2022 6A UIL State

19 hours ago, spacewill said:

Agree.  It will be to BOAs best interest to try and work within the Texas UIL schedule.  It is only better when Texas bands attend GN and/or if they just admit that SA Super Regional is a big deal and add a semi's.

I think BOA should just move Grand Nationals to Dallas!  I know it will never happen but I can't let my dream die.  Lets see how well those Indy bands do when stacked up with all of Texas' finest!

Gonna go crazy and post a probably inaccurate prediction lol

hebron

vandy

marcus

reagan

flo mo

ctj

cedar ridge

vista ridge

woodlands

coppell

waxahachie

round rock

ld bell

pearland

like I said, I don’t expect this to be right (knowing UIL) I think pearland and Ld Bell will make it solely because of content and design as well as visual proficiency.  

Bell’s drums as wells as winds scores will probably not look too great but their color guard, visual and ge scores will be pretty good I think. 

I think Waxahachie could place better than where i’ve put them, they were very good at area and their show has grown on me quite a lot.

Woodlands is a wild card for me, they haven’t been to the state contest since they’ve switched over to their jazzy style so I’m not sure how much the uil judges will like it. (Last year was a banger tho) Their director change has also seemed to do a number on them. Oh well, I still look forward to seeing them tbh!

Vista ridge is also a wild card for me, they did this thing, this thing where they won area over vandegrift. But the thing is, they did this last year and when we got to state vandy beat them by almost 10 places. I know this years band and show is much better which is why I have them higher then last year but who knows. This show is dangerous, it’s very well put together and I could very well see it doing better.

Im not sure if Marcus will medal this year but knowing their past reputation with UIL i’ve got ‘em in 3rd. I don’t think their show this year is as good put together as last year and has rather bland and dull moments, but that brass can PLAY. 

Ok, and we know Hebron wins nothing else to add lol

Now about the bubble, KINDA forgot to post about the bubble

I watched dripping springs area finals run and they are CLEAN I will not be surprised if they place just right outside of finals or even snatching a bottom spot. 

I’ve heard good things about Wylie this year and they placed well at area so I could see them being just right on the outside.

Same with Wylie East, a 5a last year and now a 6a. Still qualified for state no problem however. They were pretty freakin good at prosper.

Timber creek, oh man you talk about a program that has grown in skill. With Highland park’s former director they played really in the uil circuit at area this year with their 3rd place finish. As a bell alum and someone that’s competed against them numerous times, i’m real proud of that program for rising as much as they have.

Duncanville has also got some potential in their show, but also a lot of dirt. They’ve got a killer show and just such a great sound tho. I could see them placing anywhere from outside of finals or maybe even lower than that i’m not sure however.

Westlake is having their best year I think in the school’s history. I won’t be surprised if they make it with relative ease and I won’t be surprised if they miss at the same time. Their show is killer and they’ve got a great sound. Hopefully they’ve grown a lot since I saw them at prosper.

Keller, I don’t even know what to say about them tbh. I really did not think they were all that great at area, they’re struggling much more this time of year than years past. However the judges at area seemed to really like them so I won’t be surprised if they can snatch a spot here as well.

This year will be my first year attending state as a spectator so i’m really excited to see how it all plays out!

22 minutes ago, bchorn said:

I think BOA should just move Grand Nationals to Dallas!  I know it will never happen but I can't let my dream die.  Lets see how well those Indy bands do when stacked up with all of Texas' finest!

Agree. Not to mention, JerryWorld could accommodate the volume. 

1 hour ago, cjm715 said:

Gonna go crazy and post a probably inaccurate prediction lol

hebron

vandy

marcus

reagan

flo mo

ctj

cedar ridge

vista ridge

woodlands

coppell

waxahachie

round rock

ld bell

pearland

like I said, I don’t expect this to be right (knowing UIL) I think pearland and Ld Bell will make it solely because of content and design as well as visual proficiency.  

Bell’s drums as wells as winds scores will probably not look too great but their color guard, visual and ge scores will be pretty good I think. 

I think Waxahachie could place better than where i’ve put them, they were very good at area and their show has grown on me quite a lot.

Woodlands is a wild card for me, they haven’t been to the state contest since they’ve switched over to their jazzy style so I’m not sure how much the uil judges will like it. (Last year was a banger tho) Their director change has also seemed to do a number on them. Oh well, I still look forward to seeing them tbh!

Vista ridge is also a wild card for me, they did this thing, this thing where they won area over vandegrift. But the thing is, they did this last year and when we got to state vandy beat them by almost 10 places. I know this years band and show is much better which is why I have them higher then last year but who knows. This show is dangerous, it’s very well put together and I could very well see it doing better.

Im not sure if Marcus will medal this year but knowing their past reputation with UIL i’ve got ‘em in 3rd. I don’t think their show this year is as good put together as last year and has rather bland and dull moments, but that brass can PLAY. 

Ok, and we know Hebron wins nothing else to add lol

Now about the bubble, KINDA forgot to post about the bubble

I watched dripping springs area finals run and they are CLEAN I will not be surprised if they place just right outside of finals or even snatching a bottom spot. 

I’ve heard good things about Wylie this year and they placed well at area so I could see them being just right on the outside.

