I would say that every band here is looking considerably better than they were last season. Mount Pleasant's show is visually shocking (they have the Bluecoats '17 prop as well as just a ton of visuals) as well as having a cool musical selection. Marshall in my biased opinion has a very good show and is sounding way better this year. Pine Tree's brass is also honestly very powerful, though I'm not the biggest fan of their show. I haven't really seen any of the others in person to judge, Red Oak from what I saw is looking good though. North Mesquite may see some success in 5A, even though they were in the middle of Area C in 6A. I think this is going to be very interesting. 

P.S. 9 bands are attending; they are taking 7 bands to finals. We will see who makes finals. Also finals awards has full band retreat :))

On 10/21/2022 at 5:40 PM, Vin said:

I would say that every band here is looking considerably better than they were last season. Mount Pleasant's show is visually shocking (they have the Bluecoats '17 prop as well as just a ton of visuals) as well as having a cool musical selection. Marshall in my biased opinion has a very good show and is sounding way better this year. Pine Tree's brass is also honestly very powerful, though I'm not the biggest fan of their show. I haven't really seen any of the others in person to judge, Red Oak from what I saw is looking good though. North Mesquite may see some success in 5A, even though they were in the middle of Area C in 6A. I think this is going to be very interesting. 

P.S. 9 bands are attending; they are taking 7 bands to finals. We will see who makes finals. Also finals awards has full band retreat :))

Top 7 to Finals 

7:30 Forney 

7:45 Poteet

8:00 North Mesquite 

8:15 Texas High

8:30 Mount Pleasant 

8:45 Red Oak 

9:00 Pine Tree

Forney completely wiped the competition in this comp though. I am surprised North Mesquite did not place higher. They were very clean marching wise and sounded very balanced with good sounds. Their general effect and visual may have been what held them back. Forney's general effect was insane, honestly felt like I was watching a DCI corps in some parts.

54 minutes ago, Vin said:

Forney completely wiped the competition in this comp though. I am surprised North Mesquite did not place higher. They were very clean marching wise and sounded very balanced with good sounds. Their general effect and visual may have been what held them back. Forney's general effect was insane, honestly felt like I was watching a DCI corps in some parts.

They should really balance out Area B and Area C for 5A. 

area B is still super difficult while area C had 12 bands at area last year and only 9 this year. 

5 hours ago, Vin said:

Me too, I am unsure of why they deserved the bottom spot. Their General Effect impresses me and their playing sounds great imo. Not sure what they did wrong.

The only thing I can think of is that they didn’t march enough.  With the band coming out onto the field slowly in phases, maybe the judges thought it was too conservative of an approach. I was thinking while they were performing that they might get dinged for not having the whole band out on the field sooner. 

4 hours ago, DallasFan said:

They should really balance out Area B and Area C for 5A. 

area B is still super difficult while area C had 12 bands at area last year and only 9 this year. 

I’ve been wondering how things are going to look in a couple of years with the next realignment. Forney will definitely be 6A by then. It makes me wonder how the 5A and 6A Area C landscapes might change. When Forney is no longer 5A it will leave this current area contest even smaller as it stands. I am also curious if enrollment is increasing at Poteet and North Mesquite that would send them into 6A. 

12 hours ago, batteryischarged said:

I’ve been wondering how things are going to look in a couple of years with the next realignment. Forney will definitely be 6A by then. It makes me wonder how the 5A and 6A Area C landscapes might change. When Forney is no longer 5A it will leave this current area contest even smaller as it stands. I am also curious if enrollment is increasing at Poteet and North Mesquite that would send them into 6A. 

Oh geez, Forney becoming 6A area C would just make that area even harder. 

22 hours ago, batteryischarged said:

Both Poteet and North Mesquite have actually had their enrollments decrease. Poteet from 1850 to 1650 and NM from 2850 to 2150. Both due to a new technical high school opening in MISD, and NM also had their attendance zone shrunk. Lastly, both have little land left in their zones to build housing so it's unlikely they'll move up to 6A ever again with the cutoff increasing every year.

On 10/24/2022 at 8:44 PM, TexasTromboner said:

Both Poteet and North Mesquite have actually had their enrollments decrease. Poteet from 1850 to 1650 and NM from 2850 to 2150. Both due to a new technical high school opening in MISD, and NM also had their attendance zone shrunk. Lastly, both have little land left in their zones to build housing so it's unlikely they'll move up to 6A ever again with the cutoff increasing every year.

It’ll be interesting to see, once Forney is gone to 6A, if Poteet will return to their glory days of dominating this area contest.

It’ll be interesting to see, once Forney is gone to 6A, if Poteet will return to their glory days of dominating this area contest.

I'd like to think that areas B, C, & F will be merged into two more balanced areas, where one has the current area F bands plus the Denton County schools from area B, while the other has the remaining area B bands plus the area C bands.

On 10/27/2022 at 8:31 AM, batteryischarged said:

I highly would doubt that, after Newman left for Forney, Poteet seemingly has started to decrease in how good they are. However, I will admit this is their best show since then. It’s always a possibility, but it truly depends on their quality of shows after Forney getting moved up.

On 10/27/2022 at 8:26 AM, batteryischarged said:

Definitely. Isn’t Highland Park in Area B now?  I just can’t figure out how these alignments are assigned. Is there a line of demarcation in the Metroplex that is used?

Highland Park is Area B now. But Forney would definitely be area c because North Forney is in C. But who knows maybe they change the area when the time comes.