said:

I am fairly confident Marcus will be a finalist. Although SA was a shocker, Marcus has long been a band that does better in UIL. Translation between the two is sometimes hard since they weigh different components significantly different.

I literally might cry if Marcus doesn’t make Finals. I literally cannot imagine a State Finals without them. As others have mentioned, LISD schools have always done incredibly well at state compared to BOA, so I think they’ll make, but still.