UIL Area A 4A/6A

• RaElk99 changed the title to UIL Area A 4A/6A

So for 4A, I would say the three we will see at State are Canyon, Canyon Randall, and Big Spring, but Andrews HS is definitely up there as well!

For 6A, I have a strong feeling that Permian and Frenship will take the top 2 spots and third place will be a fight between all the bands! Really hoping Americas HS makes it, but I could see Pebble Hills, Montwood, Coronado, etc...taking that third place spot!

5 hours ago, Dave609 said:

So for 4A, I would say the three we will see at State are Canyon, Canyon Randall, and Big Spring, but Andrews HS is definitely up there as well!

For 6A, I have a strong feeling that Permian and Frenship will take the top 2 spots and third place will be a fight between all the bands! Really hoping Americas HS makes it, but I could see Pebble Hills, Montwood, Coronado, etc...taking that third place spot!

I agree with your 4A predictions. I think West Plains will probably make finals which would be awesome for their very first year. Hereford made state last year but think they will miss it this year. 

6A, also agree about Permian and Frenship for spots one and two. I think maybe Midland for the last spot. 

Thanks for sharing some attention for the West Texas groups.     

*just curious - why would Frenship be considered for top 2 at Area? 
At Midland BOA Permian and Midland HS were the only area bands in finals….  

Also, the El Paso bands includes some top contenders as well… 

wish these contests were live streamed!!

10 hours ago, bk_bobb said:

Thanks for sharing some attention for the West Texas groups.     

*just curious - why would Frenship be considered for top 2 at Area? 
At Midland BOA Permian and Midland HS were the only area bands in finals….  

Also, the El Paso bands includes some top contenders as well… 

wish these contests were live streamed!!

I think Frenship just missed making finals at BOA in Midland. So I think with the improvements they've made since then they will come up on top. I do think Midland will do well at UIL too though. 

Really Area A is one of those contest's that you never know who will come out on top and thats what I love most about this Area! If it does end up being Permian, Frenship, and Midland, then that will be a great group to represent Area A at the State contest! But we will have to wait and see 

After looking up some El Paso marching info….  Here are the scores of a recent marching contest {c/o Borderland Marching on FB}:

2022- SISD Marchfest Final Placements

8th- Socorro High School
7th- Franklin High School
6th- Eastwood High School
5th- Parkland High School
4th- Eastlake High School
3rd- Pebble Hills High School
2nd- Coronado High School
1st- Hanks High School (Champions)

/// Hanks is 5A so its really a toss up amongst some great programs.  

The El Paso bands have historically done well at area, so I'd be surprised if at least of them didn't advance to state. I could see any of Pebble Hills/Coronado/Eastlake taking one of the top 3 spots, or possibly two of the top 3 spots.

Also worth mentioning: while Midland did beat Frenship and Central at BOA Midland, they did it off the back of GE. In prelims, they were 17th overall in Music Performance and 13th overall in Visual performance, behind both Frenship and Central. They were helped out a lot by a 2nd overall score in Visual GE(!) and a 7th overall score in GE. Given the differences in scoring between BOA and UIL, I don't think they'll place quite as high here, but I'd love to see them prove me wrong and advance to state!

18 hours ago, eggmikey said:

The El Paso bands have historically done well at area, so I'd be surprised if at least of them didn't advance to state. I could see any of Pebble Hills/Coronado/Eastlake taking one of the top 3 spots, or possibly two of the top 3 spots.

Also worth mentioning: while Midland did beat Frenship and Central at BOA Midland, they did it off the back of GE. In prelims, they were 17th overall in Music Performance and 13th overall in Visual performance, behind both Frenship and Central. They were helped out a lot by a 2nd overall score in Visual GE(!) and a 7th overall score in GE. Given the differences in scoring between BOA and UIL, I don't think they'll place quite as high here, but I'd love to see them prove me wrong and advance to state!

Good points indeed!  

While I would love for Midland (or Legacy) to make it to state, I’m wondering if their shows are bit too “BoA” for the UIL standards.  

either way good luck to all the bands competing tomorrow!!  

44 minutes ago, eggmikey said:

6A advancers to sate:

Midland

Frenship 

Permian

Congrats to Midland on their first state appearance since (I think) 2002! And congrats on Frenship and Permian for their second consecutive appearances at state!

Wow this is great for Midland!!   

im sure this was a very close competition for those 3 spots.  Congrats to all bands competing in Area competitions and good luck at state!