Same with Wylie East, a 5a last year and now a 6a. Still qualified for state no problem however. They were pretty freakin good at prosper.

Timber creek, oh man you talk about a program that has grown in skill. With Highland park’s former director they played really in the uil circuit at area this year with their 3rd place finish. As a bell alum and someone that’s competed against them numerous times, i’m real proud of that program for rising as much as they have.

Duncanville has also got some potential in their show, but also a lot of dirt. They’ve got a killer show and just such a great sound tho. I could see them placing anywhere from outside of finals or maybe even lower than that i’m not sure however.

Westlake is having their best year I think in the school’s history. I won’t be surprised if they make it with relative ease and I won’t be surprised if they miss at the same time. Their show is killer and they’ve got a great sound. Hopefully they’ve grown a lot since I saw them at prosper.

Keller, I don’t even know what to say about them tbh. I really did not think they were all that great at area, they’re struggling much more this time of year than years past. However the judges at area seemed to really like them so I won’t be surprised if they can snatch a spot here as well.

This year will be my first year attending state as a spectator so i’m really excited to see how it all plays out!

me personally i feel like round rock won’t make it into finals or they will be near the bottom of finals this year from just looking at the area scores. also dripping springs beat them by a good bit in prelims at area so i could see drip pulling ahead of them and getting a spot in finals. but we will see on monday

43 minutes ago, urmom292 said:

me personally i feel like round rock won’t make it into finals or they will be near the bottom of finals this year from just looking at the area scores. also dripping springs beat them by a good bit in prelims at area so i could see drip pulling ahead of them and getting a spot in finals. but we will see on monday

I would hardly use area scores as an indicator for SA. Just last season Vista Ridge beat Vandegrift at area and then they swapped at San Antonio.

Same with a few bands last year swapping placements. It happens. Area is kind of weird and wonky all the time. 

1 hour ago, urmom292 said:

valid. I like round rock’s rite of spring bit a lot as well as their ballad but the rest of the show is okay. I think they’ll do better than years past for sure

2 minutes ago, Samuel Culper said:

I've seen so many references to Vista Ridge/Vandegrift at Area vs State last year as if it's almost a given that the same thing will happen this year.

Two points:

1 - Vista beat Vandy at Area in 2018 as well, also after finishing behind them at BOA Austin.  We know how that year turned out.

2 - Vista's show this year is much stronger than last year. I think that it pretty clear.

I'm not making any promises as to what will happen, that Vista will beat Vandy at either BOASA or State. But I am saying that they are a good horse to bet on to surpass most people's expectations. 

Yeah, I think a lot of people (maybe including myself) are doubting vista because of last year. But their show this year is so much stronger as is their band so I don’t think things will turn out the same at all as last year. 

6 hours ago, bchorn said:

That would be cool but it seems the consensus is that people don’t like the acoustics. I’ve performed in the AT&T stadium before and I loved how big it was cuz I have a thing for large crowds in large stadiums😩🤣

In my experience the alamodome has this effect of making you feel like you’re marching on an island; the structure seems to just absorb everyone else’s sound and you’re left playing a solo basically. I never found the echo bad at all. On the other hand, AT&T has both the island effect as well as a terribly distracting echo.

4 hours ago, cjm715 said:

valid. I like round rock’s rite of spring bit a lot as well as their ballad but the rest of the show is okay. I think they’ll do better than years past for sure

i think round rock will do well at the boa SA super regional but idk about them at state with uil judging. they probably could make finals at state i just don’t know how high they would place. i do enjoy their show but it does lean heavily towards the boa scoring system and not uil

i know that anything could happen at state but these are my predictions of the finalist bands  NOT THE PLACEMENTS

hebron

flomo

vandy

vista

cedar ridge

ctj

reagan

marcus

dripping spring 

round rock

waxahachie (idk how to spell it)

woodlands

westlake

coppell

bubble for finals

pearland

seven lakes

ld bell

lake travis

cy-fair

i could see all these groups making finals and the only placement prediction is hebron getting 1st

1 hour ago, bchorn said:

I honestly don't care about the acoustics. I'm tired of those Indianapolis schools having the luxury every year of participating in grand nationals while sleeping in their own beds and racking up all these finishes in finals. Let's see those schools start paying for trips to DFW and having to compete with the big boys of Texas.

Agree, this is where my frustration comes in.  We keep hearing that GN is national and has bands from all over the country, only it's not and it doesn't.  It's mostly east / central and caters to bands within 8 hours.  For Texas bands who have at least a 2 day truck trip with props it's just not seemingly inclusive.  I also don't care about tradition of this is where they've done it forever.  Either it's truly an inclusive national event or it's not.  Plus, we mostly all agree BOA SA is a way tougher competition than GN the last few years.

1 hour ago, urmom292 said:

i know that anything could happen at state but these are my predictions of the finalist bands  NOT THE PLACEMENTS

hebron

flomo

vandy

vista

cedar ridge

ctj

reagan

marcus

dripping spring 

round rock

waxahachie (idk how to spell it)

woodlands

westlake

coppell

bubble for finals

pearland

seven lakes

ld bell

lake travis

cy-fair

i could see all these groups making finals and the only placement prediction is hebron getting 1st

Don’t forget about Timber Creek! I have them making finals personally and I think them over Dripping Springs