2022 6A UIL State

1 hour ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

How so? Do the school districts get paid more if bands participate in UIL? Who gets money for what?

This is a very specific example, but schools winning the Lone Star Cup receive $1,000.

https://www.uiltexas.org/lone-star-cup

It does account for academic and athletic competitions in addition to music, so you see some schools that aren't known for their bands (5A Corpus Christi Flour Bluff, for example, is one that I believe is very strong in academics.) I'm sure there are more reasons, but the Lone Star Cup is probably one of the reasons why districts and schools are keen on UIL.

3 hours ago, LeanderMomma said:

Flower Mound sadly skipped BOA SA last year. My first time seeing them live was at GN. 

I’m actually glad that they didn’t do both contests, controversial I know.

Doing both contests is just too much for the marchers, it’s already exhausting enough.

I don’t think it’s an accident that the two highest placing bands at GN skipped 1 of the 2 contests. Feedback is important, but so is rest.

For smaller bands 1A/2A/3A having state every year is a boon. There is no way these bands can really compete on the BOA stage, but having the state opportunity every year is a fantastic thing for those programs. Even for those 4A/5A/6A bands that don't have the money to compete with the BOA big boys this is also great news. I know I know people hate hearing the term money, but it plays a role if you like it or not.

1 hour ago, BandDad4 said:

For smaller bands 1A/2A/3A having state every year is a boon. There is no way these bands can really compete on the BOA stage, but having the state opportunity every year is a fantastic thing for those programs. Even for those 4A/5A/6A bands that don't have the money to compete with the BOA big boys this is also great news. I know I know people hate hearing the term money, but it plays a role if you like it or not.

Exactly. This was really driven by those programs who are small or simply don't have the budget to put on huge productions. 

11 hours ago, celesta said:

This is a very specific example, but schools winning the Lone Star Cup receive $1,000.

https://www.uiltexas.org/lone-star-cup

It does account for academic and athletic competitions in addition to music, so you see some schools that aren't known for their bands (5A Corpus Christi Flour Bluff, for example, is one that I believe is very strong in academics.) I'm sure there are more reasons, but the Lone Star Cup is probably one of the reasons why districts and schools are keen on UIL.

Oh I see. So schools’ competitive programs that compete at state level contests earn points towards the Lone star cup. I saw that Hebron high school won 14 points towards their score for winning state. When the state marching contest was a biennial event, schools missed out on earning points for this activity. 

Honestly, I'm a little disappointed by the switch to every year state marching contests by 5A/6A schools.  I think it makes total sense for the 1A-4A to go to every year but the big schools that like to factor in out of state marching contests this will be a blow.  Just look at how few of TX bands are going to Grand Nationals this year due to it being a state marching contest year for them.   So yeah, it's great there will be more opportunities for 5A/6A schools to advance to state...but it'll be disappointing to see fewer bands going to Grand Nationals.

9 minutes ago, bchorn said:

Honestly, I'm a little disappointed by the switch to every year state marching contests by 5A/6A schools.  I think it makes total sense for the 1A-4A to go to every year but the big schools that like to factor in out of state marching contests this will be a blow.  Just look at how few of TX bands are going to Grand Nationals this year due to it being a state marching contest year for them.   So yeah, it's great there will be more opportunities for 5A/6A schools to advance to state...but it'll be disappointing to see fewer bands going to Grand Nationals.

(7) 6A Programs went to GN's last year, which was a 6A State year for them.

21 hours ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

I watched @Danpod YouTube vid about the new UIL Legislations(love his channel btw!) and they’ve decided to make state annual for all conferences because the superintendents wanted that. Anyone know why the superintendents wanted this? And what are your thoughts on the decision?

I came here to ask a question about this. When will this be implemented? 

1 hour ago, Bandmanio said:

(7) 6A Programs went to GN's last year, which was a 6A State year for them.

It wasn't originally though.  So when you choose to go to GN you do so ahead of time and prep your show in advance.  When they made an exception last year to also have 6A state due to COVID it probably put a small kink in some of the bands plans.   It's absolutely hard as heck for bands to compete on Friday/Saturday then Monday/Tuesday and then Thur thru Saturday.  One of them has to give and most will give up GN due to costs.  

Just now, Will22 said:

I came here to ask a question about this. When will this be implemented? 

Starting next year 2023.  Still needs a final vote but no one thinks that will fail.

30 minutes ago, BandDad4 said:

I think we need to stop framing UIL State every year with the concern of who or who does not go to Grand Nats. UIL State every year has many advantages for hundreds of programs over the 6-7 possible bands that may go to GN. If BOA particpation drops, then they will either have to make changes or move the date to accomdate. Texas is in its own category when it comes to marching band compared to the rest of the country and SA particpation is a prime example. I think we can all agree that it needs a semi and is the only one that is probably more competitive than GN

Agree.  It will be to BOAs best interest to try and work within the Texas UIL schedule.  It is only better when Texas bands attend GN and/or if they just admit that SA Super Regional is a big deal and add a semi's.

4 minutes ago, spacewill said:

It wasn't originally though.  So when you choose to go to GN you do so ahead of time and prep your show in advance.  When they made an exception last year to also have 6A state due to COVID it probably put a small kink in some of the bands plans.   It's absolutely hard as heck for bands to compete on Friday/Saturday then Monday/Tuesday and then Thur thru Saturday.  One of them has to give and most will give up GN due to costs.  

Starting next year 2023.  Still needs a final vote but no one thinks that will fail.

Do you have a link or evidence on this topic? 

9 minutes ago, Will22 said:

Do you have a link or evidence on this topic? 

Evidence?  demanding much?

3 minutes ago, celesta said:

https://www.uiltexas.org/files/policy/October-2022-Legislative-Council-Packet.pdf

Take a look at page 10.

If you don't feel like reading:

• the new policy is pending approval by the Commissioner of Education.
  • May start in 2023-2024 or 2024-2025, depends on logistics

Thanks Celesta.  I had lost the link.  I think everyone I have talked to, including our band directors are under the impression (unless told otherwise) that this will start next year.  I don't know if I've heard anyone (even on forums) believe it won't. At least for 6A.  Remember, they had zero issues cramming in a 6A competition last year when it wasn't scheduled.  

19 minutes ago, spacewill said:

Evidence?  demanding much?

Thanks Celesta.  I had lost the link.  I think everyone I have talked to, including our band directors are under the impression (unless told otherwise) that this will start next year.  I don't know if I've heard anyone (even on forums) believe it won't. At least for 6A.  Remember, they had zero issues cramming in a 6A competition last year when it wasn't scheduled.  

If that’s what you want to call it. I couldn’t find the info myself and figured someone may have it handy. I wanted to provide facts instead of hearsay when shared. Apologies if it was offensive. Perhaps I could’ve worded the request differently. 

On 10/29/2022 at 11:46 PM, BandFan59 said:

Now that all areas have finished, it seems fitting to start this thread for predictions for the state contest. The 2022 6A UIL State Marching Contest will take place at the Alamodome from November 7-8, 2021.

Prelims Schedule (42) - Monday, November 7th

8:30 - Duncanville H.S.
8:45 - LD Bell H.S.
9:00 - The Woodlands College Park H.S.
9:15 - Cedar Ridge H.S.
9:30 - Pearland H.S.
9:45 - Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S.
10:00 - Timber Creek H.S.
10:15 - Cypress Woods H.S.

10:45 - Flower Mound H.S.
11:00 - Ronald Reagan H.S.
11:15 - Stephen F. Austin H.S.
11:30 - Bridgeland H.S.
11:45 - Wylie H.S.
12:00 - Keller H.S.
12:15 - Lake Travis H.S.
12:30 - Frenship H.S.

1:30 - James E. Taylor H.S.
1:45 - Hebron H.S.
2:00 - The Woodlands H.S.
2:15 - Midland H.S.
2:30 - John B. Alexander H.S.
2:45 - Hanna H.S.
3:00 - Westlake H.S.
3:15 - Waxahachie H.S.
3:30 - Dickinson H.S.

4:00 - Vista Ridge H.S.
4:15 - Tomball Memorial H.S.
4:30 - Klein Oak H.S.
4:45 - Seven Lakes H.S.
5:00 - Harlingen H.S.
5:15 - Wylie East H.S.
5:30 - Oak Ridge H.S.
5:45 - Coppell H.S.

7:00 - Marcus H.S.
7:15 - Clear Brook H.S.
7:30 - Permian H.S.
7:45 - Dawson H.S.
8:00 - Round Rock H.S.
8:15 - Vandegrift H.S.
8:30 - Dripping Springs H.S.
8:45 - McKinney Boyd H.S.
9:00 - Cy-Fair H.S.

9:15 - Exhibition - University of Incarnate Word

9:30 - Finalists Announced

Unfortunately Box5TV is not covering the streaming for this event this year because the NFHS network evidently has the first right of refusal for UIL events. Evidently this year the football streaming service has decided to actually cover the Texas SMBC. Go figure. 

www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/uil/gam98fb0053f3 (6A morning prelims)

www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/uil/gam5225775c3a (6A afternoon prelims)

www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/uil/gama9d4cea3b3 ( 6A finals)

1 hour ago, LeanderMomma said:

Unfortunately Box5TV is not covering the streaming for this event this year because the NFHS network evidently has the first right of refusal for UIL events. Evidently this year the football streaming service has decided to actually cover the Texas SMBC. Go figure. 

www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/uil/gam98fb0053f3 (6A morning prelims)

www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/uil/gam5225775c3a (6A afternoon prelims)

www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/uil/gama9d4cea3b3 ( 6A finals)

Well that sucks considering I have a years subscription to Box5 and none for NFHSnetwork...ugh.